Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Looks like an old eroded forestry track - clay base. They often develop ruts like that. Nasty if you meet one at high speed.

(ps, no duncan riffles were harmed in the making of that video).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
look about 3 posts up
whoops. I guess I thought because it wasn't on the first page, that it hadn't been posted. But I have a good excuse: my brain wasn't working 100% because my 6 month old boy has a cold, didn't sleep that night at all and my wife and I managed to catch the cold too... aaaah parenthood.

anyways, I'm just hoping my current trail bike lasts until they start producing this one for the market. I'm ready for it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Oh yeah thats right! Are you gonna be running an Angleset in your frame?
Nah, not to start with. Should be slack enough with 9" travel. The one I've seen built was slacker and lower than Zerode say.
Head angle at sag should be roughly the same as a 64 8" travel rig.
I'll measure mine with a zero stack headset.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Just made a shock guard out of some clear hose I had kicking about. Larger diameter hose would be even better, but this should work fine, and if made right, you should be able to reach your dials if you want.
I doubt you'd even need to tape or zip tie it on with the right size hose.
Sorry for dodgy pics.
First pic is whith shock unbolted at top and leaned forward so you can see, never comes this far forward on bike.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Nice pics.

So they're available in NZ !!!

What's your feeling on it, compared with your previous bike ?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I love it. It's extremely quiet. Easy to setup , and rides like a dream.
The shifting is precise and it gobbles up everything.
Im really gaining alot of confidence on this bike.
I've had it for over a month now.
Just didn't want to post it with crappy forks but new ones are a while off still.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
How many frames have been made in the 1st batch(es)? I wonder if another batch will be made on Zerode's demand when the current stock will get sold out, or will they wait for some minimum orders number?

The simplicity of that frame is outstanding! Although I love the carbon version much more, I wouldn't refuse Alu as well :-) .

Last edited:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
My understanding is 100 were ordered, to be delivered in batches (probably 20 off). Not sure if it's correct but sounds about right.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
the company is from NZ ya know
Seriously !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yes for sure I know that, but those are the first pics I saw from customers ...

Thanks to StyledAirtime for his feelings ... & what about an eventual gain on your times ?

ralf007

Chimp
Oct 30, 2007
new zealand

Thanks to StyledAirtime for his feelings ... & what about an eventual gain on your times ?
A lot of there first order has been sold already

You can demo them in Canada, Europe, and New Zealand

Will post mine up when I'm back in nz soon

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
A lot of there first order has been sold already
You can demo them in Canada, Europe, and New Zealand
I was in fact strongly interested by this frame, but for 2012 ... and already exchanged quite a few emails with Rob last winter.

A friend of mine was supposed to eventually get one for him, but changed his mind.
Then I was recently informed Zerode Europe's based in Morzine (France)

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand

I'm not a racer but the bike feels much quicker . Being so silent I find myself pushing harder in sections where my old bike sounded like it would fall apart.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
whoa. super weenie build; curious what the weight is.
From the Gizmag article:

"Metz said that the gearbox does add some weight, but that he's convinced the gains in performance offset it. Although precise figures on complete bike and/or frame weight aren't available, he did tell us that through the selection of lightweight components, some riders have gotten their G-1s down to about 16.5 kg (36.5 lbs). He added that a less hefty trail bike is presently in the prototype stage."

Nice.

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland