Quantcast

Snowshoe update

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
They have posted all the rates info on the ridesnowshoe site. It looks like the best deal is to get a season pass (with 1 free race entry). It works out about the same $. You get some of the expense out of the way now so you'll have more beer money that weekend

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
All the #s are the same as T-Pro stated from the start, it would be a good guess the the race fee would probably be the same as well. I don't see sn dropping it below $25. sorry dude i thought i saw it on there yesterday.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
So, at those prices, how many of those in this thread (and beyond this thread) will only be attending one race or less?!?!?!?! Honestly, I can see myself skipping the Snowshoe races this year simply due to the sheer cost.......the sport is already expensive enough and I don't have the endless cash flow to cower to their entry fees. Looks like I will be finding other race locations or lift riding on those weekends if this indeed is the final word on pricing.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I'm skipping the first race for sure. I am looking at alternative races for our entire team for the second race. We will be at the last race for sure. I just have a hard time justifing more cost than the US Open. That's pretty much the limit.

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Thanks for calling me out... JK

Changes to the previous stated race event fees will not occur at this time. With the closing winter season and the current seasonal operational hold, much focus toward last minute changes isn't a primary focus at this time. We will be sure to refresh the subject come summer preparations and fresh minds to see if a change is respected.

Hopefully everyone's spring is going well and there is plenty of riding being had now that the weather has started to turn. I know I will be getting my fair share!

Trevyn

Nov 3, 2003
Virginia
T-Pro, can you give us more details on the lift and shuttle schedules for the Basin and Western Territory sides.
I love the fact that the Western Territory Lift we be open every weekend from July through August, what about the remainder of the week?
We prefer to ride the Western Territory, and frequently come up to the resort during the week.
Thanks

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
just be thankful they're open every weekend now.
that's a huge step in the right direction.

i'd bet there's not even close to enough riders there during the week to warrent them running it then.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
A good alternative might be Wisp Resort. Though the mountain is not quite as big, their lift runs seven days a week and they are showing serious dedication to developing their trails. Prices are very reasonable and there will be as many as four races there this year. Three of the races are included in the Mid-Atlantic Cup. Two of those three races will be a part of the Gravity East series. Hope to see you there!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
A good alternative might be Wisp Resort. Though the mountain is not quite as big, their lift runs seven days a week and they are showing serious dedication to developing their trails. Prices are very reasonable and there will be as many as four races there this year. Three of the races are included in the Mid-Atlantic Cup. Two of those three races will be a part of the Gravity East series. Hope to see you there!

While I enjoyed WISP quite a bit, and vacationed there a couple years ago, I cannot agree with you on WISP being an alternative. This is more so true with people driving from central VA, NC and SC. It would be extremely cost prohibitive for the distance one has to travel, and the pay off insofar as the mountain itself (riding, variety) is not truly worth it.

Conversely, the staff at WISP and the locals are very friendly, and the area quite simply is beautiful. It's a fun place, but certainly not an alternative. However, one must make that determination for oneself; this is simply my opinion.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
While I enjoyed WISP quite a bit, and vacationed there a couple years ago, I cannot agree with you on WISP being an alternative. This is more so true with people driving from central VA, NC and SC. It would be extremely cost prohibitive for the distance one has to travel, and the pay off insofar as the mountain itself (riding, variety) is not truly worth it.

Conversely, the staff at WISP and the locals are very friendly, and the area quite simply is beautiful. It's a fun place, but certainly not an alternative. However, one must make that determination for oneself; this is simply my opinion.
my god - you sounds like you just graduated from college or something -

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
How many are getting season passes this year? I've already ordered mine, but I plan on being up there a lot of the summer, since I'm only a couple hours away.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
yeah, opening weekend is gonna be sick. I have to miss Friday though because of my graduation ceremonies. Damn high school. Anyway, If you see a goofy guy with a white guy fro riding a faith 2, say hey.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
if they start running the shuttle on friday like they have the last few years I may head up on thurs. night and sleep in the truck so I can be on the bike early on friday. anybody heard if they are running the lift sat and sun that weekend?

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
if they start running the shuttle on friday like they have the last few years I may head up on thurs. night and sleep in the truck so I can be on the bike early on friday. anybody heard if they are running the lift sat and sun that weekend?
Im pretty positive both lifts will be running opening weekend. And as far as I know the shuttle will be running that friday. A bunch of us are showing up thursday night and riding fri-sun.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Yeah as far as I know, everything opens up on friday. I'm kinda bummed that i'm gonna miss that day. I'm not real sure, but I think my group is camping down at silvercreek. Anybody doing likewise?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Im pretty positive both lifts will be running opening weekend. And as far as I know the shuttle will be running that friday. A bunch of us are showing up thursday night and riding fri-sun.
Sounds good. Hope to see you there. I will be on a blue and black GT DHi.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
How about a tent? I have a 12 man tent I can bring....

Hollywood

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
Frederick, MD
I would like to get down to Snowshoe I ride Diablo a lot but the best I can tell is i am the same distance to both of them. Two things that stop me are how do I get to Snowshoe and where do I camp. I have managed the directions to Cass I think but after that it gets weird if i remember correct. I have heard silvercreek mentioned before. Can anyone offer up info on how to get two both places from I-81 or any better way from MD. Most directions say go I-81 one says go out I-70 to I-68 and cut through Northen WV. Getting lost in WV jsut doesn't sound fun for some reason.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Any source for where you heard they're running the western lift opening weekend? That'd seal the deal on making the trip up from GA.

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
i 81 to staunton va, take hwy 250 west to monterey va left on hwy 220 south 5 miles to 84 west to frost wvturn right toward greenbank and follow the signs to snowshoe, left on 66 to a right into the snowshoe entrance. most va maps have most of that route because it is so close to the state line.
coming from the north there may be another way?????

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Any source for where you heard they're running the western lift opening weekend? That'd seal the deal on making the trip up from GA.

Western lift operations are currently scheduled to operate every weekend July-August. The western lift will also operate on any other bike focused event weekend
Opening weekend has been the Memorial Day Freeride Festival the past 2 years that I've gone. Which is a "bike focused event weekend". And they've had the western lift running both years I've been there for it.

Thats pretty much all Im going by.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I would like to get down to Snowshoe I ride Diablo a lot but the best I can tell is i am the same distance to both of them. Two things that stop me are how do I get to Snowshoe and where do I camp. I have managed the directions to Cass I think but after that it gets weird if i remember correct. I have heard silvercreek mentioned before. Can anyone offer up info on how to get two both places from I-81 or any better way from MD. Most directions say go I-81 one says go out I-70 to I-68 and cut through Northen WV. Getting lost in WV jsut doesn't sound fun for some reason.
If you have diretions to cass you are there. cass is at the bottom of snowshoe. There is only one road through cass. Follow it up the mountain to the top, turn left at the SS sign and keep going all the way to the top.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Man...that is so tempting to ride Snowshoe on opening weekend. But I just picture Diablo and Dominion to Alpine flowing through my head and those last sets of berms and tabletops/step-ups/step downs..."sigh"

12 hour drive...but dammit...gotta do it!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Man...that is so tempting to ride Snowshoe on opening weekend. But I just picture Diablo and Dominion to Alpine flowing through my head and those last sets of berms and tabletops/step-ups/step downs..."sigh"

12 hour drive...but dammit...gotta do it!
Sounds nice. I am hoping to make it there this summer. Planning on taking a week off and doing a road trip. Meet up with some buddies at SS and ride for a day or two. Then drive up to diablo for acouple days then maybe up to platakill depending on how we feel.