Quantcast

Yeti 303 DH LIVES!!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Threepointtwo said:
All of this discussion of the problems with exposed sliding surfaces is interesting and could be a problem. Your fork faces a similar situation and avoids damage with a simple wiper. I wonder if they have something similar in mind?

It is much, much easier to make a really good round seal than it is to make any other shape. Hence why we have never seen square stancioned forks. Think how ridged you could make a fork if it were square or a hex. The only problem is, you can't seal it!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
buildyourown said:
It is much, much easier to make a really good round seal than it is to make any other shape. Hence why we have never seen square stancioned forks. Think how ridged you could make a fork if it were square or a hex. The only problem is, you can't seal it!
What about the Lefty? You think those are round? ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
buildyourown said:
Cannondale has the square stanctions, they use a booty...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just because one company offers a fork with square stanctions doesn't mean that square seals are easy or inexpensive to produce...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
binary visions said:
Just because one company offers a fork with square stanctions doesn't mean that square seals are easy or inexpensive to produce...
There are no square 'seals' on the lefty or any headshok fork. They roll on needle bearings and use the 'booty' to keep the dust and grime out as stated previously by syadasti.

This has been an entertaining discussion to follow.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I konw for a fact that Lizard Skins is allready making a neoprene boot for the rail.Also the Lefty booty fits too.We are making Lexan side covers that inclose the whole area too.They will be available in clear or smoked chrome.Yeti is also making a pressurized water bottle that constantly sprays winshield washer fluid onto the rails.Every time the shock compresses it pushes on a pump that energizes the waterbottle.So the more puddles you go through the more it squirts.Problem is Shimano is suing them over the water bottle idea because it infringes on the patent they have for the Airlines shifting system since it is a pressurized bottle mounted to a bicycle.tHIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! :stupid:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
leprechaun said:
I konw for a fact that Lizard Skins is allready making a neoprene boot for the rail.Also the Lefty booty fits too.We are making Lexan side covers that inclose the whole area too.They will be available in clear or smoked chrome.Yeti is also making a pressurized water bottle that constantly sprays winshield washer fluid onto the rails.Every time the shock compresses it pushes on a pump that energizes the waterbottle.So the more puddles you go through the more it squirts.Problem is Shimano is suing them over the water bottle idea because it infringes on the patent they have for the Airlines shifting system since it is a pressurized bottle mounted to a bicycle.tHIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!LISTEN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! :stupid:
How much for the smoked chrome?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instigator
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
leprechaun said:
Thus proving that the rails really are sensitive to grit. Makes you think about what would happen if the neoprene boot/water bottle/lexan covers system fails :think:

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
ioscope said:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

Pics?

Pics?
Umm . . . I think some of the board members have overlooked Krispy's sense of humor.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
JAB said:
Thus proving that the rails really are sensitive to grit. Makes you think about what would happen if the neoprene boot/water bottle/lexan covers system fails :think:
The "works" version will have tiny midgets with polishing rags mounted on the rails to keep the system clean, with several spares mounted on the monocoque top tube for when one or two of them moves too slow and gets decapitated by the linkage...

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
The "works" version will have tiny midgets with polishing rags mounted on the rails to keep the system clean, with several spares mounted on the monocoque top tube for when one or two of them moves too slow and gets decapitated by the linkage...
Will the midgets be speed sensitive? Will they have speed holes to cut down on wind resistance? Wouldn't pixies be more effective?

Can someone please make a cad drawing of said midgets or pixies as the rear end moves through the travel.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
binary visions said:
Oh, oh there is a rumor on Pinkbike that there will be a collaboration between Yeti and Sony: Sony will be making a minityrized version of their household robot that attaches to the frame and cleans the rails using a mixture of air plane fuel and heavy water.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
JAB said:
Oh, oh there is a rumor on Pinkbike that there will be a collaboration between Yeti and Sony: Sony will be making a minityrized version of their household robot that attaches to the frame and cleans the rails using a mixture of air plane fuel and heavy water.
Like Aibo? COOOOOOOOOL!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Fury said:
Will the midgets be speed sensitive? Will they have speed holes to cut down on wind resistance? Wouldn't pixies be more effective?
The midgets will have a special Ti-Ni coating that will drastically decrease their wind resistance.

The pixies would have been more effective but their union was demanding health benefits, and the health insurance companies kept complaining that the Ti-Ni coating was poisonous, and the coating process was often fatal.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
binary visions said:
The midgets will have a special Ti-Ni coating that will drastically decrease their wind resistance.

The pixies would have been more effective but their union was demanding health benefits, and the health insurance companies kept complaining that the Ti-Ni coating was poisonous, and the coating process was often fatal.
Damn suits :angry:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
personally i would of used nanomites which would reconfigure the atomic configuation of the rear stays to accomadate any required rear axle movement. The downside is the nanos use cat urine as an energy source.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
zedro said:
The downside is the nanos use cat urine as an energy source.
I have a solution for that, if you don't mind hanging 20 more lbs from your top tube and bringing some extra beer along on the ride...

Attachments

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
MikeD said:
I have a solution for that, if you don't mind hanging 20 more lbs from your top tube and bringing some extra beer along on the ride...
That is by far the coolest cat I've seen.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
zedro said:
it is obvious that MikeD has most likely removed the cats spine to make it behave better.
So i just need to remove the animals spine for it to look like that. I'll try it on my dog tonight :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
MikeD said:
<insert Jabba the Hut laugh here>

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Zark said:
<insert Jabba the Hut laugh here>
Don't do that. George Lucas will end up digitally remastering my cat.

And if he gives him his spine back, well, I'll be in a world of crap.

MD