Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hotel we're this week has 5 or 6 (free) chargers. Today they're all occupied by Teslas. Just watched a Hyundai something or other drive by and look a little disappointed.

I'm willing to bet those Teslas will still be parked there later this evening or in the morning.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hotel we're this week has 5 or 6 (free) chargers. Today they're all occupied by Teslas. Just watched a Hyundai something or other drive by and look a little disappointed.

I'm willing to bet those Teslas will still be parked there later this evening or in the morning.

Public places need to quit installing a few level 2 chargers and install a shitload of 110v plugs instead. Hotels, theme parks, airports, why the shit would you need to rapid charge at any of them?

Instead of half the EVs being charged in 2 hours while the other half sit in the lot, they could all be getting some juice while the owners are in Tampa at a hearing aid convention or whatever else ones does.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Drove my niece and her friend to college in Hartford CT. What a shithole. I stopped on the way back home in Albany Pine Bush Reserve. I had my bike, so I said what the hell. Aria Kebab was pretty good. I took a nap in the discovery center parking lot. It's a good stopping point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Public places need to quit installing a few level 2 chargers and install a shitload of 110v plugs instead. Hotels, theme parks, airports, why the shit would you need to rapid charge at any of them?

Instead of half the EVs being charged in 2 hours while the other half sit in the lot, they could all be getting some juice while the owners are in Tampa at a hearing aid convention or whatever else ones does.
L2 EVSE aren't rapid, per se, and 110V outlets have a few issues:

- not everyone has L1 EVSE, or carries it around
- some cars don't lock it to the charge port, and thus it becomes a theft target if unlocked at the 110V outlet side and the car side alike
- 1 kW is not only not rapid but also nigh useless.

in an ideal world every spot would have a L2 with J1772 and NACS connectors. businesses definitely would want to police that people didn't park there all day just because they're cheap and want to suck up a few kWh, though, and not that they're frequenting said business.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
- some cars don't lock it to the charge port, and thus it becomes a theft target if unlocked at the 110V outlet side and the car side alike
Come on people, just electrify it and make it like an electrical fence. Problem solved.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
in an ideal world every spot would have a L2 with J1772 and NACS connectors. businesses definitely would want to police that people didn't park there all day just because they're cheap and want to suck up a few kWh, though, and not that they're frequenting said business.

Isn’t that true of an L2 charger as well? If anything it disincentives people to squat on a parking space just to mooch power while not patronizing the business if the charging is slower.

Paid charging makes a lot more sense, that way people are only parking in a charger space if they actually want to charge their car. However that’s not what I’ve seen at places like Legoland last weekend. The first 30 EVs get the chargers, everyone else gets to stop on the way home. Even if you don’t need a charge, why not take a bit of free juice and a parking spot right up front? The thing is though, you’re going to be at the park for at least 8-10 hours, so unless you’re driving far enough to arrive on fumes, you’ve got time to trickle charge, if you’re arriving on fumes, a 110v will still get you to the nearest rapid charger on the drive home, so no different than if you drove a gas vehicle there and had to fuel up before hitting the road. If you’re staying at the hotel and doing two days in the park you’ve got even more time.

Paid L2 chargers at places like grocery stores, malls, or restaurants make sense, use store loyalty programs to reduce the cost of the charge the way my Safeway card gets me a discount on gas, it attracts shoppers and prevents squatters. However free L2 charging at places you spend all day, or multiple days at? I don’t get it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
L1 gives about 3 miles of driving range per hour charging. it's useless unless absolutely nothing is available.

and I agree that the incentives should be changed: paid chargers and/or having spots at the far end of the parking lot, not the near. don't make it the easy and convenient option to mooch on the charger.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I’m ok with the way my city handles this. The public chargers from the municipal power company are usually 11 or 22 kW. You get 4 hours of free parking during the day and unlimited time from 7 pm until 7 am. I made plenty of use of this when I still had a hybrid, but haven’t used this once since going full EV as I can charge at work and just don’t use my car to get around within the city.
Most locations like pools or theme parks around here have similar chargers and policies, but I usually don’t bother as my stays are longer than 3 - 4 hours and I only want to look for parking once.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

charge 10 bucks per hour.....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I crack up at the market. There are 4 fast chargers and there are always people camped out sitting in their car for at least 30 minutes texting or reading a book and other folks waiting their turn. Most go into the market at some point while charging but for the most part that only takes 10 minutes. they all have that kill me now dead eyes look while sitting there.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I drive my 23 year old Mercedes C280 sport about once a week for a short errand. Today I actually had an errand some 20 miles away. I forgot how fast that is when compared to the Transit 150 vans I drive all day long and how well it corners. I was a bad boy out there for a short while :neo:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I've always wanted more dumb people stuck in the middle of nowhere with no rescue
We are very different people I suppose. I would hover over them real low, while they were stuck in the wilderness, and ask them if they needed help. Then reply to them I will get help and fly away. If they said thank you. I would get them help after I got back to the airport. If I had a blackhawk.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
We are very different people I suppose. I would hover over them real low, while they were stuck in the wilderness, and ask them if they needed help. Then reply to them I will get help and fly away. If they said thank you. I would get them help after I got back to the airport. If I had a blackhawk.
What an utterly selfless act of compassion that would be. Tears in my eyes. Whereas Kidwoo would make them ride bitch on the back of his moto after offering water and jerky, probably causing mild gastrointestinal discomfort as they made their way to safety.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just left a trailhead that has been dirtbike staging for decades. About 5 years ago the forest service decided that was a good spot to build a bunch of close proximity machine built imba bullshit. That trailhead/parking lot is absolutely swarmed with douche staches, fanny packs, and welding masks. As I'm loading my bike up two very mom energy women (kids named ayden, caiden, or jaiydyn, or sierra) with 6k+ mountainbikes and very expensive electric cars were discussing their mantras and breathing.

I'm going to start deciding people are lost. Even if technically they're not.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just left a trailhead that has been dirtbike staging for decades. About 5 years ago the forest service decided that was a good spot to build a bunch of close proximity machine built imba bullshit. That trailhead/parking lot is absolutely swarmed with douche staches, fanny packs, and welding masks. As I'm loading my bike up two very mom energy women (kids named ayden, caiden, or jaiydyn, or sierra) with 6k+ mountainbikes and very expensive electric cars were discussing their mantras and breathing.

I'm going to start deciding people are lost. Even if technically they're not.
Let's not lose hope here so easily. Jerky buckshot seems to be the best of both worlds. Let's just say I threw some hotdogs down to said lost in the wilderness fools. And they spoiled before they were found and then consumed. Would I be held liable for their indiscretions?

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The likelihood of attaining a Blackhawk and acquiring the skill to fly one. Is supercilious by any measure. Including any of the ones, I may subscribe to justify any statement I may make.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The likelihood of attaining a Blackhawk and acquiring the skill to fly one. Is supercilious by any measure. Including any of the ones, I may subscribe to justify any statement I may make.
blackhawk yes

but I fly somewhat regularly for work and have access to a few whirly birds that still can provide sufficient downward air velocity to hardmeat.