jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Long ass day at the wheel. Started at 4 am with a couple of runs around Livermore then had a break for a few hours. Then headed off to do a pickup in Walnut Creek whose drop off was in Chico. I got home around 5pm having driven over 400 miles sleep soon....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Set the clutch to a light setting. Get at it, reverse when the clutch goes, repeat.

At this point I am more likely to break a tap by hand.
It's not the torque that's the issue really, it's keeping it straight the whole time without putting too much side load by accident and snapping the tap. Much easier to do with the weight of a drill.

Since most of what I work on is aluminum and delrin, I wind up power tapping most of the time for #8/M5 and up. The rest is by hand. Can't remember the last time I broke a tap either way, to be honest.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I recently found out I can take my dull Craftsmen taps to Ace Hardware for warranty replacement. They had free Donuts also. Nice folks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's not the torque that's the issue really, it's keeping it straight the whole time without putting too much side load by accident and snapping the tap. Much easier to do with the weight of a drill.

Since most of what I work on is aluminum and delrin, I wind up power tapping most of the time for #8/M5 and up. The rest is by hand. Can't remember the last time I broke a tap either way, to be honest.

I had to drill and tap a few hundred blind M4 holes in some cast iron machine bases. A coworker and I had a contest to see who could do it the fastest without breaking a tap. I won. Like with all holes, the secret was good lubrication and proper body positioning to make sure you go in straight.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Chamfered lead in also helps. And don't start with a bottoming tap, like I've seen some people do.

Not sure the best innuendos for those 2 statements.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I’d use a drill (press, preferably) for like m4, m5 and bigger, but really little ones seems to come out better by hand.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All checked in and tucked in in Fraser. Land Cruiser filled up with expensive gas (3.249 for 85 octane up here after a 5 cent discount!). I did laundry today, though, and forgot my ski pants and long john bottoms in my clean laundry bin. Whoops.

For the duration and type of skiing I’ll be doing with the kids tomorrow I’ll tough it out in my regular (non-cotton) pants. Perhaps my butt will fall off from frostbite. That‘d be something

Last edited: