Quantcast

world cup

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MMcG said:
Does anyone know why Zidane headbutted that guy?
Verbal argument. I'm not sure if what was said was actually published anywhere, but they were exchanging words, then Zidane started walking back towards him, then boom.

fluff, I don't believe that if a tall, athletic guy walked up to you with some forward momentum, and headbutted you in the chest with that much force and with no warning, that you'd still be standing afterwards. Unless you outweigh the guy by a 50+ lbs., but I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Soccer players are just as childish possibly more so than our asshat football and baseball players. There is very little professionalism in pro sports.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Westy said:
Soccer players are just as childish possibly more so than our asshat football and baseball players. There is very little professionalism in pro sports.
Oh there's plenty of professionalism mate, too much even. It's sportsmanship that's in precious little supply.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
binary visions said:
Verbal argument. I'm not sure if what was said was actually published anywhere, but they were exchanging words, then Zidane started walking back towards him, then boom.

fluff, I don't believe that if a tall, athletic guy walked up to you with some forward momentum, and headbutted you in the chest with that much force and with no warning, that you'd still be standing afterwards. Unless you outweigh the guy by a 50+ lbs., but I don't think that's a fair comparison.
Well, I've been kicked in the chest by Karate black belts and not fallen over, and I was only 5'8'' and 130lbs at the time (still only 5'8'' but rather around 40lbs heavier now). He could have stayed on his feet if he'd wanted to but given that footballers fall over if you so much as look at them in any meaningful way it's not likely that he tried.

You're a smart cookie, try and work out how fast Zidane was moving, take a guess at his weight and work out the force involved, not a lot more than a push.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I really loved watching Zidane play during the WC - he was magical with the ball and the way he controlled the pace of the game.

It sucked to see that headbutt - what was he thinking. With that much experience you'd think he could have controlled his emotions. Oh well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
fluff said:
You're a smart cookie, try and work out how fast Zidane was moving, take a guess at his weight and work out the force involved, not a lot more than a push.
You've gotten kicked when you were braced and ready for it.

I'm not looking at force and vector diagrams here; a headbutt is a lot more unexpected than a push (since you see the movement of bringing up the arms), and when you suprise someone like that, they're very inclined to fall down. Think about how ridiculously easy it is to trip someone who's completely unaware that it's about to happen.

A little momentum and a little suprise goes a long way.

I agree that these guys fall over when you glance sideways at them, but I'm just suggesting that this was not an unreasonable time to fall down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It seems that one reporter had one of those dish microphones pointed at them. They were arguing over who was the biggest cheese eating surrender monkey.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
binary visions said:
You've gotten kicked when you were braced and ready for it.

I'm not looking at force and vector diagrams here; a headbutt is a lot more unexpected than a push (since you see the movement of bringing up the arms), and when you suprise someone like that, they're very inclined to fall down. Think about how ridiculously easy it is to trip someone who's completely unaware that it's about to happen.

A little momentum and a little suprise goes a long way.

I agree that these guys fall over when you glance sideways at them, but I'm just suggesting that this was not an unreasonable time to fall down.
And I've gotten kicked when I wasn't expecting it, but I was able to step backwards once or twice - just look at how he falls, his feet come way up and his upper body goes straight down, with his arm out already to soften the fall. And oddly enough he stayed down only long enough to ensure that Zidane was dismissed and was able to continue.

Zidane took only one step forward, he didn't run at the guy.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
fluff said:
And I've gotten kicked when I wasn't expecting it, but I was able to step backwards once or twice - just look at how he falls, his feet come way up and his upper body goes straight down, with his arm out already to soften the fall. And oddly enough he stayed down only long enough to ensure that Zidane was dismissed and was able to continue.

No no no. Look, He CLEARLY glows, then zooms over to hit him. See:

That being said, if someone hits you in soccer, you are supposed to take the fall so that the aggressor gets carded. It’s not exactly a 'tough' thing to do, but it’s not exactly supposed to be a 'tough' game. Even still, I’m sure it surprised him.

That being said, it’s a shame ZZ went out like this. Now not only do I have a Juve jersey that only gets riding use, but I now have a Juve jersey that has ZZ on it. I really liked the guy but come on, that level of aggression is better left to the Irish or unpleasant basketball players.

So, in the end I’m ecstatic that the Azzuri took it this year. They deserved it and played the game they needed to in order to win. 2 goals allowed total, both nothing special shows that defense is key to a solid international effort. I may be the only one here who thinks this but “FORZA ITALIA!”

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
fluff said:

not to mention these guys have been running around for almost 2 hours, and just got finished sprinting. of course hell be easily taken off balance

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
atrokz said:
No no no. Look, He CLEARLY glows, then zooms over to hit him. See:

That being said, if someone hits you in soccer, you are supposed to take the fall so that the aggressor gets carded. It’s not exactly a 'tough' thing to do, but it’s not exactly supposed to be a 'tough' game. Even still, I’m sure it surprised him.

That being said, it’s a shame ZZ went out like this. Now not only do I have a Juve jersey that only gets riding use, but I now have a Juve jersey that has ZZ on it. I really liked the guy but come on, that level of aggression is better left to the Irish or unpleasant basketball players.

So, in the end I’m ecstatic that the Azzuri took it this year. They deserved it and played the game they needed to in order to win. 2 goals allowed total, both nothing special shows that defense is key to a solid international effort. I may be the only one here who thinks this but “FORZA ITALIA!”
lol - I guess that explains Zidane's "other-worldly" footballing skills, he's an alien.

It is sad that that will be his last act as a professional footballer. Apparently the Italian player said something about Zidane's mother.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Anders said:
not to mention these guys have been running around for almost 2 hours, and just got finished sprinting. of course hell be easily taken off balance
Have you ever played football against a professional? They are not easy to knock off balance. Unless they want to be knocked off balance.

To be a professional footballer (let alone an International one) takes excellent balance. If you can be knocked over easily you'll never make it.

Of course once they get to the top level they have to practice falling over.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
fluff said:
Apparently the Italian player said something about Zidane's mother.
If that's the case, knowing he was done playing anyway, he did well to go ahead and teach the little primadonna a lesson.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
fluff said:
Have you ever played football against a professional? They are not easy to knock off balance. Unless they want to be knocked off balance.

To be a professional footballer (let alone an International one) takes excellent balance. If you can be knocked over easily you'll never make it.

especially if they plan on playing for italy. ya wanna talk about balance and overall coordination...check out ronaldinho.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1483670761495213547&q=ronaldinho

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
fluff said:

:stupid: Anyone who thinks that professional soccer players at this level aren't tough is deluding themselves. Acting like a pussy (which most of them do) and actually being a pussy are 2 different things.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Mani_UT said:
If that's the case, knowing he was done playing anyway, he did well to go ahead and teach the little primadonna a lesson.
Well, maybe but that kind of stuff goes in all the time in football (and many other sports). The whole idea is to throw your opponent off their game or provoke them into exactly the kind of action that Zidane did. It would have been better to have stayed on, scored a goal and then flatten the guy in the tunnel after the match.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Zidane Wins World Cup's Best Player Award
Jul 10 8:58 AM US/Eastern
By JOHN PYE
AP Sports Writer

BERLIN

France captain Zinedine Zidane, sent off for headbutting Marco Materazzi late in Sunday's World Cup final loss to Italy, won the Golden Ball award for the tournament's best player.

The results were released Monday morning in Berlin by FIFA.

Zidane polled 2012 points in the vote by journalists covering the tournament, beating Italians Fabio Cannavaro (1977 points) and Andrea Pirlo (715 points) in the ballot.

Zidane, who put France ahead with a penalty kick in the opening minutes, was given a red card after slamming his head into Materazzi's chest during the tense second period of extra time.

It was his last act as a professional player and one that was widely criticized in France and abroad.

With the score locked 1-1 after 120 minutes the French missed Zidane's prowess in the penalty shootout, which Italy calmly won 5-3 to collect its fourth World Cup title.

Zidane, 34, a former international player of the year and 1998 World Cup champion, announced last month that he was retiring from soccer after the tournament.

He wasn't particularly outstanding in France's opening draws with Switzerland and South Korea and missed the last group match against Togo due to suspension. But Zidane produced some vintage performances in the wins over Spain, Brazil and Portugal in the knockout phase.

Voting for the 2006 Golden Ball closed at midnight Sunday. In previous tournaments, the ballot has closed at halftime in the final and the winner announced soon after the match.

Italy captain Cannavaro could be considered unlucky in the voting.

He led an Italian defense that conceded only two goals in the tournament: an own-goal against the United States and Zidane's penalty.

The final was his 100th cap for Italy.

"I got my award, that's it right there," Cannavaro said, gesturing toward the World Cup trophy sitting on the table in front of him. "I'm extremely pleased with what I have."

With fellow central defender Alessandro Nesta injured, Cannavaro played every minute of Italy's seven games.

Many pundits tipped Cannavaro as the winner, including 1986 winner Diego Maradona.

"Fabio Cannavaro was the best player of this World Cup," the Argentine great said. "Yes, it was a tournament without one dominant player, but Fabio was huge."

Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn won the Golden Ball in 2002. Other previous winners were Brazilians Ronaldo (1998) and Romario ('94) and Italy's Salvatore Schillaci ('90).

Germany striker Miroslav Klose was the Golden Shoe winner for the tournament's leading scorer. He won with five goals. Ronaldo won the award in 2002 with eight goals.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
fluff said:

it doesnt matter what sport ur playing. when u get tired u loose balance and coordination. if u had watched the game u would have seen a lot of sloppy plays at the end (from proffesionals :oink: ) knocking someone over while fighting for a ball is one thing. getting headbutted while walking back after making a sprint across half the field and tackling someone is another :rolleyes:

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Anders said:
it doesnt matter what sport ur playing. when u get tired u loose balance and coordination. if u had watched the game u would have seen a lot of sloppy plays at the end (from proffesionals :oink: ) knocking someone over while fighting for a ball is one thing. getting headbutted while walking back after making a sprint across half the field and tackling someone is another :rolleyes:
They'd been standing around on the edge of the box, not sprinting and tackling. You are talking about the World Cup final yes?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Anders said:
hmm, how did he get there? did he walk?
Very good. The point is that he had not just "sprinted and tackled". He was clearly not even out of breath as he was able to insult Zidane easily enough. That he would drop like a sack of potatoes is without doubt, Zidane need only have pretended to have butted him and he'd have dropped in exactly the same fashion. Do I believe he was hurt? No. Do I believe he could not have remained on his feet? No. That he had been playing for 110 mins makes no difference to either of those, just like it didn't stop him scoring a penalty.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
fluff said:
Very good. The point is that he had not just "sprinted and tackled". He was clearly not even out of breath as he was able to insult Zidane easily enough. That he would drop like a sack of potatoes is without doubt, Zidane need only have pretended to have butted him and he'd have dropped in exactly the same fashion. Do I believe he was hurt? No. Do I believe he could not have remained on his feet? No. That he had been playing for 110 mins makes no difference to either of those, just like it didn't stop him scoring a penalty.
all of which is completely and totally irrelevant......

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Its the World Cup, I hold nothing against Zidane. He was a pleasure to watch, and I'll take his straight up action and honorable send off to Ronaldo of Portugal's hellacious flopping throughout the ENTIRE semi final. I normally despise any and all that is French but even the best sometimes lose it. As for Thierry Henry, he is a bad-ass, I wish we would have seen more of him.

It was a pretty dissapointing final from all parts.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
yah i was pretty bummed right off from the start. seeing that dive in the penalty box so early in the game, and the pk for a goal, made me hope france lost (i was rooting for them to win). i know that diving happens all the time, it just seemed weak that it was happening right off the bat. oh well...cant wait to see all the zidane remixes to come out :)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Zidane is a talented competitor with a bad anger management problem. Let's not forget this is the THIRD TIME Zidane has headbutted an opponent during match play. Yes, it was his only headbutt of this particular World Cup, but he has done the same thing now several times and has shown no capacity to learn from his mistakes. He's like the Kenny Rogers of European Football!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That was a nasty blow. To take a head shot from a dude who an score from 20 yards out with the same head would hurt like hell. To be hit mid-chest when you have no idea it's on it's way would make it 10x worse. Had he not done it and gotten the red, I think France would have won the PK, karma is a bitch.

That being said, I though the final overall was very good. The Italian keep made some great saves and was the hero for his team. Also, I liked the lack of calls for the most part and let the floppers flop without a response. I would have rather seen a clear cut winner because PK's are so unfair from a GK point of view (too many years in the box myself, but it's what I do).

After the cheap shot, I was glad to see Italy win. They busted ass all series, even if they can be little bitches sometimes. :D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Other sources say that Materazzi called Zidane a "son of a terrorist whore" and told him to **** off.

It appears that lip-readers cannot agree on much either.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I heard he said the Zed flops like a girl. That was enough to send him over the edge. That or "wow, did you shower? You smell fresh..." That will piss of any French player.