Quantcast

☘☘☘Frigg's Day GMT☘☘☘

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Alright car monkeys. More questions.

How easy or hard is it to replace a U-joint in an f150. Doesn't look too ridiculous from what I've seen. Maybe an afternoon and a six pack's worth of wrenching.
youtube video not using proper tools.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had one. The model was called "Volvo". And yeah, the TB had to be cleaned every 100k miles or so.

But turbo engines blow shit by the TB. A N/A gets only fresh filtered air. Reversion can push a little fuel and exhaust in to the intake but it should never get to the TB on something with a single throttle body.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
After my recent Pisgah fest, I failed to motivate myself to ride the local easy trails today, ugh. There is just no substitute for an all day solo ride deep in rugged terrain that involves painful climbs and true black diamond descents.

Flow trails for dentists, hmpf !!

local trail:

Pisgah trail:

not my pics

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After my recent Pisgah fest, I failed to motivate myself to ride the local easy trails today, ugh. There is just no substitute for an all day solo ride deep in rugged terrain that involves painful climbs and true black diamond descents.

Flow trails for dentists, hmpf !!

local trail:

Pisgah trail:

not my pics

Here is the result of our local IMBA chapter dentifying a local trail. I have highlighted for effect the natural line of the berm, and the natural line of the entry trail. You will notice they are not tangential. I may be exagerating things abit as I have yet to ride this section but I would say 90% of the berms built by the local IMBA chapter are completely unusable as berms because they can't figure out the fucking geometry correctly. This is what happens when dentists and lawyers try to build dentist trails.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Here is the result of our local IMBA chapter dentifying a local trail. I have highlighted for effect the natural line of the berm, and the natural line of the entry trail. You will notice they are not tangential. I may be exagerating things abit as I have yet to ride this section but I would say 90% of the berms built by the local IMBA chapter are completely unusable as berms because they can't figure out the fucking geometry correctly. This is what happens when dentists and lawyers try to build dentist trails.

That berm's geometry looks superbly optimized... for 5MPH.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

This one of the things I don't get about IMBA. They love to build berms, but so few of them can actually ride them properly. Most slow down to a crawl and never lean or actually get into the berm, let alone coming into it at mock stupid and letting it catch you.

Personally, I like berms* and learned how to ride them in the early 80's racing BMX. I routinely roost these under-utilized corners and fully expect to get a lecture at some point when one of the local non-leaners sees me do it. I find the sound of dirt hitting the leaves after I exit a corner very rewarding.

* I however do not think berms belong on every trail on the planet. IMBA's homogeneous master plan is ruining trail diversity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This one of the things I don't get about IMBA. They love to build berms, but so few of them can actually ride them properly. Most slow down to a crawl and never lean or actually get into the berm, let alone coming into it at mock stupid and letting it catch you.

Personally, I like berms* and learned how to ride them in the early 80's racing BMX. I routinely roost these under-utilized corners and fully expect to get a lecture at some point when one of the local non-leaners sees me do it. I find the sound of dirt hitting the leaves after I exit a corner very rewarding.

* I however do not think berms belong on every trail on the planet. IMBA's homogeneous master plan is ruining trail diversity.
The guy that led that trail work session is actually a pretty skilled technical rider. He just doesn't understand how to build anything. He also has a huge ego and would never admit that he built a POS feature, so the cycle continues.

Not sure if you ever ride up in Wilkesboro. I used to do the 24 hour race up at dark mountain. Not very technical but those trails were fun. Right combination of flow and regular stuff. It still took skill to get around that place quickly. I know a bunch of people that rave about Warrior Creek. I hate that place. Mindless berms that require no skill. Perfect 8'x4' manicured "rock gardens" with warning signs. It is the bike equivalent of miniature golf. Fun for kids but as an adult I have to be drunk off my ass to enjoy it.

I personally like the mini-berm. Short and steep. Lets you really lean in and carry speed but with an extremely small margin of error so you have get everything just right.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
The guy that led that trail work session is actually a pretty skilled technical rider. He just doesn't understand how to build anything. He also has a huge ego and would never admit that he built a POS feature, so the cycle continues.

Not sure if you ever ride up in Wilkesboro. I used to do the 24 hour race up at dark mountain. Not very technical but those trails were fun. Right combination of flow and regular stuff. It still took skill to get around that place quickly. I know a bunch of people that rave about Warrior Creek. I hate that place. Mindless berms that require no skill. Perfect 8'x4' manicured "rock gardens" with warning signs. It is the bike equivalent of miniature golf. Fun for kids but as an adult I have to be drunk off my ass to enjoy it.

I personally like the mini-berm. Short and steep. Lets you really lean in and carry speed but with an extremely small margin of error so you have get everything just right.
Yeah, I ride in North Wilkesboro several times a year. I haven't ridden Dark Mountain in years, but probably should add that section to OVT one day.

When OVT and WC were first built, I was stoked to ride those trails because of all the berms. At the time, it was the only place in the region outside DH tracks that had legit high speed turns. However, berms are being added to natural, old school trails and they are so out of place. I love berms, but do not want to see them on every trail.

And I have to disagree with you to some extent on not needing skill to ride those turns. It's a good place to practice and refine fast cornering and millisecond quick line changes. But anyone can ride them at a slower pace.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
n. wilkes is a bit closer to me than wilson creek. wilson creek every fucking time. of all the n. wilkes trails, dark is the best. warrior is fun on occasion.

@Westy you need to come down and ride here during your inter-work period. @AngryMetalsmith you need to come ride wilsons soon.