Quantcast

♧turdsday gfmt♧

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a cousin i met when she was about 2 months old 20 something years ago lives in brozeman

Screenshot_20221222_122945_Instagram.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hello peoples

doing some actual academic work this morning after putting it off for the better part of two months

figure it needs to get done and then i can point to at least one concrete thing i did this year on my annual review

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
staring down the barrel of this:
View attachment 186659
followed by a flash freeze at the end of the day (those are °C btw)

Going to try and stock up on staples today at lunch. Then perhaps a fatbike ride this evening followed by a festivus celebration at a buddies' place. (and a long, slow drive home afterwards)...
FFS
1671737845731.png

Maybe the right-wingers are right. Maybe we are raising a generation of coddled weaklings... I mean, it's not like we live in Canada or anything... where winter weather is a reality 4 months of the year....

good thing I stocked up on beer and bourbon at lunch today (Elijah Craig in case anyone cares!)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Sitting at the woodstove wondering if I should accidentally a Transition Patrol. Checks a lot of boxes…just wish they’d put the fucker on sale or send a discount code to their SPAM subscribers…

#weathermonkey.com 22F here and no one has moved more than about 10 feet from the woodstove yet today…

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Funny you should say that. It is in the “soon” category.
Land has been procured by the bike club. Doing a whole fundraising campaign to pay for land and a rather large pump track/bike park thingy.
I have been on last minute urgent visits to Warsaw three times in the last two months. Hurry up with that pump track!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Mother Beautiful

Holiday traffic hell trying to get home from work. I am in an apartment neighborhood that has one lane each way and stretching down its center length is a lane with broken yellow lines on each side to let cars pull out of traffic to make turns in or out of driveways and not block traffic. The speed limit is 35. I am leading a parade of cars out of a stop light. A guy in a metallic Blue BMW with a modified (loud) exhaust some 15 cars back decides its an entitled persons passing lane and pulls in and floors it. I can see him coming up at 60+ . Just before he reached me, The Alameda County Sheriff in the oncoming traffic pulls into the turn lane, hits his lights, leans out his window. points and screams at the BMW. "Pull over now". The Deputy looked like he was going to kill the guy. I applauded the deputy as I drove past and watched him flip a u-turn and pull the SOB over. Merry Christmas sucker :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted:

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Down to needing 2912ft/day for the next 9 days, 26,204ft of vert to go to hit half a mill for the year.

I've done 26,214ft in the last 7 days, so should be doable.

Most I've ever done in 7 days was 45,000ft, but that was a long time ago and in June :p

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
working late again because my software engineers can't software, they certainly can't get their software to work. I ain't no software engineer but I know when shit doesn't work and can identify fucking typos. Lazy fuckers.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
decided to come home this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning b/c it was raining/snowing up there all day, bunch of ice on everything already, a whole lot more gonna form when it goes from 34 to -2 between midnight and 8 am tomorrow and the roads are...not ideal...for that for the first 1.5 hours of the drive. as a bonus wife is sick as hell. i decided to forgo the sling today. zero pain, just the bump and weird clicks and pops if i move my left arm too far up/back/out. guess i'll get an xray tomorrow to be safe.

carry on.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
We need more of this everywhere.

This video from Vinny T shows the Kamloops Bike Ranch at 47 seconds. I had no idea it was lit up at night, which is so cool. It must be a different sensation hitting those big booters in the dark...
What you really need is a few pump track building companies that are good at lobbying local governments. Pumptracks here basically replaced basketball courts and skateparks as local investments. They are getting used to since every kid has a bike or a scooter.

The other option is what Warsaw has been doing which is delegating part of it's budget to direct democracy where people can qualify their ideas for a vote. There is a site where 2 times per year ( I think?) people who pay taxes in the city (it's a way to incentivise people to register in the city and increase revenue) can vote for those ideas. A lot of them have been pumptracks and the local bike community was good at organizing votes.

I'm a bit bummed our best pumptrack of the city didn't win enough votes for lights and though local government shenanigans we lost the pizza place- bike shop - iluminated pump track - party place. Since that was a good mix but I can't really complain.

All of those are done by 2 companies:

BT is doing them all around Europe. Not sure about Velo. Look at the pics on their sites. Some of them are a bit wonky but they got better at designing them and 90% of them are really good.

One of the companies also is not finishing the largest one in Yurp. Not sure what's the point of a super long pumptrack but it's still nice to have one

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ain't made for walking?
They are, in fact, made to both walk and ski. When I switched from snowboarding to skiing ~14 years ago, it was for mobility and ski touring capability. I’ve never* owned skis or boots that couldn’t go uphill.

what boots did ya get? :hmm:
Lange XT3 130. I liked the way the touring-focused version (XT3 Tour, because “tour”) I got last year fit and walked, but was never super stoked with the way they ski. I tried a bunch of mods that did make them ski better, but basically put them within a couple-tree ounces of the “50/50” version. So, I bought the 50/50 version and Hoe-Lee do they ski way better. I can only assume it’s the difference in plastic (PU vs. Grilamid) but what do I know? I wasn’t aware one needed to be a fucking materials scientist to ski. I’ll get ‘em out for a walk in the next few days, I expect they’ll be just fine. Maybe not quite as good as the Tours but way better than my old battleship Scarpas.

#skibootmonkey

*except for some odd vintage stuff here and there, mainly for comedic purposes in the spring.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
…Warsaw has been doing which is delegating part of its budget to direct democracy where people can qualify their ideas for a vote. There is a site where 2 times per year ( I think?) people who pay taxes in the city (it's a way to incentivise people to register in the city and increase revenue) can vote for those ideas…
This is pretty dang cool, and is something my small town has done as well. In the last vote, the folks here voted on building a small bike park next to the new skatepark that was just built a year ago. Pump track and dirt jump lines, I believe. The project was voted in, and they’ve started hauling dirt to the location. Pretty cool, and it’s a few blocks from my house. To be fair, my town is so small basically everything is a few blocks from my house…

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Sitting at the woodstove wondering if I should accidentally a Transition Patrol. Checks a lot of boxes…
Any other brands / models I should consider? I am currently on a Bronson, but SC pricing has gone from ridiculous to insulting. So, they’re out. The Patrol in XL is almost perfect, but I want to be sure not to overlook something else out there…

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Any other brands / models I should consider? I am currently on a Bronson, but SC pricing has gone from ridiculous to insulting. So, they’re out. The Patrol in XL is almost perfect, but I want to be sure not to overlook something else out there…
I have a pretty raging hard on for my Sentinel. It checks a lot of boxes for what I like and ride when not in IN. But it is one of those dang 29ers.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I looked at the whole line up - Scout, Sent, Spire and Patrol. I really like the way my current 27.5” handles, but the wagon wheel up front seems like it should help in the rough stuff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nicolai makes some of the biggest bikes out there for the vertically inclined.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
why not just mullet the bronson with a new fork/front wheel? if you don't like it i'm sure you could sell...i've thought about that a lot with my nomad...
I absolutely considered this, BUT my biggest problems with the Bronson is the slack seat tube angle. Mulleting it would make things worse I think. The Patrol puts the seat a lot further forward when seated for climbing. Long is great going downhill, but my worn out back can’t handle being bent over when climbing…

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I absolutely considered this, BUT my biggest problems with the Bronson is the slack seat tube angle. Mulleting it would make things worse I think. The Patrol puts the seat a lot further forward when seated for climbing. Long is great going downhill, but my worn out back can’t handle being bent over when climbing…
Wouldn't you lower front travel if mulleted?

Thought about doing it for my Scout. I'd probably drop front travel from 150 to 140 to mostly retain angles.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Nicolai makes some of the biggest bikes out there for the vertically inclined.
Also, on my very short list, but by time I spec it out to my liking, the price gets crazy. I should probably take a look at what I can reuse from the Bronson to keep the price reasonable, but a lot of standards have changed since I bought it.
Probably also some ptsd involved in looking at the Nicolai website.

Reminds me of my own German employer…

The feedback here makes me think I am on the right track….

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Wouldn't you lower front travel if mulleted?

Thought about doing it for my Scout. I'd probably drop front travel from 150 to 140 to mostly retain angles.
When I thought about, I had planned to keep the travel the same and possibly even jump from Fox 36 to 38. I assumed that would raise the front end. I am not too interested in decreasing front travel…worth a thought though…

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
why not just mullet the bronson with a new fork/front wheel? if you don't like it i'm sure you could sell...i've thought about that a lot with my nomad...
It adds up - larger wheel diameter + longer A2C == no bueno unless you can bring the front end down somehow.