Quantcast

So yeah....I need one

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
partsbara said:
do yaself a favour and order one through the volvo OSD program (overseas delivery)... they have a web page but i m not sure of the link... you save thousands off the price of the car and you get to pick it up in sweden at the factory.... we travelled up there and drove / ferried ours back to germany.... awesome trip... literally saved about 7K...

and narlus... yeah, i know ford owns volvo, but you can t compare an escape to this thing... the finish quality is like putting a turner up against a SC.... seriously...
Sweden is awfully far from San Jose, CA...I think I'd better stick to buying one on this side of the pond! Carsdirect will save you about that much...I have 3 friends who have purchased through cars direct...I like the wagons too...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I think the TT is much more of a chick car than the Boxter. It's just a shmancy Beetle convertible and looks like it. Still not as chicky like a Miata or Mini, tho.

Where do y'all think the Merc SLK stacks up? How about SL? Haven't seen those mentioned yet.

Oh, and good luck getting parts for your Elise when that lovely british engineering acts up.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
dh girlie said:
Sweden is awfully far from San Jose, CA...I think I'd better stick to buying one on this side of the pond! Carsdirect will save you about that much...I have 3 friends who have purchased through cars direct...I like the wagons too...
Don't know about the volvo program, but several of the european car makers have them, and include the shipping of the car back as part of the pickup. In other words, you pick it up in europe, drive around for a while, drive it onto a boat, and pick it up in Long Beach again. Apparently it's still cheaper than picking it up stateside and you get a nice vacation.

here's the BMW version

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Barbaton said:
I think the TT is much more of a chick car than the Boxter. It's just a shmancy Beetle convertible and looks like it. Still not as chicky like a Miata or Mini, tho.

Where do y'all think the Merc SLK stacks up? How about SL? Haven't seen those mentioned yet.

Oh, and good luck getting parts for your Elise when that lovely british engineering acts up.

I see lotsa dudes driving minis....

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
dh girlie said:
really, i thought it was down the road ;)... basically you can have a free - laid on - vacation... you don t think of it as a saving off the car price... think of it as a free trip... and you get to tour the factory and drive around the test track...

plus, the swedish women are hot... long blond hair girls with big... uummm eyes, driving forklifts !!!!!!!! WORTH THE TICKET ALONE ;)

yeah, i know... i m a perv... but even my wife noticed the hot women working at the factory...

but listening to the ace of fvcking base got pretty old... that sh1t was played everywhere... talk about hanging on to the past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
partsbara said:
really, i thought it was down the road ;)... basically you can have a free - laid on - vacation... you don t think of it as a saving off the car price... think of it as a free trip... and you get to tour the factory and drive around the test track...

plus, the swedish women are hot... long blond hair girls with big... uummm eyes, driving forklifts !!!!!!!! WORTH THE TICKET ALONE ;)

yeah, i know... i m a perv... but even my wife noticed the hot women working at the factory...

but listening to the ace of fvcking base got pretty old... that sh1t was played everywhere... talk about hanging on to the past !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? they pay for you to go??? I could care less about the chicks...and I can't stand ace of base but I would love going to sweden.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise

My best friend has one of these in better shape, Its so much fun to drive, and SO FAST :drool: All it needs is a roof rack

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
do a google search for volvo OSD... they don t pay you, but basically like barbs says, it s a free vacation.... ie, the savings on the cost of the car more than cover the cost of the trip...

it s a great program... sweden is a cool place to visit... did i mention that the chicks are hotter than shizzzz ?? ;)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
chicodude01 said:

My best friend has one of these in better shape, Its so much fun to drive, and SO FAST :drool: All it needs is a roof rack
if you think that thing is fast you need to re-configure your speedometer...

you should see the number of 'playerz' around here (military fools) in 3 series BM's.... POS if ya ask me...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - speed is a relative thing, don't you know? You should see *his* vehicle. Compared to that, the 3-series is a rocket........ :D

-S.S.-

It's 5 series numbnuts. I didn't say it was stock either.

I am sure just about everything is faster than what I drive, but when your car breaks down, I can tow it home for you..............

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
SkaredShtles said:
Dude - speed is a relative thing, don't you know? You should see *his* vehicle. Compared to that, the 3-series is a rocket........ :D

-S.S.-

very true... everything is fast compared to my 1991 f one fiddy shuttle rig :)

NOTE - since this picture i ve had the rims custom painted matte black (by myself) with a 0.99c rattle can... pure class :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
chicodude01 said:
It's 5 series numbnuts. I didn't say it was stock either.

I am sure just about everything is faster than what I drive, but when your car breaks down, I can tow it home for you..............
Nope - I have a Subaru. No breaking down for me. :D

This is the BMW I always wanted to have:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
partsbara said:
very true... everything is fast compared to my 1991 f one fiddy shuttle rig :)

NOTE - since this picture i ve had the rims custom painted matte black (by myself) with a 0.99c rattle can... pure class :)
i see your 1991 f one shiddy fuddle rig and raise you a tan 1987 Dakota with little front end, not much back end, and hand-prints, footprints, and native-style painting on the sides. Throw on one tonneau cover missing a window and 4 ****tayass 1-ply tires and you got yourself a 2wd New Mexico shuttlin' machine.

aah, the upside of an inspection-less state.

you'll have to picture since any pictures are, alas, with the truck, in NM

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Barbaton said:
i see your 1991 f one shiddy fuddle rig and raise you a tan 1987 Dakota with little front end, not much back end, and hand-prints, footprints, and native-style painting on the sides. Throw on one tonneau cover missing a window and 4 ****tayass 1-ply tires and you got yourself a 2wd New Mexico shuttlin' machine.

aah, the upside of an inspection-less state.

you'll have to picture since any pictures are, alas, with the truck, in NM

ghettotastic mate !! :thumb:

go off !!!!

horray for ****ty shuttle trucks

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you are lucky, you might hear some Soundtrack of our Lives or Art of Fighting on the sverge airwaves instead of Ace of Base...

a 5 year car loan is really really retarded, imo. just as you are done paying it off, you're ready to turn it around. unless you are one of those people who drive the thing into the ground over 12-15 years, which i'm guessing yr not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dexter said:
my 4runner will absolutely spank a boxster s 0-60, 1/4 mile you name it, and once i get my new suspension and low pro tires on the dubs it will out g it on corners.
uh, say what? a boxster s will do about 14 flat in the quarter mile. i'd like to see a 4runner do that, or pull .90g with any kind of tires...

and thad, i agree on the TT. design was so poor aerodynamically that audi had to recall the initial batch to install that ugly little trunk spoiler since german drivers were experiencing feelings of liftoff, rear end first, on the far side of 100 mph.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have thought nothing that Porsche has made after the 356 has been visually appealing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
uh, say what? a boxster s will do about 14 flat in the quarter mile. i'd like to see a 4runner do that, or pull .90g with any kind of tires...
it would go even faster if Dexter had his polo shirt collar down.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Boxter, Z3, Miata.

Either for chicks or 45yr old recently divorced guys going through midlife crisis.

If you must have a roadster.....the Honda S2000 will smoke all the above, get better mileage (save for the Miata) and cost you less to maintain.

Personally, I think if I were going to drop over $40k on something it'd have to be either the new Vette or an M3 (certified pre-owned).

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the slk is a good car but also very girlish. the sl series is a nice rig but the only ones worth getting in my opinion are the sl55 amg, sl500, or the sl600 with the renntech kit on it drooolllll. got to drive one of these in black down in florida over spring break (the parents of these kids jesus, 180,000 dollar cars where all over the place, 360 modenas? yea 4 on campus all driven by drivers between the ages of 18-23.)

well actually toshi I am running a 6. and 1/4 miles of 13.8 so its pretty darn close and the price is wayy different. bought the 4runner pre supercharged and exhaust from a buddy of mine. added headers, water injection, a few fuel mods and an spuper afc II, along with a completely custom intake. these times were recorded with the spare tire underneath, a thule 6 board ski rack, load bars, towers, fairing, and 2 bike racks along with a massive stereo (2 mtx 15 w/ 1500 watts running to each bia jbl bp1200.1's and an alpine fv450 for the mids and highs not to mention all the dynamat and fatmat in the truck) and last but not least a big ass grill guard and fog lights. each 50 lbs im pretty sure drops your time .10 so that would add up to maby half a second faster.

and yes i do pop my collar so f'n what. im preppy, whats it to you? i still ride my bike harder than most so back the f off narlus

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Ok I cant handle the automotive ignorance anymore....

Dexter your 4runner is pretty sweet but it will never outhandle the porsche (or even my pos golf), and the Boxter has a very reasonable amount of power for what the car is intended for. ANY car can be made to go fast in a straight line, so the old "I could beat that if I just had.... whatever (500shot of NOS, another engine, ect...)" argument is BS. It pisses me off every time some deuche with a turbo whatever says their car is paster than a ferrari or porsche and they think they are so special becasue of it. Ferraris and Porsches have the CORRECT amount of power to balance with their chassis and provide the quality of experience you expect from a car like that. The Boxter outperforms its competitors in every test I've ever seen, it's competion being the Z3 and Z4, SLK, and TT. People think it's a girls car becasue they are stupid ass americans and for some reason we only like cars that suck. Basically every roadster gets dubbed a girls car because they dont have V8s or live axles or 500hp. Some of the greatest sports cars of all time were small roadsters, both american and european(Ferrari 250 GTO, Shelby Cobra...). The boxter's lines are a little soft, but it is a pure sports car and most men would never be able to drive it anywhere near its potential. For my money I would rather have an STI or Evo but I can see why not everyone wants a noisy turbo 4 door with a huge wing. I would love to have a roadster, but I could only justify it as a second or third car.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
TheInedibleHulk said:

Dexter your 4runner is pretty sweet but it will never outhandle the porshe (or even my pos golf), and the Boxter has a very reasonable about of power for what the car is intended for. ANY car can be made to go fast in a straight line, so the old "I could beat that if I just had.... whatever (500shot of NOS, another engine, ect...)" argument is BS. The Boxter outperforms its competitors in every test I've ever seen, it's competion being the Z3 and Z4, SLK, TT. People think it's a girls car becasue they are stupid ass americans and for some reason we only like cars that suck. Basically every roadster gets dubbed a girls car because they dont have V8s or live axles or 500hp. Some of the greatest sports cars of all time were small roadsters, both american and european.

:stupid:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Eliiise...aren't the US models kinda watered down for emissions though? Dammit, I want a fast one. Such a hot car...

And my accord isn't quite a chick car...I'm a member of the Accord mafia, we'll take you down, bitch!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
TheInedibleHulk said:

Dexter your 4runner is pretty sweet but it will never outhandle the porshe (or even my pos golf), and the Boxter has a very reasonable about of power for what the car is intended for. ANY car can be made to go fast in a straight line, so the old "I could beat that if I just had.... whatever (500shot of NOS, another engine, ect...)" argument is BS. The Boxter outperforms its competitors in every test I've ever seen, it's competion being the Z3 and Z4, SLK, TT. People think it's a girls car becasue they are stupid ass americans and for some reason we only like cars that suck. Basically every roadster gets dubbed a girls car because they dont have V8s or live axles or 500hp. Some of the greatest sports cars of all time were small roadsters, both american and european.
Non chick car

older NON chick car

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dexter said:
the slk is a good car but also very girlish. the sl series is a nice rig but the only ones worth getting in my opinion are the sl55 amg, sl500, or the sl600 with the renntech kit on it drooolllll. got to drive one of these in black down in florida over spring break (the parents of these kids jesus, 180,000 dollar cars where all over the place, 360 modenas? yea 4 on campus all driven by drivers between the ages of 18-23.)

well actually toshi I am running a 6. and 1/4 miles of 13.8 so its pretty darn close and the price is wayy different. bought the 4runner pre supercharged and exhaust from a buddy of mine. added headers, water injection, a few fuel mods and an spuper afc II, along with a completely custom intake. these times were recorded with the spare tire underneath, a thule 6 board ski rack, load bars, towers, fairing, and 2 bike racks along with a massive stereo (2 mtx 15 w/ 1500 watts running to each bia jbl bp1200.1's and an alpine fv450 for the mids and highs not to mention all the dynamat and fatmat in the truck) and last but not least a big ass grill guard and fog lights. each 50 lbs im pretty sure drops your time .10 so that would add up to maby half a second faster.

and yes i do pop my collar so f'n what. im preppy, whats it to you? i still ride my bike harder than most so back the f off narlus
I want my click back. Compensation for lost time reading.

Do you have a time slip? It looks like this:

Was it at a track or were you counting out loud at what you thought was a 1/4 mile distance?