Quantcast

Yeti 303 DH LIVES!!!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Are the rails interchangable with the rail in, say a kitchen drawer? :D

That design is so different I'm speachless.

Funky Monk

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
near El circulo Polar Arctico
Kornphlake said:
Lots of pivot points though:(
agreed, there's at least ONE..hate to say this, but it looks flexy :) Somehow looks very functional and the drool-factor is definately there, seems like I'm going have to be on a noodle diet for some time.

I really can't decide what frame to get...oh well.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Full Trucker said:
Not a Lawill. At all. Axle path is kind of like J, sort of like a VPP would be. Has a rearward arching axlepath for the first 75% of it's travel, then archs forward for the final 25%. All with NO PIVOTS. None. Sip. Zero. Gazeebo. Notta. It's sick.

NO PIVOTS!!!

WOW!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Damn True said:
LOL, you can tell that from a drawing?
I love net engineering.
yes, drawings are very good communication tools, as are using numbers to count things. In fact, as crazy as this sounds, i give drawings to machinists to make parts i need, or to present stuff to people to explain things. Also, sometimes i like to count things, like '1, 2, 4, 5'....sometimes it helps me know the number of stuff, or i do it on the bus randomly to freak people out (lets play screaming numbers....five! thirteen! twenty-eight!! fifty-nine!!!!!!)

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey guys
there is a new post showing the bike in 1/2 travel.
sorry for the new post but trying to find a pic 7 pages in...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
peter6061 said:
This help anyone? ---->'animation'

btw, I am very surprised Yeti released this info before the bike has even been tested.?????

cool gif

what is wrong with pvots again?

i like it, but why.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
notice how the shock doesn't pivot AT ALL as it is compressed. :love:
The bike does still have a rising rate since the shaft speed increases due to the swingarm articulation.
Should help on seal life if nothing else.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
James | Go-Ride said:
What makes you think it hasn't been being tested all summer by a bunch of really, really fast guys from all over the globe?
What like a group of riders "sponsored" by one of the oldest supporters of top level mountain bike racing in the world with some sort of "team"?

Now that's just crazy talk.

Everybody knows that if a prototype existed, violent volante would already have one. :rolleyes: :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Damn True said:
If the lower slider travels up and forward, and the upper slider travels up and forward how is it that the axle path is "rearward" if the entire swingarm is moving up and forward?
You asking a question like this after stating that I couldn't tell if the suspension would be progressive from a drawing :angry:

The entire swing arm moves mostly forward initially then mostly upward and finally slightly rearward is my guess too though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Damn True said:
If the lower slider travels up and forward, and the upper slider travels up and forward how is it that the axle path is "rearward" if the entire swingarm is moving up and forward?
My guess is that it acts like a single pivot bike initially, with the lower PIVOT being higher than the axle.......it moves up and away, sliding primarily if not exclusively on the top track first.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Damn True said:
Look at Peter6061's .gif, it moves backwards.

Basically, the TWO rails act in concert, which means that the swingarm isn't so much sliding up and forward, as it is mimicking a virtual pivot -- which appears to be located somewhat high, so it essentially does what a high-pivot does -- move back, then forward. Only much 'different' I guess.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Peter6061, thanks for the animation!!!!!!

That really puts things into perspective. You can actually see how the suspension rate/curve changes and would change more in the last 3" of travel.

Not that I don't wish to give go-ride business, but I am good friends with the owner of a local shop and I just called and confirmed with him that I want one :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn True said:
Read this.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Kornphlake said:
You asking a question like this after stating that I couldn't tell if the suspension would be progressive from a drawing :angry:
Well, you cant.
The entire swing arm moves mostly forward initially then mostly upward and finally slightly rearward is my guess too though.
Which dosen't sound like a rearward axle path and dosen't seem to reflect what Yeti is saying which profoundly illustrates my point that NONE of us is able to tell what or how this thing will perform by looking at a drawing.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
peter6061 said:
This help anyone? ---->'animation'

btw, I am very surprised Yeti released this info before the bike has even been tested.?????
Cool...the derailleur hanger disappears when it goes through it's travel!! Redefinition of "Ghost shifting" ;)

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Damn True said:
Which dosen't sound like a rearward axle path and dosen't seem to reflect what Yeti is saying which profoundly illustrates my point that NONE of us is able to tell what or how this thing will perform by looking at a drawing.
Actually you can tell if a bike will be progressive based on a drawing, it's not very difficult (although with this particular bike, I do think having an engineering background would help a bit). With a regular bike, it's pretty easy to tell whether or not the bike is going to be progressive, whatever link / member drives the shock will give it away pretty easily. If the link that pushes the shock starts at an acute angle to the shock, and the shock bottoms at or before 90' to the link, that's a pretty good indicator that the bike will be progressive.

However, with this bike, you don't really have that rule-of-thumb guideline to figure it out. Like Krispy mentioned, it has to do with shaft speed which is less determinable without a workign prototype to the untrained mind.