Quantcast

>>> Windy Monderp gmt<<<

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
you were a prime candidate for an uzzi...as long as you got one that was somewhat aligned...or an sx trail
A buddy of mine had an Uzzi SLX in silver I always thought was really sweet....no idea what he did with it.

I only mentioned the Highline specifically because around that time frame I had a Burner, RFX and DHR and loved all of them. To this day, the RFX I had was the most fun bike I've ever owned....until maybe the 5.spot I have now.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have a buddy with an old AS-X that just won't die. We ran the math on him getting a new bike vs. upgrading his bike to modern, and the math was to the side of upgrading. Put on a 36 (top model), tubeless wheelset, dropper post, avalanche rebuilt shock, new drivetrain ex-cranks, etc. Weighs right around 33#, rides awesome for him, and just won't fucking die.

If what you have works and isn't holding you back - ride it.
I have a really friggin sweet 575 that could pass for new I got/built for my wife a couple years ago that collects dust. Unfortunately, it's probably worth more as a dust collector than it is to sell it these days.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
A buddy of mine had an Uzzi SLX in silver I always thought was really sweet....no idea what he did with it.

I only mentioned the Highline specifically because around that time frame I had a Burner, RFX and DHR and loved all of them. To this day, the RFX I had was the most fun bike I've ever owned....until maybe the 5.spot I have now.
couple peeps here had rfx/highlines and loved em. i went with an uzzi vp for my "do it all" bike for 7-8 years and was very happy with it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
couple peeps here had rfx/highlines and loved em. i went with an uzzi vp for my "do it all" bike for 7-8 years and was very happy with it.
No issues with the Highlines failing? Forget what exactly the issue was, but I remember at least a couple guys here breaking their frames....one more than once.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
No issues with the Highlines failing? Forget what exactly the issue was, but I remember at least a couple guys here breaking their frames....one more than once.
pretty sure it was @vinnycactus who had one and even that masshole didn't break it (he broke everything else though, except for his sinister f-bomb, which he sold before he could break...). in fact, i think may have been passed on as a community build bike for a guy who needed it back in the day...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have a really friggin sweet 575 that could pass for new I got/built for my wife a couple years ago that collects dust. Unfortunately, it's probably worth more as a dust collector than it is to sell it these days.
I loved my final generation 575. Unfortunately I got sold on the SB, which was worth it, don't get me wrong. That bike was a shit ton of fun, but too far on the XC of things for me at the time. The inability to put a large enough brake was an issue. Realistically, it would be a killer bike for me now I don't need an enduro bike that is near identical to my DH bike's geometry.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had an Uzzi SLX. 6" Super T up front.

In that pre-dropper era a short, tall bike like that was crap except for dropping off the rox of Lynn Woods, and it wasn't much good at that, really. I guess it also was fun at the wallride at Government Center.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I had a Highline, I don't recall there being a particular issue with them. Slightly better running in 7" travel mode versus longer shocked to 8" is the only chatter I remember about them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I had a Highline, I don't recall there being a particular issue with them. Slightly better running in 7" travel mode versus longer shocked to 8" is the only chatter I remember about them.
After some googling, appears there were issues with the chainstays in one of the earlier runs. A lot needed replacing, which is what I remember hearing.