Quantcast

(*) One Derp gmt(^)

For @jonKranked here's a pretty good video showing Porc Rim in it's entirety.

I think Seth is a pretty good story teller, and he definitely gets some highlights of the trail. There are some actually techy sections that require fairly precise riding, particularly in the last section "Porcupine Singletrack" which is in my top 3 sections of this ride. I think I still like the Burro Pass section better, but it's higher up than these guys were able to start.

No no no... you go first.
V and I did the top part; sometime I want to get back and ride the whole thing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is Horsethief part of all this? Because that drop-in looks fun!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It's one of my favorite rides, but you have to admit, losing a few miles of that double track would make it betterer.
I dunno - the thing about TWE is that *every* section is a hoot, and such different character. I just *love* riding that doubletrack and all its fun chunk at mach schnell. IMO, the best (most fun) lines are almost always NOT the main line on that doubletrack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For @jonKranked here's a pretty good video showing Porc Rim in it's entirety.

I think Seth is a pretty good story teller, and he definitely gets some highlights of the trail. There are some actually techy sections that require fairly precise riding, particularly in the last section "Porcupine Singletrack" which is in my top 3 sections of this ride. I think I still like the Burro Pass section better, but it's higher up than these guys were able to start.

No no no... you go first.
I remember after moving to socal and starting to ride there, the sheer amount of exposure was... unnerving, after growing up riding on the east coast in the woods. I remember having some real "oh shit" moments at places like Mammoth and SJT

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
mmmmm....mach looney chunk. i need to get out west to ride.

we get dat fast chunk in some places in the hills around here. and not rock exposure, but definitely some fast downhill sidehill sections on slopes with super steep grades where you don't wanna get tossed off line for sure.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Porcupine doubletrack is really polarizing. It seems like folks either love it or hate it. Except @stoney, who knocked hisself fucking silly and can't even remember it.
I totally forgot about that. :think:

Where the fuck did he crash on that one?
I think about halfway down. We were hauling ass and I had a weird hit that threw me forward and then my hand popped off on the next hit. Tumble at full speed. Wasn't fun.

Have you met stoney?
I don't know what you're talking about.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I remember after moving to socal and starting to ride there, the sheer amount of exposure was... unnerving, after growing up riding on the east coast in the woods. I remember having some real "oh shit" moments at places like Mammoth and SJT
I totally forgot about SJT. That's one of those trails I grew up riding on a rigid bike with canti's.
Also some of the stuff dropping into Laguna Canyon is fucking gnarly.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I totally forgot about SJT. That's one of those trails I grew up riding on a rigid bike with canti's.
Also some of the stuff dropping into Laguna Canyon is fucking gnarly.
i remember trying to chase bobby root down SJT a few times and to this day i'm not sure how i survived

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dude.

Do you even ride, bro?

Oh, wait. Most of this shit you *can't* ride.

:D
I don’t like to venture far from home. Too much driving.

Re kokopelli: might be legal! Not sure if the managers ever put out the guidance as directed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don’t like to venture far from home. Too much driving.

Re kokopelli: might be legal! Not sure if the managers ever put out the guidance as directed.

too far from a charging station?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i wish i had trails around here that scared me

These days I get anxious before rides. That all goes away once I get on the bike though. I am typically pretty cautious, conservative and deliberate on a new trail. Then once I clean everything am as cautious as a drunk frat boy on spring break. It's all shits, giggles, and E.R. visits.

There are a few trails that I have been trying to avoid lately because I want to keep this pre-corpse functional for a few more years.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
These days I get anxious before rides. That all goes away once I get on the bike though. I am typically pretty cautious, conservative and deliberate on a new trail. Then once I clean everything am as cautious as a drunk frat boy on spring break. It's all shits, giggles, and E.R. visits.

There are a few trails that I have been trying to avoid lately because I want to keep this pre-corpse functional for a few more years.
the "hard" stuff in my immediate vicinity (about an hour any direction) is really just pedally xc sufferfest type stuff. there's a handful of sections that are technically challenging but none of them really last more than a minute, tops (edit: and still aren't scary).

So uh... When you coming to CO to ride? @Full Trucker knows some places you should go to. I'll make sure to ride mid-pack, because taking point never ends well for me.
post lawsuit / once kids are older?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the "hard" stuff in my immediate vicinity (about an hour any direction) is really just pedally xc sufferfest type stuff. there's a handful of sections that are technically challenging but none of them really last more than a minute, tops (edit: and still aren't scary).
Try riding them on a cross bike (or gravel bike as the kids call them these days). Makes boring trails interesting again. Bonus is that it is a pretty good training.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Try riding them on a cross bike (or gravel bike as the kids call them these days). Makes boring trails interesting again. Bonus is that it is a pretty good training.
i do see some cross bikes on a few of the trails, but unfortunately due to a past back injury i can't ride rigid/hardtail bikes on trails.