Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
True story:
I was named after a Golf world champion. and come from a long line of accomplished Golfists. and let's not forget we invented the fucking game.

pretty sure I can get you in @kidwoo

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
2018 Schedule
1. Lo Barnechea, Chile – 24/5 March
2. Manizales, Colombia – 31March/1 April
3. Olargues – Montagnes du Caroux, France – 12/13 May
4. Petzen-Jamnica, Slovenia/Austria – 30 June/1 July
5. La Thuile, Italy – 21/2 July
6. Whistler, Canada – 12 August
7. Ainsa-Sobrabre, Spain – 22/3 September
8. Finale Ligure, Italy – 29/30 September

Chile and Colombia could be interesting. Chris Ball must have the best job in the world if he gets to travel to all these places and scope out the trails first.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Damnnnnn that second half of the video is ROWDY
Just spent a week in Whistler. That's Ride Don't Slide off of Top of the World. Spits you into Creekside. By far the best trail on the mountain in my opinion. Definitely the best dirt. Everything in the main park area is blown to shit right now. It's so dry and dusty, it's unreal. The braking bumps are nightmarish.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Just spent a week in Whistler. That's Ride Don't Slide off of Top of the World. Spits you into Creekside. By far the best trail on the mountain in my opinion. Definitely the best dirt.
If it's anything like Khyber Pass or Microclimate after the EWS, it won't be the best dirt for long...
Everything in the main park area is blown to shit right now. It's so dry and dusty, it's unreal. The braking bumps are nightmarish.
We had that up there a couple of years ago. A month of no rain at all, and a massive wildfire risk meant they weren't allowed to take the powertools into the woods - so the trail crew had to maintain all of the trails by hand. Rough as fuck, but still great fun once you were used to the brutality. Reminded me of riding Le Pleney in Morzine :D

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
If it's anything like Khyber Pass or Microclimate after the EWS, it won't be the best dirt for long...
We had that up there a couple of years ago. A month of no rain at all, and a massive wildfire risk meant they weren't allowed to take the powertools into the woods - so the trail crew had to maintain all of the trails by hand. Rough as fuck, but still great fun once you were used to the brutality. Reminded me of riding Le Pleney in Morzine :D
Yeah, there are a ton of wildfires north and west of there. When we got there Saturday, it was really bad. The smell was terrible. Cleared out a little every day, but was still pretty bad when we left yesterday.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Ride Don't Slide is a 'legacy' trail that the bike park has adopted due to it being on their tenure, used to be way rowdier before the bike park crew made it more sustainable but it's still my favourite trail on the mountain and top 3 of all time. Racing TOTW straight into it is an excellent decision, such a monster of a stage and for bonus excellence it's likely to rain, for the first time in a month plus on race day.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
not sure if you're trying to agree with my view on headcams or disagree with it?

This place always had a sense of humour.. but Enduro is serious business. right?
I kind of agree with your view on head cams. But is there a better place to put them? I've tried chesty, but any body movement generally ruins/blurs the footage.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It must be awesome for Jesse to be able to say that he legitimately kicked Sam Hills ass. I'm happy for them both. The last race should be interesting.

I'm rooting for Hill...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
It must be awesome for Jesse to be able to say that he legitimately kicked Sam Hills ass. I'm happy for them both. The last race should be interesting.

I'm rooting for Hill...
Totally cool result.
To think that Hill was second by 15 seconds after 44 minutes to a guy that calls these stages basically his backyard is completely amazing.
Hill is the man. Of course I'm rooting for the flat pedal assassin.:thumb:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Always rooting for Hill. I feel he's going to take the title, which is pretty awesome. And yea, not to take anything away from Jesse but these are his local stomping grounds and the location that he should do best at so the result is expected with his form lately.

And here's to a podium result in Carins.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Always rooting for Hill. I feel he's going to take the title, which is pretty awesome. And yea, not to take anything away from Jesse but these are his local stomping grounds and the location that he should do best at so the result is expected with his form lately.

And here's to a podium result in Carins.
But will Sam ride his enduro bike for worlds?:panic:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Last race weekend of the season.
Hill leads with 2990 points.
Adrian Dailly is second with 2880 points.
Callaghan comes in third with 2570 points.

If Dailly wins, Hill needs to be at least fourth or better if I did the math correctly. If he comes in fifth, they will have the same points. So everything is pretty tight.
Does someone know what happens if they have equal points at the end?
Hill will run a bike with some gold mixed in the paint job. That worked out really well last time he had a real shot for the title.

I hope he does win this. Let's see what the weekend will bring.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looks like Rude is DHing at Mt Creek instead of trenduroing? On his trail bike, but still...I wonder why he'd skip the final stop?
Yeah Barelli is doing Hardline as well. Commencal probably gets better coverage from that anyway.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A win is worth 500 points, even if everybody else DNFed and Rude won the race twice, he still wouldn't take the rainbow bukkakee jersey from Hill
By that logic, none of the women should show up except Cecile...

Sucks if that's the case, Richie is sick to watch.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I suspect it has something to do with the numbers circled in red

A win is worth 500 points, even if everybody else DNFed and Rude won the race twice, he still wouldn't take the rainbow bukkakee jersey from Hill
That is not the spirit of enduro...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

Generally it's not a good practice to simply not show up simply because you can't win, but that does seem to be Yetis MO this year. How many EWS rounds did Cody Kelly miss because he was busy being a ringer at a local US race?

Me thinks the spirit of enduro may be getting overruled by the accountants of enduro. Or I could be missing something obvious, to be honest, I'm not following this season closely enough to even know for sure Rude isn't racing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For the entire series?
Seems fair enough

riding DH and riding in general I'd agree. Racing Enduro?
er... No.
The ONE clip of him everyone creamed themselves over was him sprinting past some other Enduro guy up a fireroad.
Track racing is more exciting than Enduro to watch.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Generally it's not a good practice to simply not show up simply because you can't win, but that does seem to be Yetis MO this year. How many EWS rounds did Cody Kelly miss because he was busy being a ringer at a local US race?
Take a proper look at the overall results
Count how many riders actually compete each season at EVERY round.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The ONE clip of him everyone creamed themselves over was him sprinting past some other Enduro guy up a fireroad.
Track racing is more exciting than Enduro to watch.
Show us on the doll where the Enduro rider touched you? Right in the KOMs?

I swear half you whingers have never even seen an EWS round.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Show us on the doll where the Enduro rider touched you? Right in the KOMs?

I swear half you whingers have never even seen an EWS round.
haha

I live half an hour from an EWS venue. I'll probably ride a few parts of their "stages" today.
The top Brit #E racers all ride/train round here. Even the Irish ones.

Riding enduro stages I'm fine with. it's all just bike riding. Racing Enduro I'm also fine with. especially if you're actually racing rather than just dressing up in the latest approved uniform do and having an expensive group ride a la Sportive).
Watching it? no. not really interested. sorry. I'd rather be riding myself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haha

I live half an hour from an EWS venue. I'll probably ride a few parts of their "stages" today.
The top Brit #E racers all ride/train round here. Even the Irish ones.

Riding enduro stages I'm fine with. it's all just bike riding. Racing Enduro I'm also fine with. especially if you're actually racing rather than just dressing up in the latest approved uniform do and having an expensive group ride a la Sportive).
Watching it? no. not really interested. sorry. I'd rather be riding myself.
Tell us again how modern times have changed and don't fit your world views anymore.