Quantcast

* Third stay *

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
gorillas can't help me... wait.... maybe they could bend it
I'm no wizard, but I'd give both sides a little tap-taparoo with a hammer and give yourself clearance. Either that, or better yet get some kind of spreader and spread that section while bolted together to get your space. On a seatmast like that you're probably going to be fine unless you are really slamming down on it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I still don't see why spreading the seatmast stays with some spacers, and a longer bolt if needed, wouldn't be the least destructive first option...

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I still don't see why spreading the seatmast stays with some spacers, and a longer bolt if needed, wouldn't be the least destructive first option...
Concur. I'd pull the shock, bolt things together with the stock hardware/spacers, then stuff one of these into the problem area and gradually inflate.

Screenshot_20210311-155905_Amazon Shopping.jpg

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Special bolts
But they're not that special. Have you determined Grainger or McMaster can't supply one?

Even without a new bolt, two thin washers to create the 1/16" needed won't be an issue for thread engagement...

I'd slide the washers in and check it, static...if it works, then all you need is procurement or fabrication of the bolt.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Radflo, Fox, King....pffft. Whatever. FOA is where the burrs, dings and mismatched parts are to be found.
To their credit, FOA were way ahead of the curve when it came to giving away free shocks to "influencers" in exchange for favorable reviews on the intertoobz. If they were doing it now they'd be making dozens of dollars.

I have yet to work on any premium bypass, coilover or even remote set up that wasnt deburred, polished or finished to my liking. My radflo's were about the best finished set but still needed some die grinder action till I was happy. Ive made some pretty cool block cylinder hones to clean up new barrels. works great.

Kings have varied greatly in my experience, the race series is always better than the "prerunners" but still a bit hit and miss. Admittedly I haven't worked on a new King shock in a few years, so they may have gotten their shit together. Fox are semi consistently good, Icon and Radflo are mediocre though Icon is a better shock once it's un-fucked. SAW were hilariously bad, haven't touched one of their shocks since the AEM buyout, who knows what fuckery is going on these days. We once tried to work with SAW on a door damper for armored vehicles and their lead engineer didn't know there was a difference between the rebound and compression side of the pistons, which explained a lot about their products, the door damper project never came to fruition, though in their defense King couldn't figure it out either.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But they're not that special. Have you determined Grainger or McMaster can't supply one?

Even without a new bolt, two thin washers to create the 1/16" needed won't be an issue for thread engagement...
1/16" per side. 0.125" total.

i know a guy with a tube crimper.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Whatever size tapped hole it is for the bolt (looks like M6), put a length of threaded rod so it's passing all the way through to the outside of both sides of the mast, with an M6 nut and as big of a washer as you can fit against the inside on both sides. Use a pair of open-end wrenches to back the nuts out, thus spreading the seat mast.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That of course assumes you move to a longer pivot bolt to accommodate, which I don't think is an issue like others have said. If you get me dimensions I can source you an exact bolt you need.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I think a delicate radius-via-router bit on the insides of the stays where you need the clearance would be less likely to make things bindy, and have next to zero effect on their strength.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Better approach is the largest threaded rod diameter you can pass through like a clearance fit on both sides to ensure no weird binding on the tapped hole side. But you're getting pretty small and torque might be an issue and having the seat mast bow out instead of the threaded rod just buckling

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Speaking of sourcing bolts etc... Red Ti bolts, in common MTB sizes? Any ideas? So far only found a place in Germany who seem perpetually out of stock, or have one or two.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think a delicate radius-via-router bit on the insides of the stays where you need the clearance would be less likely to make thinks bindy, and have next to zero affect on their strength.
I agree with this, but not sure how well that could turn out by hand with basic tools, which I'm assuming is what he has access to.

if he'd be willing to send it to me, I can mangle it for him real good in the bridgeport.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
To their credit, FOA were way ahead of the curve when it came to giving away free shocks to "influencers" in exchange for favorable reviews on the intertoobz. If they were doing it now they'd be making dozens of dollars.

Kings have varied greatly in my experience, the race series is always better than the "prerunners" but still a bit hit and miss. Admittedly I haven't worked on a new King shock in a few years, so they may have gotten their shit together. Fox are semi consistently good, Icon and Radflo are mediocre though Icon is a better shock once it's un-fucked. SAW were hilariously bad, haven't touched one of their shocks since the AEM buyout, who knows what fuckery is going on these days. We once tried to work with SAW on a door damper for armored vehicles and their lead engineer didn't know there was a difference between the rebound and compression side of the pistons, which explained a lot about their products, the door damper project never came to fruition, though in their defense King couldn't figure it out either.
King have been by the most consistent even in my last two personal sets. The worst I had seen was actually fabtecs remote. they were horrid and prob had the same tech as a marzocci drop off. These days all I am running is kings and radflos due to same parts and changeovers for my personal uses. I have yet to see a decent set of Fox come across the bench as well. Occasionally I will get some chinese knock off set of remotes and have to mic all the parts in order to source the replacements. Usually those guys are from rails or buggys. Either way, none of them are perfect until you give them some elbow grease or have the tools to do so.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
@jonKranked .... In all seriousness, this looks like something that would be pretty easy to make a jig for and kiss the insides of the mast tubes with an end mill where needed. could even match the radius of the reservoir to make it look like less of an afterthought rework....

Willing to help out if that's something you want to pursue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked .... In all seriousness, this looks like something that would be pretty easy to make a jig for and kiss the insides of the mast tubes with an end mill where needed. could even match the radius of the reservoir to make it look like less of an afterthought rework....

Willing to help out if that's something you want to pursue.
yea, i'm open to options for sure. the other guy i'm in touch with runs a machine shop and is a former bike industry guy. depending on what seems like will be the best solution, i'm gonna wait and see what I hear from the Canadian about sourcing an extra seat mast, seeing as how Xprezo closed shop years ago.

also - i'm not in *any* rush to do this. there's nothing wrong with my with my CCDB, so i wanna have that running for the beginning of the season. plus the avy needs to be revalved.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Speaking of sourcing bolts etc... Red Ti bolts, in common MTB sizes? Any ideas? So far only found a place in Germany who seem perpetually out of stock, or have one or two.
I was going to say my default of torontocycles.com for that sort of thing. But they appear to have been COVID'd :(

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
yea, i'm open to options for sure. the other guy i'm in touch with runs a machine shop and is a former bike industry guy. depending on what seems like will be the best solution, i'm gonna wait and see what I hear from the Canadian about sourcing an extra seat mast, seeing as how Xprezo closed shop years ago.

also - i'm not in *any* rush to do this. there's nothing wrong with my with my CCDB, so i wanna have that running for the beginning of the season. plus the avy needs to be revalved.
It does work out very well that the seat mast happens to be removable. Assuming you can find one you can always replace it, and removing makes a professional level rework that much easier.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
today was surprising in it was so uneventful (IMO). Who's terminal is that?
Paid version of tradingview,

Today was impressive by any standard that it was able to hold the millions of small shorts even in an SSR from the whales. The volume kept staying, would have absolutely crushed any stock out there. Mind baffling. With an avg volume of 58 mil at post it is going to get rowdy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I'd slide the washers in and check it, static...if it works, then all you need is procurement or fabrication of the bolt.

SPECIAL BOLTS