Quantcast

♢♢♢Wednesday GMT♢♢♢

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have done a lot to change my routes to work to get to safer roads. Rather 5 minutes extra and a more relaxing and safe route.

Going fast in traffic is always an added risk especially with crappy brakes. I really enjoy the stopping power of my hydro road dics in all weather conditions.
Indeed. I can get there faster, but this is the safest way. I'll still be able to cut some risk points out for my next ride though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
@jonKranked

From the MA SEC site:

How to terminate your PMI
1. Pay down your mortgage
If the current balance of your mortgage is less than 80% of the original purchase price of your property and your mortgage was originated prior to 7/29/99, it is possible you may no longer be required to continue paying PMI. Contact your lender for more information. If it was originated after 7/29/99, it must automatically terminate when your balance reaches 78% of the original value of your home. You may also initiate termination, in writing, when your balance reaches 80% of the original value.

2. Increase the value of your property
If the value of your property has increased, due to home improvement or market conditions, you may no longer be required to pay PMI. If the current balance of your mortgage is less than 80% of the current value of your property, your lender may allow you to terminate PMI. Most lenders will require an appraisal (at cost to you). For example, a homeowner who owes $160,000 on a $200,000 home still owes 80% of the home's value. But if that home's value has grown to $400,000, the debt now represents only 40% of the home's value. Contact your lender for more information.
Situation 2 is what I'm talking about. I think I'll talk to the bank.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Indeed. I can get there faster, but this is the safest way. I'll still be able to cut some risk points out for my next ride though.
Nice glad to see another Monkey embracing bike to work commuting. For safety I really like the Orb Horn/light its great to get the attention of cars if that is something you need.

https://orpland.com/

I had a run in with a cab door last year that was opened into the bike lane from an illegally parked cab. Even if I had the right to go fast where it happened just has way to much traffic to go fast.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
situation #2 is moot, because situation #1 applies.

you can petition to remove when you have 20% equity. it's automatically removed when you hit 22% equity.
Not sure you're reading it right. I could have 30% equity after an assessment shows my house is now worth more than what I paid, but my balance-to-loan will still be less than 20%....

Example: Loan was $235k, current balance is ~$200k. That's 15% equity based on loan/balance amount.
If house is now worth $270k, equity is now 26%. However, my balance-to-loan (ie original price) remains the same.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Question to anyone that might know, related to today's discussions: How do real estate sites (Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, etc) arrive to the "estimated value" of a house that is not listed for sale? Comparable houses in the area? Is this a solid indicator of what an assessment done during a refi would come in at?

The reason I ask is, I am very close to minimum equity required (22%) to get rid of the PMI I've had to pay the past 6 years, assuming my house is worth what I paid for it 6 years ago. However, 1 site lists the estimated value right at what I paid, while 2 others estimate it at $35-40k higher, putting my equity closer to the 26-27% range. I'd hate to go through any hassles (and costs) to have it come back the same value.

After refinancing a few months back and saving $200/mo, saving another $100/mo by dropping PMI sure would be awesome. What say you wise monkeys?
It's the *lesser* of sale price or assessed value IIRC. Didn't you get a new appraisal when you refi'd recently?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Question to anyone that might know, related to today's discussions: How do real estate sites (Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, etc) arrive to the "estimated value" of a house that is not listed for sale? Comparable houses in the area? Is this a solid indicator of what an assessment done during a refi would come in at?

The reason I ask is, I am very close to minimum equity required (22%) to get rid of the PMI I've had to pay the past 6 years, assuming my house is worth what I paid for it 6 years ago. However, 1 site lists the estimated value right at what I paid, while 2 others estimate it at $35-40k higher, putting my equity closer to the 26-27% range. I'd hate to go through any hassles (and costs) to have it come back the same value.

After refinancing a few months back and saving $200/mo, saving another $100/mo by dropping PMI sure would be awesome. What say you wise monkeys?
I'm no expert, but my agent who is says that Zillow has been damn near spot on in Portland as far as what people are willing to pay for a place.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It's the *lesser* of sale price or assessed value IIRC. Didn't you get a new appraisal when you refi'd recently?
Luckily I didn't have to go through anything. The bank I have my mortgage with does a "mortgage modification"; $1,000 fee, sign 1 sheet of paper and they switch to the new, lower rate effective the next billing cycle. No appraisal/closing costs, etc.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Google to the rescue! https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cispmi/pmiidx.htm

tl;dr - you'll need to get an appraisal, and if the value gets you above the magic 20% equity line, lender may allow PMI to be dropped.
That's the page I copied that text from, and what I'm saying (see post #42).

If an appraisal says my house is worth $XXXk and I have say 25% equity, I can get rid of it, DESPITE my balance-to-original sale price being less than 20% (which is how to get rid of PMI scenario 1), which I don't think JK is understanding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If an appraisal says my house is worth $XXXk and I have say 25% equity, I can get rid of it, DESPITE my balance to original sale price being less than 20%, which I don't think JK is getting.
no i get that, but if you are already at or above 20% equity against the original sale price, then the appraisal isn't necessary.

your original post said you're already close to 22% equity.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
the appraisal is only necessary if the market value increase is required to put him over 20%. based on his original post, it sounds like he's already at or above 20%.
Nah son. I'm at ~15% assuming original sale price. See post #45.

That's why I'm saying I don't qualify for scenario 1 right now, but possibly scenario 2, assuming the appraisal comes in at the necessary value.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another way to look at it, if the principle balance of your mortgage is 80% or less of the original sale price, you don't need an appraisal.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
no i get that, but if you are already at or above 20% equity against the original sale price, then the appraisal isn't necessary.

your original post said you're already close to 22% equity.
I guess "close" is subjective.

Close in that a favorable property value change can get me there, but not so close in that I'm still a few years away from paying it down.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You know... this gets me thinking. I could probably get into a super-cheap 5/1 ARM at this point and save almost enough money to simply pay off the balance at the end of the 5 years (assuming rates go up).

Hmmm....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I get that....see my above post. Still 2-3 years from paying it down that far.
yea we're on the same page now. stop editing your posts with relevant information. :D

all this has gotten me curious, so i googled our place on zillow, according to them, our value has gone up $20k based on neighborhood comps alone, not counting the upgrades we've done (not that i'd expect them to increase the value by much if anything)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Get the appraisal and if you're missing some $$ to hit 20% just pay down the principle by whatever the $$ is?
I was considering doing this actually, but I'm not sure the required cost will outweigh the savings. Say I need to pay $10-12k to get me to 20% and pay it now. I'll save about $120/mo be getting rid of PMI. However, if property values go the way they are going, I can hold out a year or so, wait (hope) the value goes up enough, and it gets eliminated anyway.

I understanding putting the $10-12k in now is only helping me, but I'd rather distribute that over the years and keep that money now for bikes, beer and hookers.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice glad to see another Monkey embracing bike to work commuting. For safety I really like the Orb Horn/light its great to get the attention of cars if that is something you need.

https://orpland.com/

I had a run in with a cab door last year that was opened into the bike lane from an illegally parked cab. Even if I had the right to go fast where it happened just has way to much traffic to go fast.
That looks cool.

This stretch is my risk point. A lot of which I can transit via sidewalk, but where I have no options. The other 11 miles are super easy.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
So confused at this moment. My wife just left with Lil Heathen for the next two weeks. Gonna miss that lil thing.

But I already have all my bike shit in the truck and plan on leaving it in until I see them.

The sadness and excitement are balanced out. I am at a loss. Need tacos.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
PMI is sometimes controlled by the loan itself. I think we will owe PMI for 8 years no matter our equity. The only way they remove it is if we're over 20% equity by home value. You can call in and request that, and they'll send you a letter which you can request an appraisal and they'll see if you've increased in value, or you can you just pay them money to get rid of PMI, which I don't fully understand why you would bother. OR, you can refinance with all the fees which might get you a lower interest rate and negate PMI.

As for home value, redfin is right on the money with what a realtor told us our home was worth. Zillow is $75k more expensive. We did put some money into our house, which redfin doesn't know about (but the realtor did), so I don't know how that plays in exactly.

As for us, we bought at the end of 2011, from a couple who needed to downsize due to illness, in a house that was poorly advertised. Turns out we're in the hottest suburb of boston, and people want to live here now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PMI is sometimes controlled by the loan itself. I think we will owe PMI for 8 years no matter our equity. The only way they remove it is if we're over 20% equity by home value.
these sentences in conjunction make no sense.

also, i'm pretty sure it's illegal to require PMI for a specific period of time.