Quantcast

Staccato 8

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

i've been running the wah wahs for several months now & really like the thin cross section and mild concavity. 480 g, $70. anyone else here using these? i prefer them to any other flats i've tried.

hey, watch it. we can't e-speculate about a product that already is in the market. start your own thread.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
mandown, i know you were bringing on teh funny, but srsly part of this thread's value is trying to figure out how these DW pedals compare to the current benchmarks.

i have not been impressed w/ the atom labs. the tiogas worked pretty well for me but were too thick. for me the new konas (so far at least -- don't have many miles on them) set the standard for being thin, stiff, reasonably light, with a large platform for my size 12 feet. and not costing $200.

the gear whore in me wants to find a reason to buy the staccato 8's but other than potentially being better sealed from moisture, i'm not clear on what the e-speculation advantages would be over the kona.

edit to add: the spin resistance adjustment feature sounds cool. just read that.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
FYI Toodles, there has NEVER been an e.thirteen stem broken that I have seen. I called the e.thirteen office just now, and personally asked Jonas and Michael to verify that. It has not happened, or at least nobody has sent us any evidence that it has. Feel free to send anything you have directly to e.thirteen. As you know we love to support our customers.
Hi - was gonna reply via PM but can't.

Dave, I'm a big fan of your products and I own plenty of e.13 stuff and will continue to do so.

That aside, I will do my best to back myself up on this and will try to get either of the two stems pieces for you. I'm surprised that there haven't been other breakages. As you'd know, Australia isn't the biggest market out there, so there could only be a small percentage of units that arrived here.

[/end derail]

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hi - was gonna reply via PM but can't.

Dave, I'm a big fan of your products and I own plenty of e.13 stuff and will continue to do so.

That aside, I will do my best to back myself up on this and will try to get either of the two stems pieces for you. I'm surprised that there haven't been other breakages. As you'd know, Australia isn't the biggest market out there, so there could only be a small percentage of units that arrived here.

[/end derail]
Thanks toodles, I appreciate it. You can get in touch via the support @e13 components address, Derek can take take care of it. The more we know, the better we can design products.

Dave

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
You just need an engineer with a clue on how to design with them to make them work. I happen to be that guy.
you got that right!! I have yet to see ONE BAD product from e.thirteen!!!
keep up the amazing work!

rayhaan

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Nice shiny red knob on the end. Can you give more detail on the 'spin control' thing? Some sort of dog clutch that disengages?////?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Nice shiny red knob on the end. Can you give more detail on the 'spin control' thing? Some sort of dog clutch that disengages?////?
the red knob is just a cover. you pop it off to get at the spin control bolt, then it's rightie rightie; leftie loosey.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Again, a sick product from a company that's been stand up all along. I run whatever I can from E.13 as it's always been top notch and easy to set up. Getting help is great too, where else can you get the tech support people + the head man in charge on a message board?

The pedals look sick, and I expect nothing less of them. I know it's been a while waiting for them but they are going to be worth it. Being able to rebuild them with parts that they will make available is always nice. I'm not worried about the plastic pieces at all. Our trails are nothing but rocks, and you bash things pretty often and the superchargers have held up great in that aspect. I clip my pedals a ton too so knowing how strong the plastics are is a good piece of mind.

Great job guys, I think I read on another site late 2008 is their estimated date of release, so it might be a good Christmas present :)

akern2

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
DW,

Thanks for chiming in. It's great to have an actually designer and builder talking to the riders directly.

On a side note, I'm wondering about how well these pedals will stick up to wet weather riding. I know that in the winter and spring season around mid-Atlantic area (MD, PA, WV, and VA), it's fricken wet, all the time. Our local DH/FR spot can be moist every weekend (if not rained out). How well will the plastic grip the shoe, say if you're running 5-10's?

Also, is the a possibility that riders or stores will receive a pair of protos, or second gen. protos? I think an actually rider impute (not pro-level) would be helpful. (I know it sounds like i'm trying to snag a pair early, but i've seen it done with other products, and it really helps).

Thanks for everything,
John

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Actually - if its made of the same stuff as the bashguard/taco... it will hold up just fine in microwave conditions. I just tried it :lighten:

I've stuck just about anything you can think of in a microwave, and blown about 15 of them up haha (some with explosives, well most of them actually). its fun "science" thats sort of a taboo amongst older folk for some reason. Microwaves are just another form of radiation, can be stopped alot easier than most forms.

Last edited:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
i have not been impressed w/ the atom labs. the tiogas worked pretty well for me but were too thick. for me the new konas (so far at least -- don't have many miles on them) set the standard for being thin, stiff, reasonably light, with a large platform for my size 12 feet.
I am wondering what your issue is with the Atom Lab pedals and which model they are and which year they are from. If you like the Tioga and the Kona pedals then we have similar taste on how a pedal feels, but the current generation of Atom Lab Air Corps is at the top of the list for pedals that I have spent some actual time on.

I cannot wait to get some time in on the Staccato pedals to give them some serious testing because they look very promising. The shape and overall aesthetics of the pedal look great and with all of the other features they have some pretty serious potential. Over time I have grown used to pedals being disposable, hopefully these could change that. But in the meantime its time to go ride!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
"We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about pedals. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pedals, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about pedals. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about pedals man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about pedals. We're talking about pedals man. We're talking about pedals. We're talking about pedals. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about pedals. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about pedals right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about pedals man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about pedals ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by pedalling?"

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I am wondering what your issue is with the Atom Lab pedals and which model they are and which year they are from. If you like the Tioga and the Kona pedals then we have similar taste on how a pedal feels, but the current generation of Atom Lab Air Corps is at the top of the list for pedals that I have spent some actual time on.

I cannot wait to get some time in on the Staccato pedals to give them some serious testing because they look very promising. The shape and overall aesthetics of the pedal look great and with all of the other features they have some pretty serious potential. Over time I have grown used to pedals being disposable, hopefully these could change that. But in the meantime its time to go ride!
the air corps have a nice profile and shape for my feet but summer of 2007 i heard too many reports of the c-clip coming off and the pedal shooting off the axle...not exactly confidence-inspiring. the pair i tried had some play.

it's one of those things where if you hear just one or two negative reports you take it w/ a grain of salt, but if you hear about it happening more than that, and from people whose opinion you trust, then you figure 'meh.'

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
"We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about pedals. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pedals, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about pedals. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about pedals man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about pedals. We're talking about pedals man. We're talking about pedals. We're talking about pedals. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about pedals. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about pedals right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about pedals man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about pedals ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by pedalling?"

LOL, that was awesome.

Where the hell were you while we were all at the US Open riding?!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
ahahahaha, yeah that thing has seen better days.. :)

Great to see you there Lee, how is Dave doing?

great to see you too. always a pleasure:cheers:

Dave got released from the hospital later that night with a concussion and 20stitches and 15 staples in his leg. it started to get infected a few days ago so he had to go back to the hospital to sort that out. other than that and a sore shoulder he's been told he should be able to resume riding in 2 weeks. After seeing the video i can't believe his head injury wasn't worse; the helmet barely has a scratch on it. definitely a close call.