Quantcast

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Borderline conspiracy theory, but some interesting points he raises.

I am not sure why this was suggested to me by the algorithm. :tinfoil:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers

Automobile-legislation as of late has been taken with a grain of salt. Quote from the video, 'peer through the nose', sort of applies to the video itself. 'Petrol Engine' defines a 3litre McLaren V8 as much as the 4.2litre Jaguar I6 - what's mainstream engine. Says nothing for or against total-integration. Common sense came through regrading EV infrastructure though. Am most certain that the definition of Gasoline Engine will be re-written should miscellaneous-ramblings having the Wankal Rotary design become an alternator go into effect. That video a few posts earlier just blows away problem issues inherent to the Wankal.

Contemporary Legislation now is written with lobbyists in mind, something to keep in mind. Strict blunt language is also a tool toward attaining long term goal if not just a barrier to any lobbyist-contention by itself.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

No, it is not ‘borderline’, he is a full blown, evidence free nutcase. He is suggesting the UK government — the UK government ffs — will ban private vehicle ownership because he doesn’t like sensible regulations to reduce ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Highly doubtful this can pass pedestrian safety certification as is.
I think it is classified as motorcycle, so might have lesser regulations?
Another issue is how well it protects its passengers.

If that can go on the Autobahn and drives 110 km/h it would also be a fun vehicle for quick trips to visit family and such.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This looks interesting for a commuter.

"Aptera protects you and your loved ones with a safety cell seven times stronger than steel"

What?
Have the lizards moved to the E-Vehicle sector?

Also, how do you get out if you roll it? Not many Americans would be fitting out those windows(nor would I).

I like the idea, not sure I would want to drive one in the Land of the Brodozer though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Haven’t been to the usa for a while, nor consumed so much television. It’s striking how many truck ads there are. On the road, it’s striking how many lifted trucks you see (brodozers?). Saw one today with a hood protector (?) that said “redneck”. The truck was also red.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would like an Aptera. Would park it outside and drive purely on the charge from the Sun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haven’t been to the usa for a while, nor consumed so much television. It’s striking how many truck ads there are. On the road, it’s striking how many lifted trucks you see (brodozers?). Saw one today with a hood protector (?) that said “redneck”. The truck was also red.
Honestly the number of pickups on the road is astounding. I know this is 'MERICA and people get to drive what they want, but the logic behind buying a vehicle whose hood is taller than my roof and will likely never see dirt nor tow anything is astounding. Yeah, you've got chrome, four doors, a full size bed, and can tow a battleship, but you use it to get groceries. Fuck.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you look at this very recent video this whole operation seems very very early stage and I think the guy says a lot of bull shit in some of the examples he talks about. Alone the whole explanation of the 4 vs 3 wheels.

Yep, seen it. Could be a money grab. Still an interesting concept, especially as I always had a soft spot for this bad boy:

Messerschmitt-Kabinenroller-KR-E-5000-fotoshowBig-fa2ae3a6-1784088.jpg

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yep, seen it. Could be a money grab. Still an interesting concept, especially as I always had a soft spot for this bad boy:

View attachment 169857
The thing is with a city car not sure efficiency is that important if you can charge at home or even charge here and there as you use the car. Also the slower you drive the less impact wind resistance has. I think practicality and a little bit of fun perhaps is more important. Easy to get in and out of. Room for 4. Room for stuff. Easy to park etc.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The thing is with a city car not sure efficiency is that important if you can charge at home or even charge here and there as you use the car. Also the slower you drive the less impact wind resistance has. I think practicality and a little bit of fun perhaps is more important. Easy to get in and out of. Room for 4. Room for stuff. Easy to park etc.
The issue that many do not want to see IMO is, that we should not just electrify current cars. Strip them down to what we really need and rethink the whole concept. Make them use less energy, because the less we use the less we have to produce.
If you see how many commute solo in a car here on Fyn, that is then parked all day in the parking lot, these super efficient tiny cars make a lot of sense. I see this more as a weather-proof version of a scooter or motorcycle then a full car replacement. For my usuage case this would be perfect in combination with a bigger, toy hauler with crazy long range (e.g. super efficient Diesel van).

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Honestly the number of pickups on the road is astounding. I know this is 'MERICA and people get to drive what they want, but the logic behind buying a vehicle whose hood is taller than my roof and will likely never see dirt nor tow anything is astounding. Yeah, you've got chrome, four doors, a full size bed, and can tow a battleship, but you use it to get groceries. Fuck.
Also the first to scream when the fuel price moves $.05, since the dozer, couch, tv, fridge, boat, lawn mower, and pool are all financed. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

I really do not understand the willingness and want, to drive pickups. They ride like shit and handle even worse.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also the first to scream when the fuel price moves $.05, since the dozer, couch, tv, fridge, boat, lawn mower, and pool are all financed. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

I really do not understand the willingness and want, to drive pickups. They ride like shit and handle even worse.
I really, really wanted the new Santa Cruz...then I realized- what do I want a pickup bed for? I'd rather have my bikes safe and secure in a rack in a hitch, groceries contained in a hatch with a lock, and if I throw shit in the back, I want it protected from the rain...which led me back to the Tucson and then I realized I'm just in a CUV again.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
fun brodozer encounter last week

our neighborhood roads were one car width for about 10 days with 6ft plow banks on each side. My special lady friend and I were walking to the post office and a lifted deisel thing with wide balloon tires was coming up the road. Albert Einstein who was obviously driving tries to bank up on the plow piles, his front wheels dig in and the ass end goes swapping around right at our faces because of course it's two wheel drive. I slap the side of the truck and start screaming into the passenger window to chill the fuck out. He still keeps thinking he's going to go uphill, on 4 days of packed snow, in 2wd with his front wheels stuck. I've never just punched a truck before repeatedly but I figured it's the only thing he'd respond to. He stopped spinning the wheels long enough for us to run around behind him.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Lotta hate in here for pickup trucks from the crew that starches their chinos over high-performance sports cars. They are both impractical in their own way.
Oh don’t get me wrong trucks have a place. I own two. Just not in any hurry to go back to driving one as a daily. . . Ever.
I’m a pretty boring overly practical person. So as much as I would fapp to a faster car, they serve no point in my current life now.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lotta hate in here for pickup trucks from the crew that starches their chinos over high-performance sports cars. They are both impractical in their own way.
Well, besides @jimmydean most of us just enjoy talking about them.

Reminds me of a time in the supermarket we saw two girls shopping together. One hot and one fat and ugly. We saw the dilemma my friend instantly said: This is what two seat sports cars are for.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The issue that many do not want to see IMO is, that we should not just electrify current cars. Strip them down to what we really need and rethink the whole concept. Make them use less energy, because the less we use the less we have to produce.
If you see how many commute solo in a car here on Fyn, that is then parked all day in the parking lot, these super efficient tiny cars make a lot of sense. I see this more as a weather-proof version of a scooter or motorcycle then a full car replacement. For my usuage case this would be perfect in combination with a bigger, toy hauler with crazy long range (e.g. super efficient Diesel van).

1000km range!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Even the front was cramped. The presenter is huge but that front was clearly too small too.
Probably constrained by the aerodynamics then, they've been doing this for years on A7s, gran coupes, sportbacks...but there it was more about looking cool, here it seems to be constraining more than just that rear headroom. Still, the manufacturing processes have got to evolve. There is a great vid on how Porsche makes the Taycan, except the realities of current mass production, piecing together cars from all sorts of vendors, traditional stamped parts, etc., it's got to change to keep vehicles from getting outrageously heavy with reasonable crash-worthiness, interior space, etc. That's already happening on cars without them being EVs, the weight just keeps ballooning up and up. There's got to be some way to come up with bulk CFRP structural parts that also allows for recycling and re-use.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Probably constrained by the aerodynamics then, they've been doing this for years on A7s, gran coupes, sportbacks...but there it was more about looking cool, here it seems to be constraining more than just that rear headroom. Still, the manufacturing processes have got to evolve. There is a great vid on how Porsche makes the Taycan, except the realities of current mass production, piecing together cars from all sorts of vendors, traditional stamped parts, etc., it's got to change to keep vehicles from getting outrageously heavy with reasonable crash-worthiness, interior space, etc. That's already happening on cars without them being EVs, the weight just keeps ballooning up and up. There's got to be some way to come up with bulk CFRP structural parts that also allows for recycling and re-use.
Well on 90% of my driving I would only need half battery power. With be cool to leave the other half at home and have a couple of solar panels charge it. That would save a lot of weight.

The car industry just hasn’t been forced to innovate in these directions before now but there is a huge sustainability push happening that they can’t get around. We see it already across many countries (I work for a cleaning machine manufacturer)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
1 out of 200 times I get in my car would I need 1000km of range. How often are you folks doing 10hrs in one go?