Quantcast

Tuesday gmt yadseut

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Our friend had her 30th birthday so we decided to throw her a special party.

We found that 30min from the city center of Warsaw (so still technically in Warsaw) someone is renting out a wooden house with it's own private lake. I'm still surprised a place like this can exist so close to a big European capital.

I had the shitty task of cooking for a crowd where 2 people are vegan and one person has celiac disease (I can't imagine being Vegan and not being able to eat gluten). One week before we also went to this strange Swedish shop which for some unexplained reason shares a name with our friend and bought hats with her name, cups with her name, lighers. Basically everything we could find. We also have a new tradition of ordering cheesy cakes from a sweet vietnamese baker so we ordered the wierdest design we could come up with.

To top it all off our friends who were also there had an amstaf puppy.

Some photos:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Does this GMT have wingdings? I'm confused.

:wave:

I do not believe we are due for any sort of weather, but holy moly, do I feel like some is coming. Woke up with all my broken pieces aching in a bad way this morning. WTF?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
shocked they are not banned....
Why would they be? Because of silly stereotypes? Guard dogs are much more dangerous to humans than fighting dogs since you know they guard stuff. Fight dogs like Amstafs, Pitbulls and Bullterriers are difficult to raise but are great dogs and don't deserve the reputation some people who have no experience with dogs made up for them.
They just can't get in a fight with another dog in the first year . Ffs Spaniels and Labs can be more agressive than a properly rised 'staff. To give you an example of fight dogs being calm - My GF's bullterier got bitten by a lab so hard it had to get stiches. All the lab got for that was a big headbutt.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning. Trying to learn to live with my first Samsung phone. This S8 hardware with some Nexus software would be the isht. Rain is coming so no riding today as snow on the ground + rain = a big no no for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Morning. Trying to learn to live with my first Samsung phone. This S8 hardware with some Nexus software would be the isht. Rain is coming so no riding today as snow on the ground + rain = a big no no for me.
which did you get? my note has been really really nice coming from an iphone. there are subtle things I don't like (I seem to have to adjust the brightness more?) but otherwise it's pretty dope.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
which did you get? my note has been really really nice coming from an iphone. there are subtle things I don't like (I seem to have to adjust the brightness more?) but otherwise it's pretty dope.
After using HTC's for years Samsung version of Android is horrible. There are many tiny things I dislike. I don't remember them all but there are many small annoyances where the phone is not intuitive or when it unlocks in my pocket. Also I have no reason why Samsungs have a wider lens compared to Iphones.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am sitting here spinning my wheels at work, waiting for our new corporate overlords to finish their acquisition of our little startup. Then it might be time for a little R+R with the kids for a few months/years.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
After using HTC's for years Samsung version of Android is horrible. There are many tiny things I dislike. I don't remember them all but there are many small annoyances where the phone is not intuitive or when it unlocks in my pocket. Also I have no reason why Samsungs have a wider lens compared to Iphones.
Which samsung's version of android are you on? I despised android when I departed at version 4.x.xx.x.x.x.x.x.x peanutbutterjellytime or whatever. The note 8 is on 7.1.1, which is remarkably robust and is very apple-like in it's intuitiveness and customization. Still don't like that google tracks my every move, but I'm an old fat guy at 35, not a corporate spy anti-government tinfoil hat weirdo.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Which samsung's version of android are you on? I despised android when I departed at version 4.x.xx.x.x.x.x.x.x peanutbutterjellytime or whatever. The note 8 is on 7.1.1, which is remarkably robust and is very apple-like in it's intuitiveness and customization. Still don't like that google tracks my every move, but I'm an old fat guy at 35, not a corporate spy anti-government tinfoil hat weirdo.
Second to latest version. Keyboard suggestions are crap, camera app is annoying, the way apps are displayed and shuffled on the app list are annoying. To name a few. HTC really has the fest OS of all android phones but their cameras used to be shit for a very long time and I really wanted a phone with a non potato camera because I'm to lazy to carry a full size one with me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Second to latest version. Keyboard suggestions are crap, camera app is annoying, the way apps are displayed and shuffled on the app list are annoying. To name a few. HTC really has the fest OS of all android phones but their cameras used to be shit for a very long time and I really wanted a phone with a non potato camera because I'm to lazy to carry a full size one with me.
I had the same problem with samsung's keyboard, but you can replace it on android, which is what I did with the google[collectallinfo]keyboard. Predictive typing is WAY better.

My only disappointment with the camera is low light imagery in the closeup camera is mediocre at best. Get some light on the subject and it's amazing. I am terrible at photography but have been amazed at the pictures I've taken.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am sitting here spinning my wheels at work, waiting for our new corporate overlords to finish their acquisition of our little startup. Then it might be time for a little R+R with the kids for a few months/years.
Can you comment on details? Are you still biopharma?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Got about 6" of snow over the weekend and today we are on tap to get 2"-4" more. Then it is gonna turn to rain and make a huge icy mess. No one likes an icy mess. Plz just snow.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
in the states....this.
It's not a problem of the dogs but people. People are idiots and should pass a test before owning dogs but if that's a problem for gun's I doubt it will work for dogs. I'm against breeders too, I'd rather people adopt dogs and cats. Not to mention breeding creates animals with shorter lifespans. Well at least my friend is very responsible, he reads a lot about how to rise a dog, he goes to a behaviorist and it will be a well rised dog thanks to that.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

It's that time of year, to smush a deer. I nearly hit one last night - big 8-10 pointer leaped right over the front end of the vehicle as he came hauling ass out of the field I was passing. Evasive maneuvers, Captain!! Code brown! Code brown!! :panic:

Got a ton of stuff to do today, so naturally I'm wanting to take a nap.

I'm not saying the beef and noodles I made last night were good, but Kirstie Allie called and said, "Damn."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I had the same problem with samsung's keyboard, but you can replace it on android, which is what I did with the google[collectallinfo]keyboard. Predictive typing is WAY better.

My only disappointment with the camera is low light imagery in the closeup camera is mediocre at best. Get some light on the subject and it's amazing. I am terrible at photography but have been amazed at the pictures I've taken.
is the focal length in your note still super short creating distorted angles on the edges plus making people look like they are relatives of Shrek?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Can you keep the meat? Are you and the truck ok?
Other than needing new underwear yeah I'm good. License plate bracket broke, small dent in bumper, and though I was gonna Jimmy Dean it when the drivers side tires were three feet off the ground..... Tripped the impact switch for the fuel pump......... As far as keeping any meat..... Not from this one. May upload a license later.

Oof that sucks. Mucho deer smear.
that's one way to describe it. I have to get the pressure washer out later so I can get the guts off the exhaust..... Cause you know..... That smells awesome

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
is the focal length in your note still super short creating distorted angles on the edges plus making people look like they are relatives of Shrek?
Haven't noticed anything like that. The note uses two cameras, so it's possible that they improved the big one while adding the closeup shot.

Can you comment on details? Are you still biopharma?
Yep, I'm at a startup getting gobbled up by "big pharma". I don't know all the details yet, but it should amount to a pretty small but reasonable payday for us (not retiring at 35, but maybe a new roof on the house and a college fund for the kids). I don't know what's going to happen to my position, it sounds like it's going to continue but I truly hope for some severance so that I get the summer to hang with my daughter and son guilt free. If that doesn't comes to pass, it'll be a long conversation about whether to stay or go. It's been a hard slog here and career advancement is basically nil, but things may improve with new ownership.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My biggest gripe with the S8 (the "small" size) is that I have been using my Moto/Google phones with barebones android in a certain way for years and now samsung forces me to use slightly different versions of the common apps and workflows, like the awful Clock app, Phone dialler, the terrible launcher etc. Also, not sure I am sold on the round edges of the display.

I haven't had a chance to play with the camera much, yet; but in general I like wide angles and portraits can always be taken from a distance and cropped down, there are enough pixels to do that nowadays. Not sure if the camera in the S8 is the same is in the Note but Sandwich's pictures are stunning.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Other than needing new underwear yeah I'm good. License plate bracket broke, small dent in bumper, and though I was gonna Jimmy Dean it when the drivers side tires were three feet off the ground..... Tripped the impact switch for the fuel pump......... As far as keeping any meat..... Not from this one. May upload a license later.

that's one way to describe it. I have to get the pressure washer out later so I can get the guts off the exhaust..... Cause you know..... That smells awesome
Whenever one of the planes hits a bird(s)......oof, when they go through the engine, roasted chicken in hell is about the only way to describe that stench.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Ripped up carpet, carpet tacks, and pulled a bunch of baseboards in the basement last night. Taped the remaining baseboards in prep for painting the floor with Killz tonight and for the carpet install on Thursday. The smell and cat piss was so bad that it had accrued to piles of dust in the heavy pee areas. I fucking hate cats.
T-3 days

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I have some viral crud. Thai food with wife for lunch (and takeout acquired at that time for dinner). Working 5-10.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First snow storm of the year. commute into work was fantastic. a lot more work in the packed snow, and mucho fishtailing as the skinny tires sank through the semi-compacted snow, but good to work the proprioceptors....

upload_2017-12-12_10-14-32.png

upload_2017-12-12_10-16-3.png

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
some friends and i took to calling it deer smear back in college, term stuck i guess. on some of the highways out here when a deer gets hit by a semi it is literally a smear. we have a big whitetail population in PA.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, I'm at a startup getting gobbled up by "big pharma". I don't know all the details yet, but it should amount to a pretty small but reasonable payday for us (not retiring at 35, but maybe a new roof on the house and a college fund for the kids). I don't know what's going to happen to my position, it sounds like it's going to continue but I truly hope for some severance so that I get the summer to hang with my daughter and son guilt free. If that doesn't comes to pass, it'll be a long conversation about whether to stay or go. It's been a hard slog here and career advancement is basically nil, but things may improve with new ownership.
gotcha. the fields we work in (i'm in med device) are starting to overlap more and more. these days it seems like the best way to go if you have a truly innovative idea is to build your own startup, and just wait to be bought before bringing to market. not that it's really feasible these days for small startups to actually bring anything to market.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
gotcha. the fields we work in (i'm in med device) are starting to overlap more and more. these days it seems like the best way to go if you have a truly innovative idea is to build your own startup, and just wait to be bought before bringing to market. not that it's really feasible these days for small startups to actually bring anything to market.

the bio world has begun to work like:
College lab finds something cool. There's potential, but we have no money.
Venture capital says "We have money, let's do this!" and forms a company with licensed tech.
Big pharma says "There's potential, we have money, let's do this" and acquires company.
Venture capitalists find another lab with something cool.
Colleges get rich. Venture capitalists get rich. Big pharma takes mimimal risks. Sometimes lab geeks get a little extra pay on the side.

I think @Inclag was in meddevice as well. Not sure what his status is.