Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's quite the shock guard! It's interesting to me that A) it has a factory 65* head angle...and B) that you're running a 63.5* angle with full stanchion extension. That's a lot of slack! Any reason for that?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Loving mine so far, settled with a setup including -1.5degree angleset and 2010 evo ti raised to maximum axle to crown. Also found that a 400# spring suits me fine, even though the suggestion for my weight (85kg, 190lbs) was 450#.

Had no problems with the shock, but a friend of mine put together a quite unique shock guard, so some peace of mind there as well:

Moar pics:
http://hollola.1g.fi/kuvat/2011/06 Zerode iskarisuoja by Harold Custom/
http://moneyshot.fi/gallery/zerode/
Sweetest one I've seen so far. Whats the final head tube angle? What size are your riding? Whats the wheelbase on it? looks amazing! cheers!

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
that's quite the shock guard! It's interesting to me that A) it has a factory 65* head angle...and B) that you're running a 63.5* angle with full stanchion extension. That's a lot of slack! Any reason for that?
Coming from a rather slack tr450, tried the Zerode with -1 cup first but the -1.5 just feels more familiar and comfy. Also, the evo ti 888 has VERY little room of adjustment between the minimum and maximum stanchion, so it's not that high, not at all like running a boxxer with the drop crown for example.

monni

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Finland
Sweetest one I've seen so far. Whats the final head tube angle? What size are your riding? Whats the wheelbase on it? looks amazing! cheers!
Don't know the exact angle, should be 63.5, although the head tube is quite tall, so maybe actually 64? Running the large, wheelbase was at 46" I think, have to measure again.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The two I've seen were slacker than 65* with stock headsets. I think the 888s make it feel steep as they dive. Head tube is long hence stantion extension.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

The 64.5 feels fine. I have over an inch I can drop the forks still so have room to play. It is 41LBS as built with DH TUBES

I have the carbon bash guard for it also work good have 2 saves from it so far.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
How does it compare to the Jedi you were testing?
I like the idea of the gearbox but it is just way to small.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How does it compare to the Jedi you were testing?
I like the idea of the gearbox but it is just way to small.
It eats rocks just as well or better! The frame is SUPER STIFF there is no flex at all. It does lengthen in turns but did not bug me. I am going out again later in week on a mellower trail. I had it in Santa Barbara so they are long and rock filled. The bike is easy to whip around somewhere between TR450 and Jedi. Overall it thus far has been good. We have a super steep trail filled with tight off-camber turns and are planning on getting up there in the next few weeks. Lancaster is gonna ride it later this week. I will keep updating feedback on it!

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I do like a bike with a rear wheel axle path like my old BMW racelink. I am on an M9 but missing the rear axle path.
Do you know how much it grows? That is what interests me in the Jedi but I like the gearbox idea and USA made.
Now only is the made a bigger one. Need a 17.5ish reach.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I do like a bike with a rear wheel axle path like my old BMW racelink. I am on an M9 but missing the rear axle path.
Do you know how much it grows? That is what interests me in the Jedi but I like the gearbox idea and USA made.
Now only is the made a bigger one. Need a 17.5ish reach.
I can pull the spring and see or I will email Rob and ask him then let you know.

Out of curiosity, could you mount the shock the other way around to mostly avoid the vulnerable piggy back?
The carbon guard covers the shock well.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay quick updates. Went on a trail I ride on a normal basis. The trail is not very steep but is filled with rocks from golf ball to basketball sizes. It is 99% rock the bike smoothed the trail out better than any other bike we have tested. The trail felt smooth. There seemed to be no effect on the bike when using the brakes and it is very nimble and easy to move around.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
What order do you lot put all the spacers on the rear hub? Also which direction for the sprocket?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
What order do you lot put all the spacers on the rear hub? Also which direction for the sprocket?
Spacers depend on your bike(your parts), they're there to space the sprocket so the chain runs straight. I can't see it would matter what way the sprocket goes. Rotate it when you put a new chain on if they last long enough.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This will be a stupid question but would having the shock driven at such a crazy angle at the beginning of stroke reduce service intervals, surely driving the shock more directly would be beneficial, or not?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
We used "blue line" string to eyeball how straight the chain-line was and it seemed to work well! Don't think it matters about the rear ring. We have the numbers facing out. We have one middle spacer behind sprocket 2 thick ones and a thin one on drive-side. It all depends on parts really. Here is a studio image of complete bike!!!

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
This will be a stupid question but would having the shock driven at such a crazy angle at the beginning of stroke reduce service intervals, surely driving the shock more directly would be beneficial, or not?
I always thought that of the earlier demos. I don't think the shock itself will need more servicing. The bushes may wear quicker, but that's not such a big deal. You could always install needle rollers instead of bushes:thumb:.
I think having the shock shaft exposed to dirt would make more of an issue to shock service intervals.
The angle(rising rate)balances out the falling rate at the other end of the link/chainstay.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I always thought that of the earlier demos. I don't think the shock itself will need more servicing. The bushes may wear quicker, but that's not such a big deal. You could always install needle rollers instead of bushes:thumb:.
I think having the shock shaft exposed to dirt would make more of an issue to shock service intervals.
The angle(rising rate)balances out the falling rate at the other end of the link/chainstay.
My Corsair had the shock driven at a crazy angle like the Zerode but I only really just got the shock broken in so I couldn't do a long term test. I did get crazy spring rub on the shock but the angle it's driven at shouldn't have caused that.

How many have been sold in Australia now?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Does anyone have the exact frame weight without shock?
I did not weigh our but was told they are 12 even with shock and no ALFINE. I am not sure what the shock weighs to be honest. I think the shock body is 1LB and the springs are about 1.5. The next batch will get some weight shaved.:)

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Finally Got new legs for my Zerode.
2011 888 RC3 Evos V2 Custom tuned for me.
Gravity Lite Bars and Cranks
Easton Flat boy Pedals
AtomLab Pimplite Rims and Hubs in Green
ODI YDOPEN Edition Grips
SDG Belair ibeam seat and seat post.
Maxxis High Roller 3cs

and the mighty juicy Carbon Brakes.

Ti bolts and carbon guard and custom Graphics and Black Powder coat.
was 45 lb before forks went on so who knows ,but its a DH bike that gets used for shuttles and having a good time ,no racing for me.

Massive thanks to Wide Open Distributors Wide Open: Distributor of quality cyle parts in New Zealand for letting me be there team video guy and sorting out some sweet sweet parts!

z1.jpgz2.JPG

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been emailing Zerode over the last few days and they told me the frame will weigh at least 1 lb less next go around.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Finally Got new legs for my Zerode.
2011 888 RC3 Evos V2 Custom tuned for me.
Gravity Lite Bars and Cranks
Easton Flat boy Pedals
AtomLab Pimplite Rims and Hubs in Green
ODI YDOPEN Edition Grips
SDG Belair ibeam seat and seat post.
Maxxis High Roller 3cs

and the mighty juicy Carbon Brakes.

Ti bolts and carbon guard and custom Graphics and Black Powder coat.
was 45 lb before forks went on so who knows ,but its a DH bike that gets used for shuttles and having a good time ,no racing for me.

Massive thanks to Wide Open Distributors Wide Open: Distributor of quality cyle parts in New Zealand for letting me be there team video guy and sorting out some sweet sweet parts!

View attachment 108776View attachment 108777
45lbs before the fork? So around ~53lbs with the fork.

Paint looks good.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
45lbs before the fork? So around ~53lbs with the fork.

Paint looks good.
The bike we have is 41 it's a MD/LG and has a 450 LB Steel Spring. Every part is DH on it. That seems like a lot. We have Sun ADD Lite wheels and they are a good 1-2 pounds heavier than a custom built Hope/Mavic set.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
The bike we have is 41 it's a MD/LG and has a 450 LB Steel Spring. Every part is DH on it. That seems like a lot. We have Sun ADD Lite wheels and they are a good 1-2 pounds heavier than a custom built Hope/Mavic set.
45lbs may have been a typo....
Mid to low 40's is a reasonable weight IMO. My Revolt was 41-42lbs and my V10c was 38lbs which was kind of nice when I had to lift it in and out of the truck.

It doesn't sound like anyone has had problems with the Zerode which is a very good thing for a small frame manufacturer. ;)

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
No no no. Should have said 45lbs with my old ****ty boxxers on it.
They were old style boxxer teams.

They are a hefty wee bike. But all the weight is under your legs. Directly under so they feel super stable.
They are winning heaps of races in NZ and AUS.
They can weigh 38-36 pounds. Robs brother has a sick one built light that can survive and perform.

And theres another where the guy built it using spread sheets ands stripped the paint and runs xtr brakes and heaps of carbon and stuff. How is the arm Ralph?