Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What's wrong is sped up vids :doh: :no:

As if he needs something like this...
Dorenaz is one of 2 spots I ride during the winter that are close to my house. I ride that track all the time and didn’t think those clips were sped up. It is just narrow, rough and fast. It makes the GoPro look fast and it feels faster even. There’s 2 more trails there but in a legal grey area.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Dorenaz is one of 2 spots I ride during the winter that are close to my house. I ride that track all the time and didn’t think those clips were sped up. It is just narrow, rough and fast. It makes the GoPro look fast and it feels faster even. There’s 2 more trails there but in a legal grey area.
Okay, okay, I stand corrected. It's just the third part that looks hellish fast given the terrain and narrow nature of that trail. You knowing that trail and giving him credit is all proof needed. Maybe it's the bat flu viruses inside me atm that don't let me comprehend those speeds ‍

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
that doesn't look sped up . . . that looks FUN AS HELL.
It’s open year round too. The trail goes up about twice as high too but the gondola doesn’t go up higher. So you can earn your turns if you absolutely have to!

@Flo33

I am not 100% but I don’t think Finn needs any help speeding things up. The new GoPro and a narrow trail ridden fast gives that impression. Vinny T told me his settings but I forgot them since I don’t have a GoPro myself. He gets sections in Morgins to look sped up too.

Distortion on the outside of the image creating a hyperdrive effect. Also, those guys are just fast.

Come check it out one day! You can do a long trail down to another town called Fully and descend into vineyards and wine tasting bars. It’s a MIcroclimate for wine and dry dirt around here.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
IMG_6182.jpg

This is my buddy's SB-165. Cased a small hip jump (~2 ft high), which turns it into a huck to flat.

For what it's worth, he's also cased the same jump in the same way on his Specialized Epic Evo and it's still fine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 173822

This is my buddy's SB-165. Cased a small hip jump (~2 ft high), which turns it into a huck to flat.

For what it's worth, he's also cased the same jump in the same way on his Specialized Epic Evo and it's still fine.
Yeah, but it's unknown if that's the actual proximal event. Usually, a carbon failure will have some loud cracking associated as the strands snap under tension, which is one give-away, but I am unsure if the carbon on my turner swingarm started busting due to a big drop to flat in Sedona, or if it was due to cumulative/acute use before that point. I only noticed it after that drop, but can't be sure it wasn't already starting. Same with my Pivot main-frame flaw, at the main pivot a crack developed that was a known issue with the frame and Pivot replaced it, but I only checked when I saw other's reports and yep, mine was doing the same thing.

But anyway, that's why he paid 5000 for a Yeti frame...for the inevitable warranty replacement, right?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, but it's unknown if that's the actual proximal event. Usually, a carbon failure will have some loud cracking associated as the strands snap under tension, which is one give-away, but I am unsure if the carbon on my turner swingarm started busting due to a big drop to flat in Sedona, or if it was due to cumulative/acute use before that point. I only noticed it after that drop, but can't be sure it wasn't already starting. Same with my Pivot main-frame flaw, at the main pivot a crack developed that was a known issue with the frame and Pivot replaced it, but I only checked when I saw other's reports and yep, mine was doing the same thing.

But anyway, that's why he paid 5000 for a Yeti frame...for the inevitable warranty replacement, right?
I wasn't on the ride, but the guy riding behind him heard a loud crack when he landed that jump. Said at the time they thought it was just really loud chainslap or something with the derailleur.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I wasn't on the ride, but the guy riding behind him heard a loud crack when he landed that jump. Said at the time they thought it was just really loud chainslap or something with the derailleur.
I killed a CF rim (but to it's credit it held up fine with a tube in it for a 7 mile DH back to the car) on a ride where I didn't put enough pressure in for the chunk and it sounded like a hard shock bottom or pop. I tried to figure out what happened by looking over my bike, but didn't see anything initially, all seemed fine. Rode it for a while and then felt a little sealant spraying out, looked closer, that's when I saw the CF had busted, but it took a pretty hard hit and it didn't just shatter into a million parts either. The noise definitely got my attention.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The last time I rode with a Yeti owner (not often), he dropped the bike in a switchback at 3 mph onto some exposed rocks, and that vertical section of the rear triangle cracked like an egg. Maybe it was just the surface layer, and I don't know what follow-up he did.

I don't know if that's normal for carbon bikes, since I don't ride 'em.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Nah not really. Cardboard is basically paper and some cardboard boxes are pretty tough

View attachment 173838
Wow! I guess you feel pretty badass showing up in the parking lot after a ride, still riding your bike, but with half of the mainframe strapped on your backpack. Probably worth it despite all these nasty CF splinters you got in your legs and genitals.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wow! I guess you feel pretty badass showing up in the parking lot after a ride, still riding your bike, but with half of the mainframe strapped on your backpack. Probably worth it despite all these nasty CF splinters you got in your legs and genitals.
Yeah when that one snapped I was sussing it out afterwards and couldn't get past how thin the carbon was. I've seen a new Yeti frame where you could compress a small section of the tube with your thumbnail like it was an empty beer can- that one got warrantied before it was even built though. Some issue with the layup apparently.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Credit where its due for Yeti, Richie seems to not have too many mid-race snapped frames and he's hardly gentle on the things.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
But...but...if you show up at the trail head with a Yeti on top of your Audi SQ7, you're sooper cool!

Hucking to flat is for commoners! Bah!

:D

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Update on the No More Bike Park At Keystone:
Heard from an A-Basin patroller today that he heard Keystone bike park is done. He also heard that one of the reasons is management was sick of the cost of employees getting hurt while on the clock. This was both lifties taking a lap and bike patrol riders doing their duties. The final straw was an employee breaking their femur last summer in way that was really expensive.
The good news is he said A-Basin seems to be doing well financially and wants to have a bike park.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Soquel Demo Forest always has Swerks, Yetis, and whatever $12k-Ebikes on North Shore racks attached to Teslas in the parking area. Conspicuous consumption, "VC"-style.

But...but...if you show up at the trail head with a Yeti on top of your Audi SQ7, you're sooper cool!

Hucking to flat is for commoners! Bah!

:D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Heard from an A-Basin patroller today that he heard Keystone bike park is done. He also heard that one of the reasons is management was sick of the cost of employees getting hurt while on the clock. This was both lifties taking a lap and bike patrol riders doing their duties. The final straw was an employee breaking their femur last summer in way that was really expensive.
The good news is he said A-Basin seems to be doing well financially and wants to have a bike park.
Booo. (@Nick so you can boo too as I know you like(d) Keystone)

A-Basin has certainly got steep enough terrain for some fast trails. Anyone from out of state will be worn out from hypoxia after two laps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's a bummer. keystone was my first experience doing lift access riding. hooked for life.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Soquel Demo Forest always has Swerks, Yetis, and whatever $12k-Ebikes on North Shore racks attached to Teslas in the parking area. Conspicuous consumption, "VC"-style.
speaking of, is there anywhere to grab a decent rental to ride in santa cruz? Planning to be out there for work in about a months time.