Quantcast

£€¥Thursday GMT ¥€£

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Paint is cheap. That house went for cheap too. Down side is the schools it feeds to aren't as good as the HR schools. If we move again, unless I'm using it as a live-in remodel to sell, I'm not moving again. I'm buying to stay and I want something that fits all of my wants: big yard, decent space, lots of garage, etc. Basically that house. But... got shot down because the living space is small.

It's just amusing because we both grew up in tiny little 2 and 3 berdoom condos and she wants this big expansive palatial house. I think it's a where I live (her) vs. what we do (me) outlook on living space.
Smaller is better. Keep working on her. And the schools around there are good. You might need to choice into Coronado or Normandy (not sure what the home school is for that 'hood) for elementary... but KCMS and Columbine are good schools.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
A friend's wife once ripped into me because I criticized her desire to finance some opulently expensive shit. She became less happy when I explained to her that she had mistaken me for someone who had to listen to her shit and went home. They were divorced a month later.
That toaster's not so expensive that one would have to finance it...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
3300 finished square feet is small now?

That's a big lot! Mowing such an off-camber multilevel beast would not be fun. Same self-rimming sink gripe goes for this one, although they did at least put some effort into bringing the kitchen and master bath forward from 1970.

The biggest differences for new construction around here, IMO, are ceiling height and insulation. I have a feeling that faux-wood wall in photo 9 leaks heat like a mofo, and floors 1 and 2 alike appear to be 8 feet to my eye.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
3300 finished square feet is small now?

That's a big lot! Mowing such an off-camber multilevel beast would not be fun. Same self-rimming sink gripe goes for this one, although they did at least put some effort into bringing the kitchen and master bath forward from 1970.

The biggest differences for new construction around here, IMO, are ceiling height and insulation. I have a feeling that faux-wood wall in photo 9 leaks heat like a mofo, and floors 1 and 2 alike appear to be 8 feet to my eye.
It's not the square footage. It's the family room/kitchen openness. I think that it's perfectly fine and the house I grew up in had a similar amount of space in those rooms. As for the yard, I would be getting a riding mower. Now way in hell I'm mowing a f*ing acre with a push.

Full disclosure: we do NOT have a white boulder in our front yard. :D
Nor do we. However our creepy, hyper religious, Romney sign placing, only person Layla barks at, neighbor has a big one.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This was the most important consideration for us...
Given I am a giant, having a 9ft+ vs your standard 8ft ceiling is pretty important. We have a fan in the living room and had to situate our furniture such that a table is directly below it, as I've bashed my head a few times.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Y'all need to come over and see my new house once it's done. Nice, open great room/kitchen area. Stoney's wife will flip and then demand something akin to it. :D

10' first floor and 9' basement and second floor, too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
note to stoney....quit drinking the schools in highlands ranch kool aid......

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Y'all need to come over and see my new house once it's done. Nice, open great room/kitchen area. Stoney's wife will flip and then demand something akin to it. :D

Thankfully she agrees that Stapleton makes no sense.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Thankfully she agrees that Stapleton makes no sense.
It all depends on where you work. Given that I'm at Anschutz and don't like old houses then Stapleton makes sense for me: short commute, good schools, in Denver proper for what that's worth, tons of people with kids + dogs around, and new construction.

I admittedly do give up yard space, garage space, and end up paying more, but I like the overall package. Plus it has no swinger stigma. :D Our lot is 0.15 acres and is considered pretty big...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
note to stoney....quit drinking the schools in highlands ranch kool aid......
Let me rephrase most everything here... I am okay with most anything. As long as the schools are good, because we'll still try to get Haley into a STEM school. All I care about is a decent sized yard and a 3-car garage. I'm pretty easy about things.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It all depends on where you work. Given that I'm at Anschutz and don't like old houses then Stapleton makes sense for me: short commute, good schools, in Denver proper for what that's worth, tons of people with kids + dogs around, and new construction.

I admittedly do give up yard space, garage space, and end up paying more, but I like the overall package. Plus it has no swinger stigma. :D Our lot is 0.15 acres and is considered pretty big...
DTC.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

She will want the toaster too.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
She will want the toaster too.
She won't be able to miss it as it'll be set up for viewing on its own toaster-pedestal, resting on a soft velvet cushion.

It'll be like this, only super classy like the Trump-wall with with less microwave, more wok, and more toaster:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
She won't be able to miss it as it'll be set up for viewing on its own toaster-pedestal, resting on a soft velvet cushion.

It'll be like this, only super classy like the Trump-wall with with less microwave, more wok, and more toaster:

Will you have colored gels in the spotlighting?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Isn't Golden where all the Denver smog goes to sit, trapped against the Front Range? Sure looks that way out here in Kansas. :D

S.S. is unfortunately right: I basically don't mountain bike any more. I rode a few times in Seattle but just wasn't feeling it. I don't crave that rush anymore, and already know that I can (er, could) clear this or that. I'm old.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
True. But jobs change all the time.
Given I just changed mine and bos has actually worked out a good flight path for me, I'm probably going to be staying around for a while. Plus tenure. Hard to find the vacation I've got at this point.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Isn't Golden where all the Denver smog goes to sit, trapped against the Front Range? Sure looks that way out here in Kansas. :D

S.S. is unfortunately right: I basically don't mountain bike any more. I rode a few times in Seattle but just wasn't feeling it. I don't crave that rush anymore, and already know that I can (er, could) clear this or that. I'm old.
Buy lycra, go roadie. There are a ton of roadie groups out in your area. Too much flat for mtb, so roadie.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
That place is nice. I LOL'd at the purple room though.
Me too! It's like the sister-in-law from Breaking Bad painted it!

That's a real bummer Toshi! But I'll just interpret that as your life is so awesome you don't currently have time. Go find a bike though. You gotta teach the kid!