Quantcast

world cup

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I like the 5 or 10 minute idea. If you don't pop up and stay on the field, take some time off or sub.

This has been the most boring World Cup I can remember. Is there any chance we can get Collina out of retirement to do the semifinals and finals?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Brazil and Ghana actually did a good job of playing soccer yesterday, and when someone actually took a dive the refs did a good job of calling it. Well at least for the 20 minutes I saw.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
fluff said:
Hmm but did you see Thierry Henry trying to get the Spanish guy sent off?
That was soooo lame. This guys needs to be out him and his huge ego.
On another hand I was stocked to see France win the game seeing how much **** the spanish talked before the game (not to mention their semi-fascist coach).

anyway, I think France Brazil could be great. Only to be topped by France Germany !

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
World Cup Scores Only Small Audience
Only 6% Following Tournament Very Closely
June 23, 2006

Despite a high level of media coverage for the World Cup soccer tournament, three-fourths of Americans (78%) are not following the action very closely if at all. A Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults found that just 6% are following the tournament very closely.

Nine percent (9%) of men are paying close attention along with 3% of women.

The Super Bowl remains the biggest sport championship in terms of fan appeal. Thirty-five percent (35%) of Americans say it’s their favorite championship to watch. The World Series is the only other championship to reach double digits—12% of adults say it’s their favorite.

One-fourth of all Americans (25%) say they don’t want any sports championships.

Despite the general lack of interest in the World Cup by the US audience, the soccer tournament is more popular than the NBA basketball championship and the NHL’s Stanley Cup hockey title. Both of those events were being held at the same time as the World Cup.

Fourteen percent (14%) of Americans say they played soccer in an organized league at some point in their life.

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Americans believe there is a professional soccer league in the United States (and they’re right).

The survey was conducted before the U.S. soccer team was eliminated. However, few were surprised by the lack of success--just 5% of the nation’s adults thought it was very likely the U.S. team would win the tournament.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
N8 said:
World Cup Scores Only Small Audience
Only 6% Following Tournament Very Closely
June 23, 2006

Despite a high level of media coverage for the World Cup soccer tournament, three-fourths of Americans (78%) are not following the action very closely if at all. A Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults found that just 6% are following the tournament very closely.

Nine percent (9%) of men are paying close attention along with 3% of women.

The Super Bowl remains the biggest sport championship in terms of fan appeal. Thirty-five percent (35%) of Americans say it’s their favorite championship to watch. The World Series is the only other championship to reach double digits—12% of adults say it’s their favorite.

One-fourth of all Americans (25%) say they don’t want any sports championships.

Despite the general lack of interest in the World Cup by the US audience, the soccer tournament is more popular than the NBA basketball championship and the NHL’s Stanley Cup hockey title. Both of those events were being held at the same time as the World Cup.

Fourteen percent (14%) of Americans say they played soccer in an organized league at some point in their life.

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Americans believe there is a professional soccer league in the United States (and they’re right).

The survey was conducted before the U.S. soccer team was eliminated. However, few were surprised by the lack of success--just 5% of the nation’s adults thought it was very likely the U.S. team would win the tournament.
I can say I'd much rather watch the World Cup than the Superbowl or any other sporting championship that's shown here in the States.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
28 June 2006
BEER WE GO
Germans fear weii going to drink them dry
By Jeremy Armstrong

ENGLAND's massive army of World Cup fans is drinking Germany dry, it emerged yesterday.

Breweries warned beer could run out before the final because of huge demand from our supporters.

In Nuremberg, organisers revealed 70,000 England fans who flooded the city drank 1.2MILLION pints of beer - an average of 17 pints each.

Astonished bar keeper Herrmann Murr said: "Never have I seen so many drink so much in such little time."

His bar at a fans' tent in the city ran out after they drained all 32 of his 50-litre (11 gallon) barrels.

Herr Murr calculated Britons were shifting beer at a staggering rate of 200 pints per minute.

City official Peter Murrmann said: "The English proved themselves world champs. They practically drank us dry."

In Cologne, where England drew with Sweden, bottles and barrels of the local K?lsch beer ran out because so many English took them to campsites and parties.

Stuttgart bar chiefs said an extra 900,000 pints were sunk last weekend where 60,000 fans partied before and after our 1-0 win over Ecuador.

The Veltins brewery also revealed it has produced a record 418,000 gallons in a bid to keep up with demand.

A spokesman said: "It is incredible how much is being drunk but the hardest thing for the breweries is keeping up with the thirst of the English."

In Dortmund, where most fans for England's Gelsenkirchen clash against Portugal on Saturday are staying, the giant DAB brewery is bracing itself by ferrying in extra supplies to boost production.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
valve bouncer said:
Yeah it was a bit dodgy but the big teams tend to get the 50/50 calls their way. The Aussies had their chances especially when the Italians were with 10 men but they just lacked that element of class to put the game away. Well done to Italy and well done the Socceroos.

Yep that ref dealt the Aussies (more of an australian, croatian combined team really) a bit of an underarm bowl of a descision..... Bugger! :nopity:

Just kiddin VB, partsy and others.... I was actually hoping for you guys to win. :o(

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Any particular reason your upset?

Maybe talking about your fave show (big brother) will help calm you down. :)
So tell me what happened on the latest episode...........

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
DaveW said:
Any particular reason your upset?

Maybe talking about your fave show (big brother) will help calm you down. :)
So tell me what happened on the latest episode...........
hey, he s the only gay in the village, give him a break

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
valve bouncer said:
Yeah it was a bit dodgy but the big teams tend to get the 50/50 calls their way. The Aussies had their chances especially when the Italians were with 10 men but they just lacked that element of class to put the game away. Well done to Italy and well done the Socceroos.
plus i think they must be giving back to italy.
after what happened in 2002 with south korea and croatia i think... :oink:

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Probably old news, but in case you want to catch the game it's being broadcast live on espn online. Go here - http://espn.go.com/ and look for the red button on the right side of the page that says "Watch World Cup Live" (duh).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Badmunkey said:
Probably old news, but in case you want to catch the game it's being broadcast live on espn online. Go here - http://espn.go.com/ and look for the red button on the right side of the page that says "Watch World Cup Live" (duh).
US only:mumble: , was hoping to get some English commentary.
0-0 half time. At long bloody last a ref puts the whistle in the pocket and as if by magic the theatrics disappear and they play football. About time.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
that yellow card to rodriguez was a penalty for argentina!!!!!!!
if the ref ringed a penalty in berlin, with 3 minutes to go... it would have been a riot...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
can't watch.
OT is too intense I'll end up yelling something while i'm supposed to be working.

sad i know. :(

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
at least i can breath again.

can't wait to check out the tivo tonight.

Who's going with who second match?

I'm picking Ukraine.

Italy is a disgrace to football with all the whining, bad acting and bribes.
Aussies played a hell of a cup and should of gone on.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DVNT said:
at least i can breath again.

can't wait to check out the tivo tonight.

Who's going with who second match?

I'm picking Ukraine.

Italy is a disgrace to football with all the whining, bad acting and bribes.
Aussies played a hell of a cup and should of gone on.
I'm goin' for the Unkraniums as well- country motto- "we might be f*cked but at least we're not Russia"