Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks seriously good, as does the regular ID2. It's up there with the best Golf generations in my eyes (1, 2 and 7 for me). Far too late to market unfortunately and they should have gone with that design language from the get go for their EVs instead of the werid bulbous mess of the current models.
My issue is the lack or EV coupes, especially sport coupes. At my age, I don't want or need an SUV or crossover, or even a sedan. I want something to take me and possibly my wife (or dog) on a quick back roads jaunt, or to use as a fun daily commuter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Looks seriously good, as does the regular ID2. It's up there with the best Golf generations in my eyes (1, 2 and 7 for me). Far too late to market unfortunately and they should have gone with that design language from the get go for their EVs instead of the werid bulbous mess of the current models.
A 4500lb GTI.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
A 4500lb GTI.
I only talked about looks, of course the GTI moniker makes zero sense and the dynamics will be rather „different“.

My issue is the lack or EV coupes, especially sport coupes. At my age, I don't want or need an SUV or crossover, or even a sedan. I want something to take me and possibly my wife (or dog) on a quick back roads jaunt, or to use as a fun daily commuter.
Yeah it’s been nothing but SUVs and I suspect coupes will be even lower on the priority list than the wagons that should finally start appearing soon. The e-tron GT is pretty nice, but even that is a bit of a tank and like the i4, just a sleeker sedan.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If they make a sporty 2 door, I would seriously consider it.

I have had 2 and 4 door GTIs and quite frankly the 4 doors look better and are a lot easier to live with. The shape of a hatchback just isn't as complimentary to a 2 door design like a coupe is.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Every few months I’ll scroll through https://carnewschina.com/ to see what the Chinese are cooking up. I suspect more than half of those companies won’t exist a few years down the line, but the sheer number of mostly generic looking EVs they are churning out is still remarkable.

And @Toshi, it looks like they are also cornering the market on electric MPVs. Some even look rather distinctive :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And @Toshi, it looks like they are also cornering the market on electric MPVs. Some even look rather distinctive :D
highly relevant is that Volvo (Geely) is announcing an EM90.

markets it'll be available in is the big question. and then price, size, etc.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have had 2 and 4 door GTIs and quite frankly the 4 doors look better and are a lot easier to live with. The shape of a hatchback just isn't as complimentary to a 2 door design like a coupe is.
I could see that. I just have no need for rear doors, especially if I have a hatch.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
evidrntly 2024 will be the last year a gti can be had with a manual transmission....

i have not missed driving a manual one bit...

if i still lived somewhere winter was a problem....maybe...

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Speaking of EV's, Seems to be a growing trend of EV owners on 4x4 trails/passes with zero trail etiquette, attitudes and confrontations when they either get stuck, or run out of juice and nobody is willing to help them off the mountain.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
evidrntly 2024 will be the last year a gti can be had with a manual transmission....

i have not missed driving a manual one bit...

if i still lived somewhere winter was a problem....maybe...
If it's something fun to drive, a manual just makes it funnier to me. But I didn't love being in Seattle rush hour in my 280z a week or so after getting my left knee scoped. I learned how to use my cane for the clutch. There were so many things wrong with me interviewing at Microsoft, that was just the capper.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If it's something fun to drive, a manual just makes it funnier to me. But I didn't love being in Seattle rush hour in my 280z a week or so after getting my left knee scoped. I learned how to use my cane for the clutch. There were so many things wrong with me interviewing at Microsoft, that was just the capper.
the last fun manual car i drove was my older brothers somewhat unicorn lexus sc 300 with manual 5spd...

so much fun for a inline 6....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My issue is the lack of family vehicles that aren't friggin S/CUVs. or luxury wagons. A simple (affordable) station wagon (hell even a friggin small mini-van) sure would be nice. I don't need three rows or massive head room, I just need a hatch-back and a good sized trunk to fit a cooler and camping gear (or ski gear, or bike gear, etc etc etc).

I might be going to hell for this, but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that was this:
1693922774468.png

I hate that BMW, but I'm glad it's not a blob shaped SUV. The model 3 should be what I want, but ugh
that bimmer sort of reminds me of the Polestar 2... Could that satisfy your Model 3 need, without being a Tesla?
1693923009260.png

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I’m genuinely baffled by some of the Rivian repair stories I’ve seen. Is it even possible for a car to be that hard to repair? Seems impossible unless they’re so hideously designed that that little dent somehow requires one to disassemble half the truck, but I guess it’s possible?
The parts pricing dept working its wonders.
When I did it for a living, we´d see who the major purchaser of each part was and price them accordingly. Parts paid mostly by insurance got much higher margins than filters. this caused the $5k headlights a few years ago.
I´d imagine rivian just took it to the next level.