Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

whiteman

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
I need your help again guys.

The shop I bought the linkage from is willing to replace it. I'm just not to sure if the ones they say are the F7's actually are.
It seems like the shock pin hole is too small and isn't counter bored. Same with the little hole next to it.

Can any of you guys confirm if they are/aren't the F7 ones?

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I need your help again guys.

The shop I bought the linkage from is willing to replace it. I'm just not to sure if the ones they say are the F7's actually are.
It seems like the shock pin hole is too small and isn't counter bored. Same with the little hole next to it.

Can any of you guys confirm if they are/aren't the F7 ones?
They are not. F7 links aren't flat, they taper in to be closer to the shock.
Hope that makes sense.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks for the help, you saved me getting the wrong part again. Hopefully it's third time lucky...
Where are you buying these from? Sounds like they haven't a clue. Pic below.

There's no mistaking the F7 links, as said above they taper in, and use/require 10mm shock hardware - so if you don't have the hardware already, make sure the links come with them (30x10mm reducers for shock, 10mm OD shock pin). Otherwise you'll have to buy the hardware separately, which pearce cycles in UK sell.

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
Does anyone have any stack/reach measurements for a size Small? I'm 5'9" and currently ride a Medium, but have always felt the frame to be a bit long. Just trying to figure if it's worth picking up a Small to try.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Does anyone have any stack/reach measurements for a size Small? I'm 5'9" and currently ride a Medium, but have always felt the frame to be a bit long. Just trying to figure if it's worth picking up a Small to try.
I can measure mine when I get home, but I remember when I got my small front triangle to replace the medium the top tube was about 3/4 of an inch shorter. The small is on the left in both pictures.

I also still have the medium front triangle with no hardware or linkage if anyone needs it.

bobby309er

Chimp
Sep 7, 2011
uk
Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here. I am on a small sunday at the mo and want to swap for a medium if anyone in the uk is interested. It's an 09 elite, looking for 08/09.
Hey sundaydoug you're not uk based are you?

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this here. I am on a small sunday at the mo and want to swap for a medium if anyone in the uk is interested. It's an 09 elite, looking for 08/09.
Hey sundaydoug you're not uk based are you?
Nope, not UK-based, but if you can't find a complete bike to swap and want my '08 Medium front triangle just pay for shipping and it's yours.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Out of interest - how much are you after for the M front triangle? Only issue is i'm UK based.

bobby309er

Chimp
Sep 7, 2011
uk
PM on route! You could be a life saver! :)
Well hot damn, jumped in my grave there eh. Well snooze you lose right. I guess -C- is gonna pull ridemonkey rank and have this front triangle so anyone else interested in trading please PM me. Not bitter mind:rant::D

Infini IV

Chimp
Jan 1, 2011
So I've just been shopping around a bit and researching. I'm looking to replace my Sunday with another bike to use for racing/thrashing. Seeing as I want to keep the Sunday for as long as I can, I figured it best to race and thrash on another bike, and one which I can much easier get replacement parts for.

I've ridden a 2011 Demo, as well as a 2011 Cove Shocker DH. To be honest, not too fond of the Cove as I'm too comfortable on the Sunday and it doesn't feel like it has any similar traits. With the Demo, I only felt comfortable through turns when I consciously weighted the front more... unless I squared off the turn. I still felt like the Sunday was more confidence-inspiring in the turns though.

With that said, based on what others have said of the Banshee Legend MKII, I may have found my replacement bike. Does anyone have any info/notes comparing the Sunday to the Legend?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think you're fairly close to the mark with what you experienced. The demo has a longer front-center and shorter rear than the sunday, so weight distribution is further rearward - making it harder to weigh the front, and a little less predictable / more snappy and square when drifting.

The legend is probably the closest thing to the sunday that isn't one, even sharing a similar shock curve (progressive to linear). The only thing I'd check on is sizing - the medium is slightly smaller than a medium sunday, and a large is fairly big. The new turner DHR is another option, and has a more modern shock curve (progressive to linear to progressive).

To be honest though - if this is all just to keep/prolong the life if your sunday, I'd just buy another one (and/or keep riding yours), they seem to sell pretty cheap these days - surely cheaper than a legend II. I haven't managed to break one over 4-5 years of use, and about six months of chairlift riding in the alps.

JA666

Chimp
Dec 29, 2010
AUS
Dear Sunday gurus,

After a few months of chasing parts I finally got around to putting my frame together. Frame is a 2006 model, however everything is new (bar the lower rear main pivot axle).

I have encountered a small problem however when installing said lower rear pivot assembly. I am running a revised 08 lower link with Max-E bearings, however when assembled it seems there is still a small gap between the link/frame.

This is the lower link, which has approx 1mm gap on each side:

Any ideas as to why this is happening/what i can do to remedy it?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Is there actually a gap between the link and the inner race of the bearing? Thus play?

If so, the only solution (short of spacers) is to get the bearings to sit in deeper. Often there is paint on the inside of the swingarm's bearing seat reducing bearing insertion depth, so scraping it all out might encourage the inner race of the bearing to sit closer to the link.

That's my only suggestion for now, if you can't do that then you might need to find some ~1mm shims of appropriate ID/OD to fill the gaps.

JA666

Chimp
Dec 29, 2010
AUS
Awesome, thankyou for that!:thumb:. It seems I was a bit cautious putting the bearings in as they still had a small way to go. Bolted everything together and it solved the problem, thanks mate. Here it is now, I'll be ordering some new wheels this week hopefully so it will be together soon.

Sam Hill wannabe :D:

Also, this is first Sunday I have owned, but a mate told me to loctite the pivot bolts (as with any bike I guess), and keep a close eye on them as they have a tendency to come loose.. Any truth to these claims?

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Good to hear you got it sorted.

Nothing comes loose abnormally easily with the F7 links (that you have there), but it's good practice to blue loctite (222/242) all threads.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Quick question, as i'm going to run my Sunday with an RC4 (after modifying the lower link) regarding spring weights.

I'm ~180lbs kitted up, and seem to be on the line between a 300 or a 350. So, any suggestions/experiences of people around my weight running an RC4?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm probably just shy of your weight with gear on (80kg) and run a 300 on the 2012 RC4. I think a 350 would be too hard, a 325 would probably be ideal.. and if I had to choose I think I'd try the 300 first. The RC4 has a lot of tuning range to firm things up if need be.

Depends on usage/preference too, steeper tracks warrant a softer rear spring while flatter courses like a firmer rear to keep weight on the front wheel in corners.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
My 06 Elite got a metallic silver powder coat,
some new bearings and bolts from http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/
some extra bits from http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/home
Oven cleanered the saint cranks, raw finish, might polish them but I'm maybe too lazy for that!
A custom fantastic, very thick sticker kit from http://www.slikgraphics.com/ I reckon its going to last a very long time!
Rear suspension set up by http://www.octuning.ie/
Wheels out of the back of a Roscommon reg Irish van over in Portes Du Soleil.
And some prototype head angle reducer cups and unreal tender loving care from Kev at Steamer Industries (Guy who Dirt did a piece on about offset bushes and the biggest hick I've ever met) http://steamer-industries.blogspot.com/

iPhone pics aren't great, lots of little details that won't show through, but its beautifully trick, nice shiny bits and pieces throughout. With the head angle cups this bike is amazing, so planted and settled. I also bought a drop crop for the Boxxers, from a few trips down Champery on it recently I reckoned the option of extra height would be nice. The tyres are brand new too, I've never ridden them before, tomorrow will give me a good damp Irish indication of how they work!!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice! Now work your way through this thread to find out where you can get spare parts.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Hi guys,

I measured my 2008 sunday :
  • 525mm (20.4") actual ST-HT center to center
  • 1155mm wheelbase (45.2") at 63 degrees HA (works component cup)

Is it small or medium frame?

PS. It's a mystery for me, as from the wheelbase it definitely not medium (listed 45.25" at standard 65, should be more at 63 HA) but mine also 10mm (0.4") longer actual toptube than my friend's 2009 small sunday :confused:

Thanks.. :)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Well I got it to fit, but I'm a bit confused. I used the mount hardware from a DHX5 that was on there before, so a direct like for like fit. When the bike had the DHX5 on it there was zero play in the linkage.

The DU bushes on the RC4 were fine on the last bike it was on with no play, and the mount kit was a solid fit with no play, yet it seems the lower front mount pin (the one that sits between the 2 big hex bolts that screw directly into the lower link appears to now have play between itself and the mount hardware on the shock. Very strange that it first has lower front mount play, and even more so considering what bit it is. Anyone else experienced this on a later bike? (08 Factory). I might just get a replacement pin and see what it does.

Excuse the bright colour. I went a bit mad after butchering the lower link to fit the shock, and decided to have a go at the frame too, so it needed a new powdercoat...

Last edited: