Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

oprut

Chimp
Oct 14, 2011
Hi, this is my first post, just wondering about spring rated, I weight 148lbs 5,5ft. previously used spring rate 300lbsx27,5" on Fox DHX4.0 bighit3 it was quite soft, then 450lbsx27,5" on Fox DHX5.0 trek session 88, quite soft as well, now using 300lbsx30" on Vivid5.1 Sunday ... but it feels more rough and hard :(, vivid5.1 set from full counter-clockwise : compresion 0, begin stroke rebound 0, ending stroke rebound 3. whether the frame geometry also has an affect for tuning? any suggest will apreciated.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
the 300 spring will be good for your weight
the DW link works best with the rebound all open on the vivid
try it

lolWes

Chimp
Aug 24, 2011
So I need a second opinion on an idea I have. Since I'm going to be servicing my vivid on my sunday soon, I was looking into shock oils. I know that rs uses 2.5 weight oil, but I was wondering if using some 0 weight oil ( Redline like water) or using it to dilute the rs oil down would help get lighter dampening from the shock. I'm willing to try it out, just wanna make sure the idea is sound.

RUFNUT

Chimp
Jul 19, 2009
Ozz
Hi all just got myself a 09 Team a few weeks ago and wanting to try a slacker head angel thinking of trying a workscomponets 1deg set or should I go to the 1.5deg? What are most people running?

Also running a RC4 for the first time and Im a little lost with the set up. Have the spring and bottom out set up to what has been given thought out this tread just looking for that eveyone runs there low and high speeds at. Im 70kg geared up and live in south east australia. Came off a 224 with DHX5.
Cheers Calvin

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I found the -1.5* angleset to be a bit too slack. I would have gone back to the -1* if the angleset wasn't such a PITA. YMMV, as I'm an amateur and not a pro. The bike felt a bit more natural in corners, but it wallowed and wandered too much everywhere else. It wasn't problematic, per se, but I felt it could have been better with more aggressive angles.

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
Running K9 -2° and really happy with it. If you are running tracks with tight corners it`s not the ideal solution but anything else is just feeling great

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hi all just got myself a 09 Team a few weeks ago and wanting to try a slacker head angel thinking of trying a workscomponets 1deg set or should I go to the 1.5deg? What are most people running?

Also running a RC4 for the first time and Im a little lost with the set up. Have the spring and bottom out set up to what has been given thought out this tread just looking for that eveyone runs there low and high speeds at. Im 70kg geared up and live in south east australia. Came off a 224 with DHX5.
Cheers Calvin
For Australia I think you're wasting your time with anything slacker than 1*. I have both the 1 and 1.5 and am using the former at the moment. What I found is with the 1* cup you can keep your BB slightly higher and use fork height to adjust head angle (easier on a 40, personally I'd use the drop crown on the boxxer for more height range, but this is not to everyone's taste).

I actually found this faster here because our tracks tend to have a lot of holes, and if the BB is too low (eg. 13.5") I found I was significantly slower in these sections. Confirmed it this weekend doing back-to-back runs on two Sundays (one 13.5, one 13.75).

That said, I have all the head angle adjustment I need in my fork - currently it measures at about 62.5. Basically you can achieve the head angle you want in many ways, I found the fastest way was to try keep the BB slightly higher.

On the RC4 I have bottom out fully closed, HS fully closed, and LS about 6 clicks in. I like a lot of compression damping though, and the closed HS gives stronger mid speed support without making the bike feel too dead (hence lower LS). This setup won't be for everyone. Rebound depends on spring rate.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For the record I'm about 75kg, probably close to 80kg with gear.

If you're 70kg with gear - and presumably using a 300 spring (which I am too), I'd suggest 140psi, 8 clicks HSC and 3 clicks LSC as a starting point. Bottom out should be fully closed on the sunday. If you need more compression support after that, you can increase pressure and/or compression damping to suit. If bottoming out, increase pressure first.

RUFNUT

Chimp
Jul 19, 2009
Ozz
Thanks Udi.
Yes I am running a 300lb spring with 130psi with 10 clicks out of hsc and 7 of lsc bottom out fully closed. Will try those settings you offer this weekend.

When I first got the frame I ran my DHX5 which was tuned for the orange. The RC4 was a massive inprovement

I am running boxxers and I find running a high front end doesnt suit me being a shorty. But will give the drop crown and extended forks a go to see how the angel works for me. May not give a great indication with the height but worth trying before I spend the coin on a works head set.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Quick question as I have a chance at a very mint 2007 Sunday WC... Are the rear axles specific? I do not think the one offered is including the rear axle? I will verify - but will a 12X150 Maxle work?

Thanks

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington

Cheers Calvin
I run both the -1.0 and -1.5 cups on my Sunday. The -1.0 on top and the -1.5 on the bottom. My bike is slack as hell but honestly it feels REALLY good, everywhere. I don't notice it wanting to wash anywhere. Maybe I'm a freak. My only complaint is that trying to pick up and hop the bike over random trail debri/switching lines on a whim has become a hair harder to do the wheelbase. I'm in the process of building a 2nd Sunday and will stick to running just a -1.0 on it just to keep it a little more nimble and poppy.

RUFNUT

Chimp
Jul 19, 2009
Ozz
Quick question as I have a chance at a very mint 2007 Sunday WC... Are the rear axles specific? I do not think the one offered is including the rear axle? I will verify - but will a 12X150 Maxle work?

Thanks
Its specific to the frame. Some where in these threads is a link to a uk shop that has all the sunday parts you could need.

haydenw

Chimp
Nov 11, 2011
Hey Guys, looking to pick up an 09 Sunday Team and would like to whip a Ti spring onto it... where is the best place/cheapest place online to source one? Also, not 100% on what sizing I will need? (Stock shock)

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
So you are still riding the DHX3? Instead of buying a expensive Ti spring to save weigth you should invest it into a better shock (my opinion).

orange matt

Chimp
Nov 16, 2011
Hi guys, going back to a sunday but need a little bit of help, the current frame i have at the moment has a double barrel in it, same size (stroke/eye2eye) but need to know if i will have to mod the link at all or buy new one to get the ccdb in there. It is an 09 Elite.

Cheers Guys!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, you'll find the sphericals won't work at all. The 07+ Sunday frames use 10mm shock pins which won't fit through the spherical bearing hardware.

Current CCDB's will take 12.7mm reducer hardware (same as most shocks) so the Vivid hardware should fit it just fine.

However, the DU bushings used in the CCDB have a nonstandard OD (even though the ID is the standard 12.7mm) - and after you press out the spherical bearings, you'll need to purchase and install some DU bushings from Cane Creek before you can use your Vivid hardware. I'm sure Cane Creek will be happy to sell them, if not feel free to PM me as I have some spares here.

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
That lower link still will not work with all shocks. I have an '07 with that factory link, and am modding it to fit the RC4 at the moment per the info a couple pages back.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
OK frustrations setting in lower shock axle is bent and stuck in link/du bushing, been slamming it and can't get it to free up.
So if i order the licycleworx lower link I can order the lower axle kit as well and be done with bent axles yes/no? I assume I need both to work.

Anyhow anyone withnspare links and axle kits let me know, thanks.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looking for a 05/06 shock axle for the Sunday till my other parts get in, anyone have em let me know. Or if anyone has a crapped out frame let me know.

Frames totally torn down ordered new bearings its off to powder coater tomorrow i9s are laced to black dt hoops now and ordering a new shock/ti spring or possibly air shock.

Shout out!
SO ANYONE WITH OLDER AXLE FOR SHOCK LET ME KNOW OR NEWER LOWER LINKS WITH HARDWARE!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Making the most of boring flat tracks in aus... click for bigger

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Refreshed another Sunday after selling my last one, this time a bit bolder. Figured I'd go avalanche colors red/gold on a polished frame.

Ill get better pics tomorrow this was just the initial brakes are off to side as is drop stem and crampon pedals will be here next week.

Sunday large (old links so i can run avalanche chubbie) Avalanche chubbie 450 ti spring 2011 boxxer wc with avalanche cartridge Industry nine wheels Muddy Mary front big Betty rear Sdg post and saddle Angleset RF atalas bars Ld grips X0 shifter X9 der Kmc xsl ti nitride chain E-13 chainguide and ring Middleburn cranks Cramp on pedals Canfield drop stem Formula the one brakes Dura ace cassette

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
hello, newbie here,

question: have any one of you modified the 06 red anno dw link, to fit the fox rc4?

thanks.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Search. Every possible question about a Sunday has been adressed in this thread and sometimes multiple times...which is why it is 50000 pages long. Good luck.