Quantcast

☘☘☘Frigg's Day GMT☘☘☘

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's mildly ineffective as a sanitary napkin.
Got the oil changed on teh behemoth today... service guy said the inspection showed I need fuel injection and throttle body service. :think:

At 36,000 miles? I'm skeptical.

Auto monkeys - is this just a bunch of modern-vehicle nickle and dime'ing bullshit? I'm very much inclined to call bullshit.

Oh, failed to mention that they were willing to do it while I waited for $410.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Your users manual will have a list of required service items at each service interval. Ask them to show you where it requires that in said manual. Besides that I don't know what they would be doing to service your injectors or throttle body. Injectors may need to be removed and cleaned at say 200,000 miles. Throttle body many need bearings and seals replaced at a similar interval, or in other words, it will probably outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Got the oil changed on teh behemoth today... service guy said the inspection showed I need fuel injection and throttle body service. :think:

Auto monkeys - is this just a bunch of modern-vehicle nickle and dime'ing bullshit? I'm very much inclined to call bullshit.

Scam. As long as your idle speed is consistent there should be no need service the throttle body which I assume simply means chemical cleaning, what else is there to do?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Got the oil changed on teh behemoth today...
ford dealership?

a veterinarian i worked for in colorado had a diesel excursion and they failed to tighten the drain plug all the way twice after servicing...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You did buy a Ford, after all.

:crazy:

Specifically, though, I think your 5L V8 (right? no 6.2 and no EcoBoost for you, iirc) should be port injected, not direct. The direct injection engines such as the whole gamut of shitty Audis are those that have carbon buildup issues. I suspect a money grabbing ploy.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

If it was at an oil change place or at a dealer run like hell. If it was at a specailty shop that you use on a regular basis, maybe

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I learned to camp, backpack, rock climb, survive the apocalypse, blow fire, smoke weed, and many other useful skills in the Boy Scouts. Would recommend.
my brother pulled his oldest out of cub scouts....whatever troop he was in thought a water balloon fight would be dangerous.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sounds like bullshit to me. Your users manual will have a list of required service items at each service interval. Ask them to show you where it requires that in said manual. Besides that I don't know what they would be doing to service your injectors or throttle body. Injectors may need to be removed and cleaned at say 200,000 miles. Throttle body many need bearings and seals replaced at a similar interval, or in other words, it will probably outlast the rest of the vehicle.
This is what I was suspecting... because the required service items in the manual are pretty basic. Those guys can officially kiss my ass.

Oh - and it's a Ford, so yeah... the rest of the vehicle is sure to go to $hit in a handbasket before the throttle body needs any work. :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ford's newer electronic throttle body's do list as needed to be cleaned at the 30k mark.
It's a preventative service, it actually does have a purpose.

In all honesty, it's not bullshit, but the 30k is the severe service level. Most do it at 50k. Getting it done regularly will keep the injectors and the throttle body working i n the optimum range and help them last longer

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
standard operating procedure? well, I couldn't present my document caus' I couldn't talk because everytime I opened my mouth to say something I'd go into a cough fit. I had about 10 people staring at me, half in disgust, half with concern... Like I said, they were happy to see me go.
So I'm at the pharmacy waiting for my prescription now. The dude in front of me asked to pay at another cash because he doesn't want me to "poison him". Douches come in all shapes and sizes I guess. Being a Richy rich isn't a guarantee of class...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ford's newer electronic throttle body's do list as needed to be cleaned at the 30k mark.
It's a preventative service, it actually does have a purpose.

In all honesty, it's not bullshit, but the 30k is the severe service level. Most do it at 50k. Getting it done regularly will keep the injectors and the throttle body working i n the optimum range and help them last longer
Is $400 an awful lotta money to do it??

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The new company truck I just picked up has an eco-burst in it, the 2.7.
Thing is a rocket compared to my earth fucker and gets double the mpg.
My employee who drives it loves it.

Thought about the 5.0 but $1k more and shitty mpg led me to try the new tech.
If it gives me issues I'll set it on fire or roll it into the ocean and buy a v8 with the insurance claim.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The new company truck I just picked up has an eco-burst in it, the 2.7.
Thing is a rocket compared to my earth fucker and gets double the mpg.
My employee who drives it loves it.

Thought about the 5.0 but $1k more and shitty mpg led me to try the new tech.
If it gives me issues I'll set it on fire or roll it into the ocean and buy a v8 with the insurance claim.
Yeah - even thrashing that thing around town for a couple hundred miles and it was getting 22mpg. But turbo Ford... :nope:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Successfully climbed my local go-to loop (up Chimney down Apex) with my 1x. 30t/42 granny, and it seriously wasn't even close to an issue. I did break my chain at the very top of the climb, the fix rendering it (a) two links too short and (2) barely hanging on. I was sure it would pop again every time I pedaled.

So yea, the 1x doesn't suck that many balls, but as I was afraid the top end is sorely lacking for the pedal back home. I'm actually considering he OneUp 45t kit with a 34t ring. I don't even know who I am anymore.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
my brother pulled his oldest out of cub scouts....whatever troop he was in thought a water balloon fight would be dangerous.....
The mothers generally run cub scouts. The only thing it's good for is pinewood derbies. Usually the men take over when it comes time for big boy scouts.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Successfully climbed my local go-to loop (up Chimney down Apex) with my 1x. 30t/42 granny, and it seriously wasn't even close to an issue. I did break my chain at the very top of the climb, the fix rendering it (a) two links too short and (2) barely hanging on. I was sure it would pop again every time I pedaled.

So yea, the 1x doesn't suck that many balls, but as I was afraid the top end is sorely lacking for the pedal back home. I'm actually considering he OneUp 45t kit with a 34t ring. I don't even know who I am anymore.
Go full retard and get an oval 32t ring.
Climbs like a 31t, has legs of a 34t.
That's where this dentist is headed.

Got bored and wandered into the woods behind the house. Found some tangles and leaners I wanted to clean up, so went back for the chain saw. Leaners are stupidly.fucking.dangerous to take out. It's hard to predict the direction they'll choose to fall and they often shed branches which are giant unpredictable baseball bats.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Got bored and wandered into the woods behind the house. Found some tangles and leaners I wanted to clean up, so went back for the chain saw. Leaners are stupidly.fucking.dangerous to take out. It's hard to predict the direction they'll choose to fall and they often shed branches which are giant unpredictable baseball bats.
Um, yeah. Please stay away from those.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
seriously?

also .... kaBLAW!!View attachment 122055
God damn that looks great Nick.*
Looking forward to hitting some dirt with you this summer when I visit the family in early august.

That's what I've heard on the ovals.
Who knows but I'll give you my experience once I've tried it.

*Get some Wildgrippr2s or E13 tires on that thing.
Those paperthin schwalbes will ruin rides.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So I'm at the pharmacy waiting for my prescription now. The dude in front of me asked to pay at another cash because he doesn't want me to "poison him". Douches come in all shapes and sizes I guess. Being a Richy rich isn't a guarantee of class...
I would have been inclined to give him a giant bear hug a big sloppy kiss, but I'm also a part time asshole.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Alright car monkeys. More questions.

How easy or hard is it to replace a U-joint in an f150. Doesn't look too ridiculous from what I've seen. Maybe an afternoon and a six pack's worth of wrenching.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
*Get some Wildgrippr2s or E13 tires on that thing.
Those paperthin schwalbes will ruin rides.
So that's what I've heard. I have to say I ran about 27 psi f/r and was pleasantly surprised with the traction today. But yea, assorted Minions and HR2s are in route. I'm tempted to try the dual compound TRS tires, they look like the business.

is that the new fangled carbon one.....hate to admit it....i actually like them..
It is. I'm an admitted Turner Homer, but fuck, I rode my last '02 RFX for 10 years without complaint, and this frame climbs 10x better. I'm still dialing in the fork/shock, and I'm tempted to throw my Saint brakes on it. The new XTs are really good, but I'm so used to the feel of teh Saints I'd like to do some A/B tests.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Had a good albeit short run last night . About a third of the way through I loosened up and my breathing got rythmic and I started striding instead of plodding. Calfs are slightly stiff this morning.

Coffee then short bus. Weekend plan is to hit the archery shop for a new string then go ride dirt for two days
What's wrong with your bowstring?