Quantcast

***Why Not Wednesday GMT***

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
First true cold morning of the season and it is only going to get colder for the next couple of days. Friday DH trip should be interesting with temps in the 18-24F range and 16-20MPH wind but it is the last opportunity get some laps down the mountain for the next 6 months. :cray:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I did not get to have any Pad Thai yesterday. I did manage to get in a bike ride, which was nice.

It is that time of year in Maine when I is dark at 430pm. Makes everything you want to do after work a night sport. I almost feel safer riding on the road at night with head and tail lights. Can't miss that huge blinking rear tail light.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hello! Weekly ride night, yay. Hopefully with less drama than last week. :rofl:

@RoboDonkey713 another benefit of the dark and chilly nights is that there is hardly anyone outside, too. There is a pretty sweet path (paved/gravel mix) linking together three towns that I ride the donkey cross bike on. Last night was beautiful, other than five drunk cougars sprawling across the path near the train station, there was no one out there.

Just need to keep an eye out for rabbits trying to commit suicide in my wheels...

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Hello! Weekly ride night, yay. Hopefully with less drama than last week. :rofl:

@RoboDonkey713 another benefit of the dark and chilly nights is that there is hardly anyone outside, too. There is a pretty sweet path (paved/gravel mix) linking together three towns that I ride the donkey cross bike on. Last night was beautiful, other than five drunk cougars sprawling across the path near the train station, there was no one out there.

Just need to keep an eye out for rabbits trying to commit suicide in my wheels...
I was riding on an improved gravel path last night in the city forest for some of my ride. There were no cars in in either parking lot, so I figured I wouldn't see anyone out there. About 1/2 way thru the loop, I see this lady with no lights, in the dark walking along. She scowled at me as I passed her. For the rest of my ride I was trying to rationalize the fact that she was a real human. Not a figment of my imagination or a ghost. Or was she.......

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

First real taste of Fall today...and when I say that, I mean it dipped below 50 degrees.

Last night was just a blur...and I wish it was from the drinking, but no. Just stuff and things, then sleep and here we are again.

Y'all go an be good humans to each other today.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Makes everything you want to do after work a night sport.
Still better than here where most of the night riding is illegal (and we get chased in the dark by rangers occasionally), and the few places where it is legal have NIMBY issues where locals call cops with fake stories ("they have a drinking party") - happened to us last night. Fuck small town cops.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

My question for self-debate this morning is, do I buy a steel hardtail to build? Or will I just not ride it? I know I know, n+1 and all, but do I really need it is the real question.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Waiting for my ride to show up so I can go to the Neurologist in Buffalo. I don't know what they are going to do to me so as I can't drive home? No deductible. No care.... Going to Cheektowoga for Lunch/Dinner...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I had a really good "meeting" yesterday that sounded promising. Followed by a limelight drive that was damn near amazing. No traffic, just enough light for visibility, then coming down Rocky Point with downtown lit up, its pretty awesome. If I go through there in the daytime, it makes me teh sad because they have clear cut the shat out of it the last few months.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Still better than here where most of the night riding is illegal (and we get chased in the dark by rangers occasionally), and the few places where it is legal have NIMBY issues where locals call cops with fake stories ("they have a drinking party") - happened to us last night. Fuck small town cops.
Where does this happen to you?
I've never had an issue riding at night anywhere.
If you're riding in a large group, that's likely your problem as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm dropping off the elder kid at school in the second electric car, then popping back home to rip more Blu-Rays (setting up a flash drive that'll feed the minivan's rear seat screens with kid-friendly movies for ski trips).

Then off to work via bike for noon meeting, get some work done in my office in the afternoon, work an optional 5-10 PM shift for the big dollah, then ride home in the peaceful, cold darkness.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mornin!

My question for self-debate this morning is, do I buy a steel hardtail to build? Or will I just not ride it? I know I know, n+1 and all, but do I really need it is the real question.
How many times do you get to ride a month?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mornin!

My crappy little rigid DJ was $250 and I love it. I might actually ride it more than the big bike with the dog and the neighborhood kids. I wish I still had my BlkMrkt with dual disc brakes and DJ3 fork, but this little bastard is really fun. I wish I could catch air, but I am gravity challenged.

I have decided I will try at least on BMX race next year, though. I would at least be funny.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Oh hey there! I'm on week 2 of subbing and loving it. It was weird how much it felt like where I needed to be from day one--no matter what school! Today I'm at my kiddo's school, so I'm excited to observe and see how things really go there. I won't be seeing him, as I'm doing Kindergarten and he's in 5th grade, but sometimes I get recess duty, so we shall see!

Rode my bike in the woods last night, and heading up to ride with the bro and sis in law this weekend for 3 days! Buffalo and bro were talking about some shuttling... it got me real excited... I sure hope we can make it work!!!

All good things :weee:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was riding on an improved gravel path last night in the city forest for some of my ride. There were no cars in in either parking lot, so I figured I wouldn't see anyone out there. About 1/2 way thru the loop, I see this lady with no lights, in the dark walking along. She scowled at me as I passed her. For the rest of my ride I was trying to rationalize the fact that she was a real human. Not a figment of my imagination or a ghost. Or was she.......
Maybe it was a golum... Funny how that works, someone in the dark, no lights or anything but you're in the wrong on your bike with lights and whatnot. :rofl:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Where does this happen to you?
I've never had an issue riding at night anywhere.
If you're riding in a large group, that's likely your problem as well.
Rangers patrolling, chasing and ticketing (solo) night riders - Fells.
Cops were called on us in Lexigton where we rode LLF (legally, with permission to park from the school).

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A terribly pathetic amount at the moment. I was thinking it might be a good bike to take with us on the road so high value Yeti #2 doesn't get stolen.
I wonder how much of a theft deterrent a big "GPS Tracker Installed" sticker on a bike would be?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
That is lame. Gets dark so early this time of year. I would ignore that rule as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is lame. Gets dark so early this time of year. I would ignore that rule as well.
around me in PA most riding is on state land, which prevents night riding (ie park closes at dusk). however some park managers have allowed in general, or have coordinated special night riding events w/ the trail maintenance organizers to see what night riding is all about. there's one spot that has done this a few times now, the general speculation is that they are considering having a few set night riding events per year.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Luckily around here we have non of this "ranger" nonsense. We just ride when we want to and drink beer where we want to. Even if a park/forest is closed people still ride or hike, there'd be no one to tell you otherwise and no one is going to call the cops unless you do something dumb like start a fire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Luckily around here we have non of this "ranger" nonsense. We just ride when we want to and drink beer where we want to. Even if a park/forest is closed people still ride or hike, there'd be no one to tell you otherwise and no one is going to call the cops unless you do something dumb like start a fire.
i should move to canada.