Quantcast

Where's your Jesus now?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
We all have “faith” in something, science as it’s been bandied about in the last several posts, doesn’t have all the “hard” answers. I don’t belittle people who put their faith in science, but it does seem a bit hypocritical when they belittle those who put their faith in some religious system/understanding. (assuming those who do put their faith in some sort of religion aren't they themselves belittling folks...if that's the case then it's fair game)

Only difference is that my faith is based on more something thats mesurable, and in the end is exponentially more probable then what you are believing, but as you said later in this post, its not about that for you. And I definitly respect that point of view.

Again, that is the Judaic concept of the mystery of God, they don’t try to explain it, they just embrace it.

Doesnt work for me personally, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Now some more critical folks here on RM might jump up and down that the whole “mystery of God” thing is a cop out, that I’m not really addressing the question / problem. Well you’re right. Here’s the deal. Each of us only has a finite amount of time and energy to devote while we’re here. So I have two choices (so to speak), I can 1) devote all kinds of time and energy into polishing my apologetic skills and “proving” God/Jesus/Bible....which when it comes down to it does little practical hands on "good" in the world or 2) live out what Jesus teaches and make the world a better place, be a better husband, father, etc. I choose 2.

Fair enough, but this has nothing to do with most religious people. This about the most rational religious reasoning Ive read so far.

Again, I would put forward that being obedient to, for example in this discussion, the God of the Bible, out of fear is not an understanding that those who authored said Text held. Obedience, doing those “good deeds” was out of a love for God vs. fear of becoming “extra crispy”.

This is also definitly a matter of interpretation.
You can read the scriptures in lots of ways, but the god of the old testament (yes I actually read it myself) was definitly a malicious god imo.
I would say a great deal of the religious people in the world hold different beliefs then you in this.

Really? I’d be interested in some numbers on that. I’m inclined to think that religion tends to be a convenient “reason” to kill people, but throughout human history, if that wasn’t handy folks weren’t bashful about finding other “reasons” to kill each other.
Sure people will find other reasons. But violence has declined ever since biblical times.
Were now living in a time where there is far less religion and also far less violence then ever before and if you look at the conflicts we still have, they are usually about religion.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
This is all you need to say.
Why wouldnt there be any use?
Isnt that what people do on a forum?
Religion vs Science to me and lots of other people is a very interesting subject. It is of great influence on anyone in the world we live in.
Im only refering to the no "use point" because one party doesnt want to know the facts that are being discussed because it takes him too much effort.
If it takes so much effort to learn about what youre talking about, there really isnt any use in getting into the argument in the first place is there?

Glad people like you still have something usefull to contribute though. :D

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
At least you would know what the hell you were talking about.
No use arguing with you if you dont want to know what Im talking about is there?
At least I read the bible and was raised a Christian so I actually know what Im criticising.
So without completing your assigned reading I can't participate in a discussion on the merits of religion and science in explaining what some call "the mysteries of life"?

Forgive me if I ignore your opinion.

I don't know where the universe came from. I don't have "faith" in science, I have a void with a question that doesn't have a satisfactory answer as of now. There are people, smarter than me in that field, that have some ideas, but none of them are arrogant enough to say, "This is definitely the way it happened."
Silver, I'm in the same boat.

Kevin has more or less made the assertion that religion is no longer valuable as a way for people to explain the universe because science has found the answers.

The argument I am trying to make is, anyone who believes that science has all the answers is foolish just as someone who believes that religion has all the answers is foolish.

Humans are incapable of truly comprehending infinite concepts, whether religious or scientific. We can try, and we can talk about them symbolically or theoretically, but we can't experience or perceive them directly.
MikeD you are a gentleman and a scholar.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Humans are incapable of truly comprehending infinite concepts, whether religious or scientific. We can try, and we can talk about them symbolically or theoretically, but we can't experience or perceive them directly.
You should do shrooms with Knuckleslamer. :rofl:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Lookit, Pope says God made the Big Bang. Now I have a picture of God bending over and lighting a big God fart with a Bic shouting "Hey, Zeus, check this out!"

Big Bang Pope

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So without completing your assigned reading I can't participate in a discussion on the merits of religion and science in explaining what some call "the mysteries of life"?

Forgive me if I ignore your opinion.
Sure you can join in on the conversation, but if you dont know both sides of the discussion your input doesnt really bring much to the table as if yould fully understand both sides does it?

I told you before that science doesnt claim that it has all the final anwsers, I never claimed that what Im saying here is absolute truth, in fact, I said it is not.
Science has allready uncovered a whole lot about a whole lot. The general public doesnt even know about most of these discoveries, thats why i told you to read and get educated on the subject first before you talk about something you dont know enough about.
What bothers me is that religion is not catching up and in some cases even straight up denies scientific facts.
If I were a religious leader I would be embracing these facts because they are as marvelous as they would be with the intervention of a surpreme being.
But as Darwin said, "There is grandeur in this view of life". I dont need a god hypothesis to see the beauty of it all.

What science claims, is that they have figured out enough facts to say the probability for their theories to be true is exponentially larger then a god hypothesis.

Mike...
I partly agree with you on the argument of imagining infinity (but I think if youre exposed to it long enough you can definitly get used to the id), but in this case it is subject of both the science and the religious theory so it doesnt really make a difference in this argument.
Or did you mean something else?

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Silver, I'm in the same boat.

Kevin has more or less made the assertion that religion is no longer valuable as a way for people to explain the universe because science has found the answers.

The argument I am trying to make is, anyone who believes that science has all the answers is foolish just as someone who believes that religion has all the answers is foolish.
Yeah, but even if that's what he's arguing, he's more than half right.

Science is working on the answers, and religion has none and actively lies.

It's not that religion is no longer valuable, it's been actively harmful for more than 2400 years.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sure you can join in on the conversation, but if you dont know both sides of the discussion your input doesnt really bring much to the table as if yould fully understand both sides does it?
At no point were we discussing the details or validity of M-theory or string theory or whatever they are calling it this year, so I don't see how reading all these books would influence our debate. I concede you have read more books on the subject.

Where I disagree with you is your basic premise that science has made religion obsolete (if this is not what you were trying to convey to Andy then I apologize for arguing in circles). There are many things which have not and will not be explained by science. For me it is easy to admit I don't know but I can see why some would seek answers from religion.

Yeah, but even if that's what he's arguing, he's more than half right.

Science is working on the answers, and religion has none and actively lies.

It's not that religion is no longer valuable, it's been actively harmful for more than 2400 years.
So we are weighing the merits of science v religion on how much harm each has done? Well it's a good thing that nothing bad has ever come from science or been done in the name of science.

Science may be new on the scene but its on the way to seriously screwing us over.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Why wouldnt there be any use?
Isnt that what people do on a forum?
Religion vs Science to me and lots of other people is a very interesting subject. It is of great influence on anyone in the world we live in.
Im only refering to the no "use point" because one party doesnt want to know the facts that are being discussed because it takes him too much effort.
If it takes so much effort to learn about what youre talking about, there really isnt any use in getting into the argument in the first place is there?

Glad people like you still have something usefull to contribute though. :D
No - there's plenty of *entertainment* in arguing on the internet.

Just no "use"...

Just sayin'.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
At no point were we discussing the details or validity of M-theory or string theory or whatever they are calling it this year, so I don't see how reading all these books would influence our debate. I concede you have read more books on the subject.

Where I disagree with you is your basic premise that science has made religion obsolete (if this is not what you were trying to convey to Andy then I apologize for arguing in circles). There are many things which have not and will not be explained by science. For me it is easy to admit I don't know but I can see why some would seek answers from religion.

So we are weighing the merits of science v religion on how much harm each has done? Well it's a good thing that nothing bad has ever come from science or been done in the name of science.

Science may be new on the scene but its on the way to seriously screwing us over.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

No, you're trying to say that since science doesn't have all the answers, religion isn't stupid. That's a non-sequitur.

What I'm saying is the usefulness of the two tools isn't comparable in any way, shape, or fashion...and that one of them is actively harmful if you want an understanding of the cosmos.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No, you're trying to say that since science doesn't have all the answers, religion isn't stupid. That's a non-sequitur.

What I'm saying is the usefulness of the two tools isn't comparable in any way, shape, or fashion...and that one of them is actively harmful if you want an understanding of the cosmos.
And this is why I like the universal approach of Buddhism where faith is either proven or not by science. If science explains it, then faith isn't needed, even if science proved the faith you held before to be wrong. If science hasn't proven it or hasn't been applied, then faith can be maintained for now.

Unlike other faiths that cling to their guns and religious books until death.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Well you did say several times that its an invalid theory all together. And that science doesnt give any hard anwsers.
This to me, is discussing the validity of string theory but I could be wrong.
Actually only two of those books I mentioned are about string theory, and I put them on that list because they contain a great deal about other interesting (at least to me) material.
M Theory indeed doesnt have any hard anwsers. They probably cant prove M Theory in our life time because they dont have the technology for it yet. However, the way that they have come to think of M Theory has been a way of scientific experiments that all point into a certain direction.
How they came about this stuff alone is very impressive and I cant say the same about religion.

Science has made religion obsolete.
The fact that Andy is still using it as a guide through life is cool with me, and he admits that its no more then that for him. But billions of people are living religion in a completely different way, a way that i think is retarted and out dated.
When I seek an anwser for something I take the anwser that is most probable and that has the best factual support.
Ill make my decisions in life based on what I can actually see or hear in stead of a couple of storybooks from when people thought the earth was flat and in the center of the universe...

Totally different story and totally not comparable...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
edit--

If your going to tell me to believe in organized religion your going to have to give me a better excuse than, just because, or you'll go to hell otherwise, or because the priest told me so.

Until then I will believe in myself and my ability to perceive my path as it unfolds before me on a daily basis. The answers of the universe can fall into the hat called 'doesn't fecking matter'. I mean really, to go about my daily life, do I even need those types of answers?

I think people rely on religion for affirmation that everything will be ok in the end. Otherwise the void of not knowing the future would weigh too heavily. It seems that people can't just accept the thought of not-knowing. They just HAVE to have an answer. Thats where religion comes in, to provide one. Some people have really made a load of cash off that need too. In fact I might have to go put a bucket over my head and come up with some divinely inspired words to begin my own church.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Because if you had any knowledge of "things scientific" you might start to see where "we" are coming from and why things can be explained without the need for a flying spaghetti monster.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What ever happened to RUFUS?
he lives in colorado now. cooking full time (i think) and switched from downhilling to cyclocross & road. i think he just lurks these days. he was last active yesterday, but hasn't posted more than a few times in the last couple of months