Quantcast

zee vs guide rsc

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
I want to buy a set of new brakes for dh use.
Zee's seem to be amazing from a lot of reviews i read.
I found, for just 90$ more, a pair of the new 2017 guide rsc with the S4 caliper.

What would you buy?
I am really tempted for the guides, but i am a bit concerned of the issues that read in multiple forums.

Cheers!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I switched from zees to guide rsc's, couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

My zees were inconsistent junk.

My rsc's have great power, great modulation and are incredibly consistent.

My wife also runs and likes the guide rsc.

For the record the zees have been the only problematic brake for me thru the years, I still use them on my fatbike for snow riding where I don't really "need" brakes.

I have shimano slx on trail bike which have been free of any of the issues my zees had.

Also have owned other xt and slx, avid elixir of multiple iterations, juicy's, codes, code r, etc. zees have been the only brakes I'll make 100% sure to avoid.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I like my guide rsc's, but wasn't really impressed with them until I switched brake pads. Trucker pads are cheaper than stock, and the organic semi metallic compound gives a lot more power than the stock pads.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I only have the guide RS (2016) but so far they absolutely piss all over ALL the shimano brakes I've ever used.
and I don't mean in a horrible dot fluidy mess kinda way.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
What are these?
Teh Germans seem to be less then impressed with the Guides in general. Not sure why.
I like my Guides and my X0 trails.
I think they're great. If someone needs more power, I'd try other brakepads like @sbabuser mentioned together with other rotors to try and improve the contact surface between dics and pads. To me the new Sram discs seem a little flimsy tbh. Not scientifically approved yet, though.
Is someone in here that uses the Guide-Code combo labeled as E-bike brake? A lot of pros run this setup and I think Specialized mounts this combo on their Demo aswell.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
No sticky levers on either of our sets of guides.

I will say the lever reach knob can be a little cheesy from time to time, but otherwise light years better than zees. Even after the shimano guys rebuilt my brakes at an event (new hoses, pads, bleed, fittings, etc) they still were inconsistent.

I do hate dealing with dot fluid, but that's a once a year thing for us, Neither of our sets have needed a bleed yet, but I'll do it in the off season just as maintenance.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No problems (as yet) with mine but I haven't had them anywhere near long enough to comment on reliability.
At 200lb I'm not exactly light and with stock pads power is moar than adequate. modulation very good and so far they feel more consistant than my shimanos over similar long/steep descents. I prefer the lever feel to all my shimano's too.
I think pretty much ALL mtb rotors are under built. infact. I haven't ever come across any manufacturers rotor that doesn't eventually warp. but the warp is generally not down to the cutouts on the braking surface anyway. centreline braking surface patern does look a little minimal but the (200mm) arms and bolt mounting portion actually look to have more material to them than some. Anyway like everything. will just have to wait n see how they hold up.
this weekend was a full day of proper mud/hub deep puddles riding and they performed flawlessly so the claim that the rotor design is better at clearing mud could actually be true. kinda hard to isolate exactly why any brake works well in the worst conditions though it's glaringly obvious why some don't.
very happy with them so far.
Would bang again (even while sober)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
To comment on length of ownership.....2 seasons on the wife's brakes, 1 season on mine. I had 2 miserable seasons on the Zees.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I am about to pull the trigger on 2016 Guide RS for my new bike and had just missed the S4 caliper upgrade.
Do you think it is worth it? The S4 brakes cost 40€ more than the older model.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I have the sticky lever situation with my front RSC. Only when it's hot as balls outside. The rear has been flawless. My LBS said they would send it SRAM for a warranty, but I haven't had time to take off long enough to stop riding. Maybe over the winter. It's annoying, but the brake still works fine.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I haven't ever come across any manufacturers rotor that doesn't eventually warp. but the warp is generally not down to the cutouts on the braking surface anyway.
Could the warp you experience be a function of time, like say, a time-warp? :D

At the current rate of Gary upgrades we'll have you on wide bars in no time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha...

Been on nothing but 420s and 780s for the past 3 weeks ;)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
In my recent experience, Shimano's brakes have become laughably unreliable. I ditched 2 pairs of SLXs after both had recurring issues with random pad contamination from just sitting in the storage room...replacing perfectly good pads was getting old. Recently I had a local shop owner who has always sworn by Shimano lamenting their quality as of late, citing similar issues to what I had experienced, and 2 other buddies are throwing in the towel on their XT brakes due to inconsistency.

SRAM, however, continues to impress with the Guides. I don't own them, but they feel excellent and a couple of my riding buddies have had nothing but good experiences. Plus, SRAM warranty is great.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've had my Guide's for a couple of years, with no issues. But change to use the sintered pads, the organics they come with don't last. No issues with the year old set my wife has.

Only used on trail bikes though not our DH rigs. They definitely see plenty of descending use though.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
My one pair of Zees were decently powerful, but never had any reliable modulation and the bite point was super inconsistent. Bolted them to a bike I was selling and made them someone else's problem. Not sure I'll be buying shimano brakes again, they seem to be kinda shit lately. Frankly, I think the only reason anyone thought they were good was because most people can't afford Hope or Formula, and Avid was your only other comparison.

Guides all the way.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
how is the modulation of the saints compared to guides or zees?

is it almost on/off feel or has the feathering/modulation that is needed?

i am coming from code brakes.

ps. i really want to buy the guides but i read so many problems, especially of sticky levers!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use Saint 820s on my DH and trail bikes. Perhaps I have two lucky "good" sets, but whatever, they're dialed and aren't going anywhere. More than enough power, and IMO the better modulation of any of the Shimano brakes.

I wouldn't use any of the Avid brakes based on my past experiences.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
XO Trail on the Trail Bike w Avid G4 rotors
Hope Tech3V4 on the Big Bike w Magura Venti rotors

Both have gobs of stopping power and modulation to die for.

Hope wins hands down for adjuster and lever feel, as well as very easy bleeds.
Avid - the adjusters are a bit meh at best, and the bleeds, well - lets just not talk about that.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
bringing the money factor into the game, which way would you go?

final pricing findings:

hope tech e4 - no rotors -> 270€
2017 sram guide rsc - no rotors -> 260€
saints - no rotors -> 235€
zees with rotors RT86 - not finned pads -> 240€

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Maybe no real help here but I would get the Saint over the Zee since Saint have sintered pads.
Hope at 270€ for a pair sounds really cheap... almost to good to be true, so go for it.

I have been a long time Shimano customer for brakes. I have Saint on my trail bike, Zee on my DH, Slx on my hardtail and some other on previous bikes. For my next build I went for Guide RS since they seem more reliable than Shimano and are less pricey than Hope or Formula. I chose the RS over the RSC since the extra feature on the later is likely to turn into trouble and also for the price.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hope's all the way. 1 bleed when new and I cut the lines. Super easy, no special tools or bleed kit necessary. Power is unbelievable. Reliability is thru the ROOF!
Expensive and run only the softer pads. The sintered are squealy.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Happymtb.fr I'm fine with your English. I was changing what you said into an ORDER rather than a recommendation ;)

My Swedish is non existent other than that horrible word you have. What is it again? Oh yeah

"IKEA"

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Gary Ikea is not a word it's a brand. ;) what you said is like saying I can speak japanese because I know shimano :)

Don't you use smorgasbord in English?
Anyhow french is my mother tongue and I am not sure if you will like it... :busted:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
and are less pricey than Hope or Formula.
In mine and my friends' experiences, you get what you pay for with these two brands, especially their latest high-end offerings. Better quality, more consistent, and more reliable brakes - particular under heavy use (eg. bikepark season).

I think the cheaper brands are okay as long as you treat them as disposable and replace them if you get a bad one, or when (not if) they start causing problems - rather than trying to fix with bleeding (which rarely works, since the problems begin when the internals develop permanent problems).

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
thanks for your feedback @Udi ! I would have liked Hope or Formula but my budget is tight and I had to make some compromises...

How is the ergonomy on Formula? I like to have my Shimano brake levers around 2 cm from the grips and the shifter directly against the brake on the stem side of it and rotated so that it is touching the lever. This way the shifter is at a good thumb length from my hand and I can brake with my index finger.
The formula lever seems quite bulky and I wonder how it does interfere, or not, with the positioning of the shifter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As a side track, did somebody here try the TRP brakes?
Patiently waiting for the downhill brake developed by the pro..........

But on that note, it also looks like I'm going to wait until that cura brake from formula actually shows up. Hooray for cheap Asian sourced casting and mineral oil! It is after all what I'm used to.

This is the only place I can find them. Anybody ever order from these guys? Think I can pay in signed Hasselhoff pics?

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Formula/Cura-Disc-Brake-Set-2017-Model-p51801/

Last edited:

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
so many answers

so difficult to decide!

if i go shimano, i'll go saints, cause the zees need another 50euro for the finned metallic pads.
for the guides i see either raving or hating haha.
the hope seems to have the least negative reviews in the web.

confused!

considering the fact that my current brakes are avid codes 2012 model, and i liked them, which brake is in the same league performancewise and feelingwise?