Quantcast

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I don't believe standing necessarily means you believe those kneeling are doing so in spite of the men and women who have fought and given their lives for this country.
I think it's the opposite, kneeling shows that you respect the fact that the anthem is being sung, but would like to make a statement of some form or another, very respectful IMHO. When Kapernick started his protest last year by sitting on the bench for the Anthem, I thought that was a sign of either disrespect, or total lack of situational awareness, especially given his mediocre explanations of what exactly his point was early on. Joining the team on the field and taking a knee, especially when you have a well thought out point that you can articulate in a press conference later, by all means. Likewise, simply standing for the Anthem doesn't really mean you respect and honor those who serve or have served, lots of people have stood for the Anthem, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance and don't really mean what they say.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I wonder if Herr Twitler stands when the National Anthem plays on a televised football game. Surely he does because to do otherwise would make him a hypocrite along with all the other arm chair political pundits.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I have to say that during Vietnam I refused to stand and say the pledge in protest of what I felt was illegal and immoral conduct at the time by our government ( I still feel that way) I supported and respected those who got sent there to fight. I spent a dozen or so years as a fire fighter laying my ass on the line every day for other citizens which is way more that those flag waving bible thumping jack asses in office will ever do. I fully support those Players exercising their rights under the constitution to to protest and voice their opinions. The civics and constitutionally vacuous Shithead Cheeto and his minions can go Fuck themselves

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to say that during Vietnam I refused to stand and say the pledge in protest of what I felt was illegal and immoral conduct at the time by our government ( I still feel that way) I supported and respected those who got sent there to fight. I spent a dozen or so years as a fire fighter laying my ass on the line every day for other citizens which is way more that those flag waving bible thumping jack asses in office will ever do. I fully support those Players exercising their rights under the constitution to to protest and voice their opinions. The civics and constitutionally vacuous Shithead Cheeto and his minions can go Fuck themselves

I didn't stand for the pledge when I was in high school because pledging allegiance to a inanimate object is stupid.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I didn't stand for the pledge when I was in high school because pledging allegiance to a inanimate object is stupid.
i don't remember the pledge in high school...was asleep most of the time.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Was having a friendly conversation with a neighbor and had forgotten he is the village idiot until it devolved into him telling me the Rainbow Flag is a sign of bigotry used by teh gays and he doesn't have to accept it, and the usual homophobic Right Wing crap. Then he tells me that there are no Nazis and the guy who ran over and killed a woman in Charlottesville wasn't a Nazi and that she deserved it for blocking traffic. I asked him several times rhetorically if he or his family is Jewish, each time giving an evasive answer. The conversation ended with me screaming "what the fuck is wrong with you ?" at least five times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-plan-cuts-corporate-individual-taxes-repeals-estate-tax-n805126

I love how they are proposing to "simplify" our tax code by reducing the number of tax brackets. It's as if that's the real head scratcher when the majority of Americans sit down every spring. Nailed it again boys!
I think there should be an infinite (well at least down to the individual cent level) number of brackets. Yes, I know how brackets work in that it's only income over the bracket limit that's at the next bracket's marginal rate, but given that tax amounts are either looked up with a table or done using a computer there's no reason marginal rates shouldn't change smoothly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-plan-cuts-corporate-individual-taxes-repeals-estate-tax-n805126

I love how they are proposing to "simplify" our tax code by reducing the number of tax brackets. It's as if that's the real head scratcher when the majority of Americans sit down every spring. Nailed it again boys!
Not to mention it will likely significantly increase the tax rate for those that end up at the bottom end of the new brackets. Living in a high cost, high local tax, high wage area I could end up having my tax bill go up by more than 25%. That will stimulate the hell out of the economy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
His son-in-law is trans

It's not clear if this constitutes a breach of voting laws, but it is quite ironic considering the Trump administration's claims of widespread voter fraud. Moreover, it adds to the already embarrassing fact that Kushner is registered to vote in two states—both New York and New Jersey. (Voter records from New Jersey list Kushner's gender as "unknown.")

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not to mention it will likely significantly increase the tax rate for those that end up at the bottom end of the new brackets. Living in a high cost, high local tax, high wage area I could end up having my tax bill go up by more than 25%. That will stimulate the hell out of the economy.
The poor have to pay their fair share, not rent or food.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think there should be an infinite (well at least down to the individual cent level) number of brackets. Yes, I know how brackets work in that it's only income over the bracket limit that's at the next bracket's marginal rate, but given that tax amounts are either looked up with a table or done using a computer there's no reason marginal rates shouldn't change smoothly.
It's laughable to think that condensing the tax brackets, or changing the standard deduction, or eliminating the estate tax is going to achieve the Republican wet dream of "taxes on a postcard!" If they were actually serious about tax reform, step 1 would be to shuck the copious dollars they (and this goes for Democrats too I'm sure) gladly guzzle from the corporate teat of Intuit and H&R Block. That alone would go further in allowing the tax code to be simplified than any amount of fiddling with brackets or deductions would.