Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Gin & Tacos, killing it as usual:

YOU'RE AWFULLY WELL INFORMED ABOUT CLIMATOLOGY FOR SOMEONE WHO TOOK ONE HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE CLASS 43 YEARS AGO AND GOT A "D" IN IT BUT PLEASE DO GO ON, I'M SURE YOU'VE LEARNED ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM THE COMMENT SECTIONS OF LOCAL NEWSPAPERS AND WHAT'S THAT, YOU'RE AN EXPERT IN MACROECONOMICS TOO? AMAZING. HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY IF YOU'RE SO BRILLIANT AND HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS YOU DO THINGS LIKE DRIVE A DODGE DURANGO YOU BOUGHT ON 72 MONTH FINANCING TO A GOLDEN CORRAL IN THE PARKING LOT OF A DOLLAR STORE AND YOU TAKE NINE PRESCRIPTIONS JUST TO KEEP THE TRASH BAG FULL OF EXPIRED TACO MEAT YOU CALL A BODY HEALTHY ENOUGH FOR YOUR DEMANDING SCHEDULE OF SITTING ON THE COUCH WATCHING "FOX & FRIENDS" AND BEING RACIST? YOU'D THINK THAT BEING AN EXPERT IN EVERYTHING WOULD LET YOU GET AHEAD OF THE CURVE ON SOME OF THAT BUT NO, HERE YOU ARE, IN THE RICHEST INDUSTRIALIZED DEMOCRACY IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD AND YOU'VE MANAGED TO GET RICKETS BUT I BET I KNOW WHO'S FAULT IT IS, IT'S THE MEXICANS OR THE LIBERALS OR THE GAYS OR DEFINITELY NOT EVER YOURS, YOU PARAGON OF PERSONAL FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY YOU. THANK GOD YOUR GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED HEALTH INSURANCE IS ABOUT TO DISAPPEAR, I BET YOU HAVE A REAL GOOD PLAN FOR THAT AND IT INVOLVES THE "I'M WHITE, SO I DESERVE HANDOUTS" GRAVY TRAIN YOU'VE BEEN RIDING FOR THREE QUARTERS OF A CENTURY.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I just heard Scott Pruitt, EPA Administrator, use the term 'clean coal', again.

It never get's better.
I see some idiot twatwaffle at the gym all the time who wears a clean coal t shirt. I really want to engage him about it, but fear that I would fly into a pre psychotic rage and smash him in the face with a dumbbell...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I see some idiot twatwaffle at the gym all the time who wears a clean coal t shirt. I really want to engage him about it, but fear that I would fly into a pre psychotic rage and smash him in the face with a dumbbell...
I would simply wear my Camacho T-shirt in response (like I am today).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Turning over the entire air traffic control industry to a "self-financing, non-profit" single private entity.
I'm guessing there will be more than a fair amount of profiting going on.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Turning over the entire air traffic control industry to a "self-financing, non-profit" single private entity.
I'm guessing there will be more than a fair amount of profiting going on.
The airlines want this to happen because they see the fuel tax that pays for ATC as unfair, they feel that for paying the bulk of the cost of the FAA/ATO (ATO is AIr Traffic Control in FAA speak), they should receive the bulk of the services. ATC is a first-come/first-serve basis that is not supposed to give preference to an airline vs. a guy out flying his cub. Inevitably they do already give some preference to airlines, but they also work the little guys in when they can. The airlines want the leverage to kick the little guys out of the system and cram more airplanes in and out of airports and enroute. The controllers that work approach, enroute and departure can only handle so many airplanes in their sectors at one time and lets not forget that one reason is the failure of the airlines to modernize their fleet. They like to blame this one on the FAA, and for sure the FAA has screwed up ADS-B to some extent by bending to pressure from Europe, so that now two frequencies are in use, but the airlines could have gone out and gotten the equipment (some have, but not all), however, they want to wait until the last minute and try to wring all they can from congress as far as subsidies and "help", some in the form of extensions/waivers for complying.

The end game here is the airlines want to squeeze out private (general) aviation and make it so costly that they end up with the airspace and services pretty much to themselves. This should be no surprise given who is in office right now. I feel for my ATC brethren, and a large percentage of the FAA is all up in arms about this, but the dumbasses voted for him in the first place. No shit idiots. Schuster has been trying to get this through for years.

Basic infrastructure and government services should never be privatized. In the long run, this gives the private industry enormous leverage that always turns out for the worst. Just a small example of this is how the city farmed out all the parking to private parking-lot companies. Now to go to the federal building downtown with government vehicles the agency has to pay a freaking parking fee and a voucher fee to get reimbursed, there is no federal parking and all of the agencies downtown have to pay monthly fees for the spots. Just dumbass lunacy. Some of that land should have remained in federal or city hands, which would have saved a ton of money over the long run, but no, the city was able to make a quick buck on a small piece of land.

We already have problems with private ATC (some control towers are contract services operated by Lockheed Martin). I know of one in particular where the guy talks so fast no pilot can understand him, and I'm talking major airline pilots that do this every single day, it's a known issue, but he doesn't answer to our chain of command so we are screwed. I expect more of this happening.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
for sure the FAA has screwed up ADS-B to some extent by bending to pressure from Europe,
I'm sure it's not just pressure from Europe.

Heard from avionics the other day that we're planning on installing this in a large number of 200's in our fleet. The bad news being that we are apparently planning on flying 200's long enough for that to be viable. :dead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Heard from avionics the other day that we're planning on installing this in a large number of 200's in our fleet. The bad news being that we are apparently planning on flying 200's long enough for that to be viable. :dead:
In the beginning, there was 978mhz and everything appeared golden. 1090 Mode S transmitters had been installed in a few places, but it was decided there would be no more 1090 installations and everything would go to 978. It was decided Mode S was on the way out. 978 offered enough bandwidth to transmit traffic, weather and a plethora of other information, known as TIS-B and FIS-B. ADS-B transceivers went up across the country and all of a sudden back in 2009 or so everything "turned on" (apart from the few test sites that existed before). This was going to be the requirement for aircraft by 2020.

Under pressure from Europe and likely international US-based airlines, the FAA caved in agreed to use/require 1090mhz above 18,000 feet. 1090 would meet the requirements below 18,000 feet, but you could not use 978 above that altitude. This had the effect of throwing a wrench in the whole thing. Now, an airplane broadcasting 978 and receiving on the same wouldn't see one right next to it on 1090. To "fix" this problem, the FAA went back and basically doubled the entire ground network, known as "ADS-B Rebroadcast", putting up an additional antenna that would find the signals from one, and transmit it on the other. This is now limited by line of sight to the station, instead of to aircraft. To fix this, some aircraft are also installing "double" systems, that receive on both frequencies, but transmit on one, depending on what the intended usage of the aircraft is. Although you can go out and buy a 1090 transponder for a reasonable amount, you can't get the weather and other information broadcast, because the frequency can't handle the bandwidth. Then to cap it off, this technology is only required where you had to have a basic transponder, thanks to lobbying by general aviation groups, which means there are still tons of little airplanes flying around with no transponder or ADS-B that you won't see on the display.

It is a massive clusterfuck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

You speak of the Dash 8 200?

I am surprised to read that there are less than 1300 of them made, all series. They seem to be ubiquitous on East Coast commuter routes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You speak of the Dash 8 200?

I am surprised to read that there are less than 1300 of them made, all series. They seem to be ubiquitous on East Coast commuter routes.
Plenty of -100 and 400s in Alaska, although the -400s aren't working out so well. -100s for the foreseeable future.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i wish they would do away with carry on luggage...fucking check everything....
Airlines could if they wanted. That little thing about "FAA regulations only allow you to bring one carry on and one personal item" is a flat out lie. The only regulation is that all cargo must be secure, under the seat is considered to be secure, in the baggage compartment is considered to be secure, and anything about the size of a meat-missile or smaller is considered to be secure. A meat-missile is the name we give when people carry kids under the age of 2 without an approved seat, otherwise known as "lap children". Somehow someone worked this rule in that it's possible to hold on to a baby during a 15g (or more) crash impact, but the reality is as soon as those crash-Gs are felt, the baby will become a missile in the cabin. So anything of roughly that size that you can hold on to and smaller, that's where the "personal item" thing comes from.

Last edited: