Quantcast

☞☞☞ TurdsDerp GMT ☜☜☜

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Had to add a quart of oil to the Mercedes last night as it was low enough to cause the oil check notification to come on. Less than 18k miles and it appears to have burned at least a quart or so of oil, as there's no sign of leaks anywhere (and shouldn't from a 3yo car). German engineering at it's finest!
modern german engines use a oil just slightly thicker than water.....are you using the right stuff.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
modern german engines use a oil just slightly thicker than water.....are you using the right stuff.
Mercedes Benz approved European formula 229.5 0w-40 blah blah blah horseshit....

Edit - it's the SIL lease that she's letting us use as a baby hauler, since she can't park a car at her apartment in Boston until the lease is up in November. Given it's 1) a lease and 2) not my lease, I don't really give a shit that much....though out of sheer appreciation for all things cars, I care enough to have it not assplode during my use.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
<edit> also I still don't feel the need for 650b and there are soooo many quality 26's for cheap.
which ones?! my recollection was that most 26rs were afflicted with short and high top tubes, slack seat angles, steep headangles and high bbs. I'm genuinely interested caus' I still have a 26r, but I'd love a frame with modern geo for my boy when he gets to be big enough...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Had to add a quart of oil to the Mercedes last night as it was low enough to cause the oil check notification to come on. Less than 18k miles and it appears to have burned at least a quart or so of oil, as there's no sign of leaks anywhere (and shouldn't from a 3yo car). German engineering at it's finest!
Is that a diesel engine?

What I lack in riding plans I make up for with TWO golf tournaments over the next month, since I know how much you all love golf. I should probably golf sometime too in that case......
I hope it is a diesel. :disgust:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Raining, attempting to turn into snow. Took the dog downtown and ran 11 miles down by the crick, nap time is calling.

Sweet baby jesus...... If I'd known that was coming, no family on a powder day.

This. Our sprinkler schedule ends well before 6am. Of course... if you get up retahhhhhhhdedly early... might still be an issue?
I'm at work by 5. I'd have to set the sprinklers to start at midnight.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
On a Thursday, one of my employees sent a note saying a draft report will be available by the end of tomorrow, and a final by the end of the week.
We don’t work overtime, nor weekends.
Hmmm.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
which ones?! my recollection was that most 26rs were afflicted with short and high top tubes, slack seat angles, steep headangles and high bbs. I'm genuinely interested caus' I still have a 26r, but I'd love a frame with modern geo for my boy when he gets to be big enough...
That all depends on the bike, really. I don't need new tech, just newish. I love my big beast, but 42# doesn't pedal well enough for enduroz.

There are a TON of 5 year old 26's I could never be able to afford, but now a 26 is at least 30% cheaper.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Turns out the lady's work trip was cancelled and rescheduled to next week, during which I will also be travelling for work.

Looks like the kid will be getting some quality grandparent time.

\babymonkey

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Afternoon!

It's a beautiful sunny day out there....I've been stuck inside working on a few sign designs and some permitting documents, but hopefully I'll be able to get outside later on for a "site survey" that takes me very near the bar.

My son sat on the hood of my 20-year old mower yesterday evening and crushed the top. No more Doritos for him.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Didn't you just get a Patrol? Not 27.5?

@jimmydean my experience hanging on to the 26" bike, DH bike in this case, is that tire selection is pretty slim.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I tried. I packed up my powder skis, grabbed the rest of my gear, and stuffed them in the rental Altima to get a few hours in at Mary Jane.

Yeah, that "Altima" part was a mistake. Contis on that car were at 6/32" in the rear, a touch under 5/32" up front. Tons of hydroplaning and short lateral movement on I-70. It took all the throttle control that I have to get up the partly plowed Berthoud Pass–several stuck semis, cars, and one idiot in a F-350 on mudders who either has a disconnected or non-functioning front axle.

Then I got to Mary Jane. The road up may have been plowed last night. Maybe. The parking lots weren't. 18" fresh sure looked it there. I got some momentum, plowed myself into the Corona Bypass lot… and immediately got the Altima stuck.

Have I mentioned I needed to be back in Denver at 5 pm? Having responsibilities sucks sometimes.

So I tried to rock the car. No dice. Dug out as much as I could with my gloved hands. No dice. Then a dude drives into the lot in a flatbed F-350 or F-450, fishtailing all around and parking near a Transit Connect. Transit Connect driver emerges: apparently he was stuck and was waiting for his buddy.

Well, the flatbed apparently also had a broken 4wd system, too: no power to the front axle. He quickly gets stuck, too. The two guys then help me out, and with lots of pushing and rocking I get free and to a flat section of the lot. We then attacked the Transit Connect to no avail, not aided by the driver not having an iota of throttle control. He spins the wheels, slides the thing sideways into fresh snow, and we give up on that.

It took me a few more minutes to get out of the lot itself, with a little devilish gully, but at that point I was happy just to be not hopelessly stuck in the snows of Hoth. I drove straight home and counted myself lucky: no time to mess with parking at WP or the town and taking a shuttle.

Morals of the story:

1) I shouldn't take off snow tires until A Basin closes in the future.
2) AWD and some ground clearance is a good idea. It sucks feeling helpless in a vehicle.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes I did. It is 650b. I got it to replace my 2013 Mojo HD. I wanted a frame with more up to date geometry. And other than a Banshee, I wasn't really finding frames I was in love with that fit 26" wheels. To be honest, I was kinda lusting after it anyways, and a nice one came up for a good price in the PB buy n'sell...

I still have the Ibis. I may put it up for sale this summer. But if I can find a good 26" frame with modern geo, I may keep it for my son who is probably only 3 years away from fitting a 26" bike...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I tried. I packed up my powder skis, grabbed the rest of my gear, and stuffed them in the rental Altima to get a few hours in at Mary Jane.<snip>

2) AWD and some ground clearance is a good idea. It sucks feeling helpless in a vehicle.
I apologize... but I lol'd. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pro-tip - get a couple truckloads of composted horse/cow shit and just fucking toss like an inch-deep layer all over it. Do this every spring and fall for a few years.
Grass is needed to start with. Shit on dirt is just shitty dirt.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

@jimmydean my experience hanging on to the 26" bike, DH bike in this case, is that tire selection is pretty slim.
That was my initial thought, but I have been running Maxxis High Rollers since 2001(not the same set) and they seem to still be available. But finding one in stock at an lbs might be a different story.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I still have the Ibis. I may put it up for sale this summer. But if I can find a good 26" frame with modern geo, I may keep it for my son who is probably only 3 years away from fitting a 26" bike...
Step 1: get a 27.5 frame
Step 2: put 26" wheels on it
Step 3: profit? :D

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well I survived 7 hours of Insurance Company sponsored Emergency Vehicle Operations Instructor Level training for company risk management. IE: Powerpoint

4 more hours tomorrow then we get to go set up an actual course (gee like I didn't to that 6 times in the fire department) but wait there is more... we don't actually get to drive the course just set it up...

Kill me now

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Step 1: get a 27.5 frame
Step 2: put 26" wheels on it
Step 3: profit? :D
Well yeah, I suppose. But I was thinking more along the lines of getting a 26r, and putting 24" wheels on it at first.

Maybe I could get a Banshee Spitfire with 26" dropouts, run it with 24" wheels, then 26" wheels, then get the 650b dropouts, and run 650b wheels ... Provided the boy still likes riding by then...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I tried. I packed up my powder skis, grabbed the rest of my gear, and stuffed them in the rental Altima to get a few hours in at Mary Jane.

Yeah, that "Altima" part was a mistake. Contis on that car were at 6/32" in the rear, a touch under 5/32" up front. Tons of hydroplaning and short lateral movement on I-70. It took all the throttle control that I have to get up the partly plowed Berthoud Pass–several stuck semis, cars, and one idiot in a F-350 on mudders who either has a disconnected or non-functioning front axle.

Then I got to Mary Jane. The road up may have been plowed last night. Maybe. The parking lots weren't. 18" fresh sure looked it there. I got some momentum, plowed myself into the Corona Bypass lot… and immediately got the Altima stuck.

Have I mentioned I needed to be back in Denver at 5 pm? Having responsibilities sucks sometimes.

So I tried to rock the car. No dice. Dug out as much as I could with my gloved hands. No dice. Then a dude drives into the lot in a flatbed F-350 or F-450, fishtailing all around and parking near a Transit Connect. Transit Connect driver emerges: apparently he was stuck and was waiting for his buddy.

Well, the flatbed apparently also had a broken 4wd system, too: no power to the front axle. He quickly gets stuck, too. The two guys then help me out, and with lots of pushing and rocking I get free and to a flat section of the lot. We then attacked the Transit Connect to no avail, not aided by the driver not having an iota of throttle control. He spins the wheels, slides the thing sideways into fresh snow, and we give up on that.

It took me a few more minutes to get out of the lot itself, with a little devilish gully, but at that point I was happy just to be not hopelessly stuck in the snows of Hoth. I drove straight home and counted myself lucky: no time to mess with parking at WP or the town and taking a shuttle.

Morals of the story:

The real moral is you have shitty judgement