Quantcast

Titus broke my heart (sorry, long post)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I gotta say that threads like this are one of the reasons why I like and appreciate RM and all of you. I am planning on buyin a new XC frame this year and was seriously looking at a Titus. I don't think I'll be getting one now.

They may be great frames but I want more than just a great frame. I want a great (or at least a semi honest and fair) company too. If it was just one bad report that wouldn't make me think too much, but hearing many horror stories makes me stop and think about things a bit more.

More than once has this forum and you all prevented me from making a bad bike purchase. ( I actually had a bike shop refund my deposit on an Ellsworth)

MBC, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with Titus, but I would like to thank you for sharing it with us.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
As you know Karine's got the same bike same color. I just finished rebuilding hers and the paint issue is showing on her bike too, but since I had read all about it on empty beer, I 3m taped the sh!t out of that bike!! So only real wear is near the crank underneath the swingarm.

Sorry to hear they broke their promise. It sucks big time.

J.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was considering a RacerX back when I got my last XC bike. I emailed them about getting vee brake studs. Three weeks later I got a response telling me to buy a new bike, E-bay the new carbon stays and buy the aluminium ones with the studs as replacement parts. I pretty much stopped considering a racer X at that point, no because of what I needed to do to get the vee brake compatibility but the length of time it took them to respond and the arrogant way they told me about it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Boutique companies need to manage their reputations...I remember how awed I was to call Turner and (1) actually talk to Dave on one occasion and (2) speak with another guy there that helped me pick out the color scheme on my XCE that I got back in 2001. Felt the same way when I called Avalanche and had a long conversation with Craig about the shock set up on my RFX and what the best options were for me.
Nice to hear your positive feedback on Turner in case I decide to go that route.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Titus has always been good to me (see my "like N8 thread). I've had my Loco Moto for 5 years now and there isn't a scratch on it even after some incredible crashes and of course my new Racer X doesn't have paint for a reason. I'm done with painted mountain bikes either powder or liquid. The Loco has the one of the best ano'd finishes I've ever seen. But in the time I've had that frame I've also had two other well respected brands here on RM that had horrible paint jobs and would flake if I looked at them the wrong way.

I suspect some things have changed at Titus since Chris left but I would keep pushing them. Among the employees here we have 5 Titus frames, one being a Motolite in the same blue color as MBC's which his is luckily ok but not without a few chips. I refused to get a ML when they were introduced because they went to powder instead of ano.

I like the polished rear triangle myself but if you're not happy, push them for the replacement frame and sell it off.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nice to hear your positive feedback on Turner in case I decide to go that route.

When I broke my Turner they bascially just asked my what size and color I wanted and a new bike showed up within 48 hours. I would have preffered that the bike had not broken but I can't think of anything they could have done to do a better job of fixing things for me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I see about being promised a new frame and all but how vain is that to freak out over paint?
Take your time and re-read the post.

she wasn't freaking out - she was concerned about paint chipping off in big flakes and in spots where nothing would even rub against the frame - look at the seatstays.

The issue is not about freaking out about paint, it is about a company promising one thing......delaying delaying and delaying some more and then renegging on their promise.

bad decisions many times over by Titus in my opinion so MBC brought it to people's attention. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I see about being promised a new frame and all but how vain is that to freak out over paint?
:rolleyes:

You seriously wouldn't be a little bit upset if all the paint started flaking off your new, expensive frame? I'd be pissed. It's not vanity, it's about an expectation to get what you pay for. You paid for the whole package, not just the functional part of it.

What if you bought a new car and all the paint started flaking off the side? Or is that different because it's a car and not a bike?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
It's not about the paint, it's about getting the run around and being lied to. To be honest though, if I paid that much for a frame and chunks of paint were falling off, I'd be mad too (if for nothing else, think about the resale value).

FWIW I have found INCREDIBLE C/S from Versus, and the little bit of help I needed from Turner proved to be quick as well.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You all remember how chico freaked out when I commented on his "paint" job right??? When you are a prick at every turn, you deserve the picking you get from people.

On to MBC's issue. Titus doesn't have a clue about structure, IMO. My friend broke his HH100 a couple of years back, at the seat tube. Titus, rather than replacing the front triangle, repaired and gussetted the tubes. It had grinding much a kin to what a 5th grade shop student would have done. It took over 4 months to get it back, after they blamed Spectrum for being out on lead times. It was anodized to begin with, so I had issue with them repairing instead of replacing and then pointing out that frame couldn't be re-anodized, as it would darken the welds. If I buy a finish, it should always be that finish. The frame was ultimately sent back raw and Hammerhead Bikes got it pwdered. Titus dropped the ball and didn't really help out. It's a short warranty anyway, but it's still really limited. Lame.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Sorry to hear about your dealings with Titus, MBC. Actually, I'm a little surprised you went with one after all the crap gone through to get IAB's bike back in '02. I loved my Quasi, and the paint held up fine, though the back end was polished. I ended up selling it at a major loss a couple years ago. Don't know what happened since then. I haven't heard a lot of good stuff about them in the last few years. A buddy of mine owns a shop that sells Titus. I'm going to forward this thread to him, and see what he has to say. Don't think he wants to carry a product by a company with this kind of CS.

Good luck finding another frame. Check out Turner for something similar but with better CS. (Why do IAB and I keep lusting after the same brands?)

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
she wasn't freaking out - she was concerned about paint chipping off in big flakes and in spots where nothing would even rub against the frame - look at the seatstays.
understandably getting the run around sucks (i had a similar deal with a carbon trek road frame. balking at warranty and then taking months to get it fixed), but the chipped paint is far from a place where nothing would ever rub it. The underside of the chainstay is obviously from chain suck/slap, and the seat stay near the drop out is the most likely place to chip paint from tagging a tree/rock etc, if not just the back of your foot rubbing it depending on cleat placement. i agree their service sucks and it shouldve been resovled one way or another in a more expedient mannner, but really the only chipped spot you could even see was a small chunk near the dropout, and i can understand why they wouldnt warranty the frame.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Actually, I'm a little surprised you went with one after all the crap gone through to get IAB's bike back in '02.
Believe me, we talked at length about buying another Titus, but MBC really liked the Moto Lite (her bike search took months) and we figured maybe my bad experience was just a fluke. I mean, we couldn't possibly have two bad experiences with the same company, right? :rolleyes:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Take your time and re-read the post.

The issue is not about freaking out about paint, it is about a company promising one thing......delaying delaying and delaying some more and then renegging on their promise.

bad decisions many times over by Titus in my opinion so MBC brought it to people's attention. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
I took my time and I know that she is mad about being promised one thing and not getting what she was promised.

And maybe freaking out was the wrong word, but its still just paint.

:rolleyes:

You seriously wouldn't be a little bit upset if all the paint started flaking off your new, expensive frame? I'd be pissed. It's not vanity, it's about an expectation to get what you pay for. You paid for the whole package, not just the functional part of it.
Uh...no. But I think its comes with the territory (SP?)
What if you bought a new car and all the paint started flaking off the side? Or is that different because it's a car and not a bike?
Well, If I was driving that car off-road for the entirety of its life I would kind of expect it, ya know?

You all remember how chico freaked out when I commented on his "paint" job right??? When you are a prick at every turn, you deserve the picking you get from people.

Don't talk to me.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
IAB; cliff notes on what happened with you?
Cliff Notes:

I ordered a Switchblade in May. Due to a Loco Moto recall, my order got delayed (they kept telling me my bike would ship in a week, each delay for a different reason). May...June...July...still no bike. I find out via the intarwebs that the Loco Moto recall wiped out their Switchblade stock because Titus was offering free Switchblade upgrades to Loco Moto owners. Great for those people, crappy for me. After many phone calls to Titus lackeys, I finally speak to Chris (former Titus owner) in August and he tells me it'd be a few more weeks. I told him to cancel my order. He then offers me a free upgrade to the Quasi Moto Lite. I accept and my bike arrives the next week.

So yeah, in the end I got a free upgrade which was nice (and I love the bike), but it took me four months and canceling my order to get it. I would not have ordered the bike had I known what I was going to go through.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Cliff Notes:

I ordered a Switchblade in May. Due to a Loco Moto recall, my order got delayed (they kept telling me my bike would ship in a week, each delay for a different reason). May...June...July...still no bike. I find out via the intarwebs that the Loco Moto recall wiped out their Switchblade stock because Titus was offering free Switchblade upgrades to Loco Moto owners. Great for those people, crappy for me. After many phone calls to Titus lackeys, I finally speak to Chris (former Titus owner) in August and he tells me it'd be a few more weeks. I told him to cancel my order. He then offers me a free upgrade to the Quasi Moto Lite. I accept and my bike arrives the next week.

So yeah, in the end I got a free upgrade which was nice (and I love the bike), but it took me four months and canceling my order to get it. I would not have ordered the bike had I known what I was going to go through.
welcome to being a customer of the bike industry...unfortunately, those sorts of stories run rampant. are there any people here who have purchased 3-5 bikes or tried to warranty frames or forks and *not* had at least one off-putting experience?

i'd be surprised if there are. not saying it's right, just that it seems to come w/ the territory...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
welcome to being a customer of the bike industry...unfortunately, those sorts of stories run rampant. are there any people here who have purchased 3-5 bikes or tried to warranty frames or forks and *not* had at least one off-putting experience?

i'd be surprised if there are. not saying it's right, just that it seems to come w/ the territory...
I understand sh!t happens, which is why we gave them another chance.

2 for 2 though?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, If I was driving that car off-road for the entirety of its life I would kind of expect it, ya know?
You'd expect large sections of the paintjob to flake off because of small scratches you inflicted on it?

Man... They say there's one born every minute. PM me, I've got some stuff to sell you.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I agree with the "it's only paint" stance, but when you pay$1000+ for a bicycle frame it should be spot on. Maybe I'm getting douchey in my old age (33) but when I'm spending thousands of dollars for anything I want it to be perfect. If I scratch, dent or ding it that's my problem, but when you buy something that has a defect, the manufacturer should stand by their product. You bought a blue frame because you liked the blue frame, not a blue frame with a silver rear triangle- otherwise you would have purchased that combo.

Sell the frame, buy something you love and f-Titus

L

luelling

I read this thread at work ealier today and I was really bumbed out. I had always considered Titus to be a top notch company and really wanted to purchase one of their bikes. I guess I know better now. If they can't resolve a simple paint issue imagine how it would be if you broke a swing arm?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I find out via the intarwebs that the Loco Moto recall wiped out their Switchblade stock because Titus was offering free Switchblade upgrades to Loco Moto owners.
Are you talking about the recall in 2002? They definitely not offering free Switchblade upgrades to ALL Loco owners.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
wow...kinda nightmarish in all honesty. for my part, i used to ride a motolite from around 1999. at one point, i was just riding along on my way back from a spin and compressed the rear shock, only to have the shock mount on the front triangle rip off the frame on one side. not cool. called titus and sent my frame in. even though it was not under warranty any more, they took my broken baby and rewelded and reinforced the front triangle where it broke. it was probably stronger after their work. i guess what i'm saying is what they did was not cool and not acceptable by any business standards, but i'm not gonna sh!t on them cuz they treated me well in the past.

best of luck to you, and i hope titus gets there sh!t together because they really do make a great frame.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I now own 2 Sevens, a road bike and a hardtail. I have also worked for 3 Seven dealers, so I know alot about their business practices as well. These dealers have sent back frames with very minor paint problems without question and it was repainted with no charge. We have also eaten 2 frames which were perfect except for one thing, like toe overlap which the buyer signed off on.

My point is that I consider Seven to be the best bike available, and one reason is that they don't give you the run around when there is a problem. They have always stand by their word, even when I have disagreed with them.

Most of the boutique mountain bike companies are no different than the majors. They may offer more build kits and have staffs of tens, not hundreds, but when you start manufacturing your frames out of house, then you quickly become no different than a Taiwanese factory.

Titus may claim to build everything in house, but their linkages and probably their rear triangles were made somewhere else. They also probably paint out of house as well. Now they have an internet reputation problem now.

P.S. Most of my frames, ti and alu, are unpainted. Wonder why?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
After reading the thread over at MTBR I'm a little confused. N8 is MBC's wife? And they've been having issues with IAB's rear end?

Interesting response from Titus on MTBR. At least it confirms your suspicion that communication is utterly shoddy.

Oh well. Are you going to build it or sell it and look for a new frame?
Up until I read Jeff's post I was resigning myself to keeping it. Now if I can find a way to get most of my money out of it (ebay or something) I'm going to replace it.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used small ML? :plthumbsdown: