Quantcast

So yeah....I need one

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
I love the boxster but I won't defend it. It is a waste of oxygen and brain cells because the arguee usually has no idea what the boxster is capable of. The "chick car" comment is such a cliche with no basis. This is how a boxster conversation usually goes.

me: boxster is a monster on the track
other: boxster sucks, it's a chick car, it only has 250 hp
me: what kind of car do you drive
other: I have a phat civic plastured with APC stickers and riddled with performance parts I am still paying off on my Pep Boys credit car.
me: right....

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
jmvar said:
I love the boxster but I won't defend it. It is a waste of oxygen and brain cells because the arguee usually has no idea what the boxster is capable of. The "chick car" comment is such a cliche with no basis. This is how a boxster conversation usually goes.

me: boxster is a monster on the track
other: boxster sucks, it's a chick car, it only has 250 hp
me: what kind of car do you drive
other: I have a phat civic plastured with APC stickers and riddled with performance parts I am still paying off on my Pep Boys credit car.
me: right....
HAHA! Pep Boys credit card!

Huh...so it's not just the people around here that say it's a chicks car? I wonder where that came from? I was just being a smart ass, but everytime I hear a guy say chicks car about a Boxxter I always say how so, and they say it just is...only chicks drive em.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I think to the average guy the boxter is a chick car. If a guy want's a roadster (which from my experience is what most people consider the boxter), they are going to buy Z4s or TTs and the like - high profile roadsters, not a Porsche as Porsche is not knows for its roadsters. If a guy wants a sports car, he's going to want a Porsche, not a BMW.

I think the Boxter is a nice car - the S is a great car. But I think Porsche needs to be more direct in it's marketing. Either market it as a sports car (in which case they would be killing themselves, IMO) or a roadster (which would be better from a sales standpoint considering they have the 911 as their sports car).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
dh girlie said:
I still think its understated sassiness...it's flashy, but not TOO flashy...and it just sounds sassy!
Absolutely. It's on my list of "must have" cars someday.......

Actually, it's the *only* car on my "must have" list. :D

Probably when I'm middle aged. Like 40. ;)

-S.S.-

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
boxsters are total wastes of money. poor mans porshe- poor and porshe should never be said in the same sentence unless you are poor from just buying your porshe carrera gt, 911, gt2, gt3, carrera 4, carrera 4s etc. my 4runner will absolutely spank a boxster s 0-60, 1/4 mile you name it, and once i get my new suspension and low pro tires on the dubs it will out g it on corners. for the price of the boxster you could get an r32 (drool), sti, evo, s2k etc.

if your gonna get a sports car save up and get a real one. my dads buddy had a 96 911 sold it and got a boxter s and laughed his ass off. sold it 3 days later back to the dealer and got a carrera 4s- thats a real sports car

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
dexter said:
boxsters are total wastes of money. poor mans porshe- poor and porshe should never be said in the same sentence unless you are poor from just buying your porshe carrera gt, 911, gt2, gt3, carrera 4, carrera 4s etc. my 4runner will absolutely spank a boxster s 0-60, 1/4 mile you name it, and once i get my new suspension and low pro tires on the dubs it will out g it on corners. for the price of the boxster you could get an r32 (drool), sti, evo, s2k etc.

if your gonna get a sports car save up and get a real one. my dads buddy had a 96 911 sold it and got a boxter s and laughed his ass off. sold it 3 days later back to the dealer and got a carrera 4s- thats a real sports car
For the price you could even get a used 911 or even a converted 930.

911 is definitely #1 on my list of must have cars, followed by a WRX/STi/EVO8. But once I'm out of college I'm definitely getting one whether its taking a bigass loan for a newer one or finding a classic one with widebody kit, turbo flares, whaletail and 5spd. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
lotus elise. base price is ~43K or so, so while it's a ton of $, it's the same as the boxster and a bit more than the TT (depending on model selected). they are finally importing them into the US. would see a few around dublin. i was always a sucker for the lotus esprit too...did the elan ever make in to the US?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
COmtbiker12 said:
<snip> But once I'm out of college I'm definitely getting one whether its taking a bigass loan for a newer one or finding a classic one with widebody kit, turbo flares, whaletail and 5spd. :D
Better get a *really* good job to make the insurance payments.......... :eek:

-S.S.-

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
lotus elise. base price is ~43K or so, so while it's a ton of $, it's the same as the boxster and a bit more than the TT (depending on model selected). they are finally importing them into the US. would see a few around dublin. i was always a sucker for the lotus esprit too...did the elan ever make in to the US?
43K isn't really that bad...the Volvo I want starts at 45K...I wouldn't spend that on a car, but really, you want a nice loaded new car, you have to spend at lease 30K.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dh girlie said:
43K isn't really that bad...the Volvo I want starts at 45K...I wouldn't spend that on a car, but really, you want a nice loaded new car, you have to spend at lease 30K.
30K...yikes.

i will get another decade or two out of me before i spend that kinda coin on a vehicle.

what volvo are you looking at, the xc90? a swedish ford escape?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i was just curious as to what a 30K car would cost. if you put 6K down and get 10K for trade-in, your monthly payment is $477 (36 month loan, 6.86% rate).

damn, that's a lot of money! what are people's average car loans looking like?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
narlus said:
i was just curious as to what a 30K car would cost. if you put 6K down and get 10K for trade-in, your monthly payment is $477 (36 month loan, 6.86% rate).

thats a pretty sick interest rate... our volvo (2004 xc70) was about 32K, nearly 39K list with the goodies we got... had a decent down payment - about 1/3 of the cost but we decided to finance the lot because the interest rate was so low - 3.7%... payments of 600 per month, the exact amount of our COLA (military - cost of living allowance)... i couldn t / wouldn t pay that much if we had CC debt or the like, but for us at the moment it s pretty much a no-brainer... one trip down to austria @ 120mph would convince anyone... worth every penny...

i like the s60R... that thing is sick

i agree with stosh, the boxster is for gaylords... capri pants and j-lo sunnies all the way...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
30K...yikes.

i will get another decade or two out of me before i spend that kinda coin on a vehicle.

what volvo are you looking at, the xc90? a swedish ford escape?
yeah...the xc 90 with the V8. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend. I'll probably 'just' get my Jeep...I've decided against the hemi cuz I found out it comes in a V8 and I don't need to spend another 8 grand just to have the hemi. I want all the trimmings on the next car I buy.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dh girlie said:
yeah...the xc 90 with the V8. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend. I'll probably 'just' get my Jeep...I've decided against the hemi cuz I found out it comes in a V8 and I don't need to spend another 8 grand just to have the hemi. I want all the trimmings on the next car I buy.
we looked at the xc90... there was a 14 month wait... said no and got the xc70... couldn t be happier... infact i m glad we don t have the 90...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:

Yeah that's kinda a high rate...my credit union offers somewhere around 4% if you have good credit...also, 36 months is only 3 years. I'd go for a 5 year loan.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
partsbara said:
we looked at the xc90... there was a 14 month wait... said no and got the xc70... couldn t be happier... infact i m glad we don t have the 90...

I haven't seriously looked at them...just saw them on the commercial, and I've always liked the 'old' ones...I have been looking at the 05 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokees. www.carsdirect.com you get a WAY better deal than the dealership (even though you GET it at the dealership) and no bs hagglin with the car salesmen. They'll track down the one you want, etc.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dh girlie said:
I haven't seriously looked at them...just saw them on the commercial, and I've always liked the 'old' ones...I have been looking at the 05 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokees. www.carsdirect.com you get a WAY better deal than the dealership (even though you GET it at the dealership) and no bs hagglin with the car salesmen. They'll track down the one you want, etc.
do yaself a favour and order one through the volvo OSD program (overseas delivery)... they have a web page but i m not sure of the link... you save thousands off the price of the car and you get to pick it up in sweden at the factory.... we travelled up there and drove / ferried ours back to germany.... awesome trip... literally saved about 7K...

and narlus... yeah, i know ford owns volvo, but you can t compare an escape to this thing... the finish quality is like putting a turner up against a SC.... seriously...