Quantcast

£€¥Thursday GMT ¥€£

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looks fancy and stuff but seriously? A tile countertop in the kitchen and laminate in the bathroom? Talk about mailing it in on that one. Otherwise it looks like a pretty nice setup.
Exactly. Realistically if we put $30-50k into it, we could realistically sell it during summer for closer to $550k. That's what finished houses of same size are going for.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Exactly. Realistically if we put $30-50k into it, we could realistically sell it during summer for closer to $550k. That's what finished houses of same size are going for.
Oh totally. It has great bones to it that's for sure. If the soon to be wifey didn't have nursing school on the horizon I'd be looking to dump my current place too. Comps are listing for ~$55K more than I paid for the joint and it is NOT worth that in any way shape or form. But hey, if some fool wants to part with his money...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Sorry, 3100 above ground with an unfinished basement.

It's way more than I think we would need, honestly our house is plenty big, but happy wife...
That is a big house, but they chose the bottom of the line builder's standard fixtures and finishes throughout. That's not a $500k house kitchen. Note the self-rimming sinks everywhere for instance... Even if you don't care that'll hurt resale down the road.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That is a big house, but they chose the bottom of the line builder's standard fixtures and finishes throughout. That's not a $500k house kitchen. Note the self-rimming sinks everywhere for instance... Even if you don't care that'll hurt resale down the road.
Right. Which is why it is of so much interest to me. Doing the high-end, modern Ikea kitchen, stone-style tile in the kitchen, dark hardwood (or manufactured), painting, and simple finishing in the bathrooms and that house is worth $100k more. Easy.

Sadly/fortunately, most people can't identify an Ikea level kitchen. So that's a big saver there.

Wifey and I have talked about it a lot and realistically, I can deal with most of a clean-up remodel like this. If we could turn $100k once per year, which given the current market is reasonable, I could do just that. I'd still have to have somebody do the counters and put in carpet, but the majority I can do and is just about time and patience.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
It's the carpet. They had two old dogs and well... accidents. We'd just end up ripping out the flooring, painting a layer of Killz, then putting in hardwood and stone tile (kitchen).
Fvcking dogs. Ours (10 and 11 y/o) destroyed the fake hardwood Buffalo installed in 2004. Every day I come home I just cross my fingers that it's not "clean up on aisle 3" again.

In other news, I get to go for bike ride with my honey tonight! Woo hoo! We haven't been on a ride together in too long!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Not by much. The vast majority of the world gives zero f**ks what kind of counter top the bathroom/kitchen has. It might make it a bit more difficult to sell quickly in a market like we are currently in... but as Adv pointed out - we aren't there...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not by much. The vast majority of the world gives zero f**ks what kind of counter top the bathroom/kitchen has. It might make it a bit more difficult to sell quickly in a market like we are currently in... but as Adv pointed out - we aren't there...
Highlands Ranch isn't Littleton and somebody buying a half-million dollar house is not the vast majority of the world. The avgerage home price in the US is currently $353,400 with a median of $292,700. (source). That includes the skews of California, Floridia, and NY Metro. The median price in Colorado is $279,900 (source). Highlands Ranch is $404,000. Littleton is $343,200. There is a very big difference in what is expected in a $500k house vs. $350k house.

You also need to remember the reason houses in HR are so much more expensive - relocators from CA, TX, etc. It's the HOA suburbs that people want, has the best schools, etc. People from those locations are a bit more focused on the 'fancy house' and aer bringing a lot of cash with them.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thats a half million dollar home? Jesus christ real estate in denver is dumb.
No. That is maybe a $425k home. It's the size. It's f*ing huge and has another 1200 unfinished feet in the basement. That house fully finished, with a bedroom and entertainment area in the basement, would be $600k easily. Even just finishing the above ground levels, you're still looking at well above $500k.

Also, you are comparing to CS. No person in their right mind would live there. Hence, why housing prices are so low.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Highlands Ranch isn't Littleton and somebody buying a half-million dollar house is not the vast majority of the world. The avgerage home price in the US is currently $353,400 with a median of $292,700. (source). That includes the skews of California, Floridia, and NY Metro. The median price in Colorado is $279,900 (source). Highlands Ranch is $404,000. Littleton is $343,200. There is a very big difference in what is expected in a $500k house vs. $350k house.

You also need to remember the reason houses in HR are so much more expensive - relocators from CA, TX, etc. It's the HOA suburbs that people want, has the best schools, etc. People from those locations are a bit more focused on the 'fancy house' and aer bringing a lot of cash with them.
It's always interesting to hear different perspectives.

As you know, I've lived here a long time and HR has always the butt of jokes... right from the beginning.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Balls.

So much for biking, it appears to be pissing rain and lightning out. Normally I'd just say fuck it and go anyways, but not when the lightning is spiderwebbing across the sky.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's always interesting to hear different perspectives.

As you know, I've lived here a long time and HR has always the butt of jokes... right from the beginning.
It's undoubtedly too expensive, but that is HR.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Guessing you're not into the grand staircase thing?

I'd honestly prefer a smaller vintage 60/70/80 simple brick house with a big ass yard and an extra garage on the property. I however will never win that battle.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Guessing you're not into the grand staircase thing?
It's just a horribly 'designed' room.
The actual usable space is tiny, it will be an echo chamber (esp if you remove carpeting) and is completely inefficient to heat/cool with that ceiling height.

It's a spec house loaded with 'features' that make it look fancy but ultimately its just a drywall box that will be annoying to actually live in.
The housing equivalent of a luxury Kia. All the bells and whistles wrapped around a POS.

I'd also look into why the rear patio is sinking/rear steps have fractured.
Something ain't right back there.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The actual usable space is tiny, it will be an echo chamber (esp if you remove carpeting) and is completely inefficient to heat/cool with that ceiling height.

It's a spec house loaded with 'features' that make it look fancy but ultimately its just a drywall box that will be annoying to actually live in.
The housing equivalent of a luxury Kia. All the bells and whistles wrapped around a POS.

You want to talk with my wife?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
:stupid:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Architectural Abortion is the proper term, gentlemen.

And no, I don't want to break it to your wife. :D
A friend's wife once ripped into me because I criticized her desire to finance some opulently expensive shit. She became less happy when I explained to her that she had mistaken me for someone who had to listen to her shit and went home. They were divorced a month later.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

just a nicely polished turd

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That place is nice. I LOL'd at the purple room though.
Paint is cheap. That house went for cheap too. Down side is the schools it feeds to aren't as good as the HR schools. If we move again, unless I'm using it as a live-in remodel to sell, I'm not moving again. I'm buying to stay and I want something that fits all of my wants: big yard, decent space, lots of garage, etc. Basically that house. But... got shot down because the living space is small.

It's just amusing because we both grew up in tiny little 2 and 3 berdoom condos and she wants this big expansive palatial house. I think it's a where I live (her) vs. what we do (me) outlook on living space.