Quantcast

The "I Have Zero Faith In Humanity" Thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because in the most heavily armed state, criminals are afraid of dying...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My wife wants to settle in the C Springs area...I showed her that article yesterday and I think that she is having second thoughts about it. Durango is more our style methinks...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My wife wants to settle in the C Springs area...I showed her that article yesterday and I think that she is having second thoughts about it. Durango is more our style methinks...
It's not bad on the west side. For you, the military support system would still be relatively close without having to live in the tea-tard area (anywhere east of Academy blvd or in Klingenshmitt's district). Though, if I had my druthers, Durango is where I'd go too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For one, that's East of Academy Blvd.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Co Springs, I have a good friend that lives there (in Security, right outside of Ft. Carson).

It's not really like other Colorado/Mtn towns. It has no "mountain vibe" like Duragno. It's not as bad as living in suburbs of Denver, which is basically like living in Sacramento in terms of mountain access, but it's just not what you'd think it would be. There aren't a plethora of trails and mountain bike areas nearby. Unless you are living up against the forest land or close to it, you are pretty limited IMO. Black Forest is pretty far out there in that sense. What kind of seems to set it apart is that 99% of all the residents don't ever go into the mountains, and that sets the vibe for the area, which feels awkward. In other mountain towns people usually live there to do "mountain stuff", and this isn't really the case in Co Springs. To be fair, it's kind of just like the terrain, partially mountainous, but partially as flat as Kansas. I could probably survive in Co. Springs and make the best of it, but I'd be traveling some pretty big distances to have fun, into the interior. In that case, I'd rather have a more Ft. Collins or Durango vibe as my starting point.

Best way to explain, the foot of Pike's Peak is where Kansas stops.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
What do you know about that area?
That it burns like a sonofabitch.

Else wise, Jm pretty much hits it on the head. Pretty far out from anything depending on what part of it you live in. It's a pretty good area if you just want to hole up in the woods and never interact with your neighbors. If you want to get out and bike/ski/hike whatever, you're going to be in the car for at least 30 minutes. Though it's fair to say that the Black Forest "area" is pretty large, so you don't necessarily have to be way out in the boones. I took the pictures above about two miles north of my house, and I definitely live in urban sprawlville. Politically, BF is a little strange in that it's a weird mix of hippies who bought 30-40 years ago when land was cheap, and super scary ultra-conservative prepper types, and the hippies are dying off. If you guys have the kind of scratch to buy in BF, I would highly recommend the west side of town, Manitou Springs, Cascade/Green Mountain Falls, or Woodland Park/Divide.

My family has some pretty long historical ties to CO. I can remember my old man saying years ago that they should have just given anything east of the front range to Kansas. He wasn't wrong.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Thanks for the input boys...will have the Frau read. I have been pushing the Manitou/Woodland area...even Ft Collins. She is attracted by the fact that there are lots of Federal jobs and support...I dont give a fuck about that.

Any other inputs are greatly appreciated...

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
She is attracted by the fact that there are lots of Federal jobs and support....
Any other inputs are greatly appreciated...
Frau JohnE is correct. I do not know of a single involuntarily unemployed vet here. There is also a brand spanking new VA clinic on the west side. You'd also be hard pressed to live anywhere in the metro area and be more than 20 minutes from a base exchange of some kind. Say what you will about the politics and religious crazies, but all the military retirees I know here seem to think life is pretty good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Manitou Springs is nice, it's like a little sliver of Colorado in Colorado Springs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/4/americans-have-yet-to-grasp-the-horrific-magnitude-of-the-war-on-terror.html

The report estimates that at least 1.3 million people have been killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan from direct and indirect consequences of the U.S. “war on terrorism.” One million people perished in Iraq alone, a shocking 5 percent of the country’s population. The staggering civilian toll and the hostility it has engendered erodes the myth that the sprawling “war on terrorism” made the U.S. safer and upheld human rights, all at an acceptable cost.

As the authors point out, the report offers a conservative estimate. The death toll could exceed 2 million. Those killed in Yemen, Somalia and elsewhere from U.S. drone strikes were not included in the tally. Besides, the body count does not account for the wounded, the grieving and the dispossessed. There are 3 million internally displacedIraqi refugees and nearly 2.5 million Afghan refugees living in Pakistan.
The “war on terrorism” costs the U.S. not only blood but also treasure. The Costs of War project at Brown Universityestimated in June 2014 that the U.S. wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan would cost taxpayers “close to $4.4 trillion, not including future interest costs on borrowing for the wars,” through the end of 2014. Last year 18 percent of the federal budget, or $615 billion, went to defense spending. About 27 percent of 2014 tax payments went directly to the military, and an additional 18 percent went toward paying for past military actions. Interest costs will be at least $7.9 trillion by 2054 (PDF), unless Washington changes the way it pays its war debt.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sweet! All the more reason to send him off to the 3rd Reich in the sky (or maybe its been relocated to the moon?)

Now that I think about it, I guess the whole 88 thing is related to 88mm artillery piece the Germans used in WW2.