Quantcast

2005 24 Hours of Dalton

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Once again what a fun weekend. It was truly a pleasure riding and hanging out with everyone. I wish I had more time to hang out, maybe next time I'll try and get on a team.

My drive up to Dalton was a long one, 40 miles from home I realized I forgot a bag full of food and had to turn around. My 8 hour drive turned into a 10 hour drive. Showing up late I got some great help from Echo, TreeSaw and Squirrel setting up camp. Thanks again guys. Monkeys continued to help me throughout the race, cheering me on feeding me and Jolly Time rode along with me for a while. Echo continued to help me out through the race wiith my bike, especially with a nagging front derailleur problem which prevented me from getting into my granny gear for the first 6 laps.

The Race:
Things went great for the first 5 or 6 laps. I felt good and thought I was pacing myself well. the main problem was it was hot, really freaking hot. Just thinking about ice or a cold stream literally made me drool. I was drinking plenty of stuff but at some point my stomach stopped absorbing anything, I was all bloated and achy. I had to get it working again or I would dehydrate so I just did a few laps never pushing my heart rate, at some point my stomach growled and seemed to empty in just a few minutes. Unfortunately it never felt the same again, the rest of the race was a struggle to eat or drink anything. Eating required cold water to wash the food down and I had to fight gagging and dry heaving, fun stuff. Despite battling a few cramps I felt OK until about 9:00 when my body just seemed to shut down. My legs felt strong and I had plenty of food I was just tired, the kind of body tired you get when you have the flu. I tried to sleep but couldn't. The rest of the race consisted of doing a lap or two followed by failed attempts at sleeping. Sometime in the morning I really imploded. The people camping next to me said I came in after a lap, sat in my chair and my eyes just rolled back in my head for a few minutes. I decided to quit and wandered over to 4:monkey:'s and a Baboon camp. After hanging out with they guys and one of Bill's tasty pancakes I decided to go back out for a couple of laps so I did not DNF. On my second lap I got to ride a long with JollyTime until I couldn't stay with him any more and just crept along the course so I could finish after 11:00.

The thing that really has stuck with me from the race was seeing the abondoned bikes from injured riders. One lap I passed paramedics hauling one guy out who apeared to have broken his jaw. I can't say enough about Crashby helping the one guy out, I really really hope he has a full recovery.

Thanks again for everyones help and encouragement, if it wasn't for you guys I probably would have packed up and left before midnight.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
I had fun, thanks for giving me the opportunity to serve. Your gratitude and kind words are my greatest reward.

Did anyone mention how hot it was. The slight breeze was nice but that sun was brutal. I could not conceive a way i could ride or race in such ocnditions.

I have no ride reports to give as my bike never came of the truck rack, and i have no pictures to share.
But i will remember,
the carpenter ants, the thousands of big black egg carting ants living in my trailer when i opened it up there. And the Nightrider tent guy for helping me kill them all.
Bernnie, who i helped at the check in tent because i forgot to check what site i was supposed to be in, and the computer was down so he couldnt tell me. Then he let the ridemonkeys take over a block of 5 sites.
The confort i felt having my son (10) in the company of such fine and honorable folks, and the look on my sons face racing with the kids.
The joy following the fast first laps, the anxiety at 1am waiting for word of the fallen, the love af a mother tending her sick child.

and next year i will remember the keys to the camper, and ketsup and mustard

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
Haha, I somehow made it in the background of 2 pics (sunglasses, orange hat and black pirates life for me t-shirt).

Saw a ton of RM shirts out there. Remember seeing the guy with the Guiness riding shirt and thought to myself "hell yeah, another shiftless out of shape beer drinking biker out there like me!!" - then he passed me. Curses!

Good times though.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
crashby, after hearing what you did, you have my utmost respect. was his crash the result of that sketchy new downhill that was put in? hopefully he is alright now.

that looks it would be fun to drift through. just tap the rear brake and sail on through.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nathan Cloud said:
Haha, I somehow made it in the background of 2 pics (sunglasses, orange hat and black pirates life for me t-shirt).

Saw a ton of RM shirts out there. Remember seeing the guy with the Guiness riding shirt and thought to myself "hell yeah, another shiftless out of shape beer drinking biker out there like me!!" - then he passed me. Curses!

Good times though.
That was me. I ride a lot so I can eat and drink even more.

Welcome to RM!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
gnurider1080 said:
crashby, after hearing what you did, you have my utmost respect. was his crash the result of that sketchy new downhill that was put in?
Yup...

I did a bit of thinking over the past day or so about the course, who is responsible for what, liability, rescue infrastructure, etc.... but at the end of the day, we all signed a waiver, we know the sport, we pre-rode the course... we love being on two wheels....

-Crashby

splat

Nam I am
Batch 2 !

Lets change the pace a little bit.
time for 24 Minutes of adreilin , The Kids race. I'm sorry MMcG , But my wife did not take any shots of your boy :(

But here is My daughter Jessica , with her Brother Peter giving race advice , and on the end with # 132 is justNoah

I asked peter what he said , he told her to be careful going into the turns and don't worry about finishing last.

Well Like the Main race this field was not nearly as big as it was last year . but they decided to break it down into 2 groups , 4-8 and 9 -14 , so Peter is 8 so he was in the first race

and here is pushing hard .

and here is the 9+ at the start JustBill behind Justnoah and Jessica

Now back to the main attraction.
here Stuntmatty and I are waiting in the timing tent for an exchange. it was sooo Hot out they let us wait in the transition tent.

and here comes MMcG ! notice the time ! we were doing a perfect 6 hr rotation , I went out at noon, 6 pm , midnight , and 6:10 AM

ME :D

I tried taking a Bunch of shots with long SHutter exposure to show the Bike moving across teh trails , ( was very cool to watch ) this is the one that came out the best .

It was a very nice Night out and Bill sort of just fell asleep here. and this is where he spent the night.

apprently while I was out on my Night lap , my Daughter threw up, Twice ! and My wife and Bill cleaned it up , after the 2nd time , my wife threw my 10 year old daughter out of the camper ! and made her sleep out side ! fortunatly the temp was only in the mid 70's so she was fine , she actually liked it .

Daylight comes again , I got about 2 hours of sleep.

but here is Baboon ( who also slept out side on a lounge chair ) tearing it up.

Go Babs Go!!

Almost Done IAB , just got off of the O/U

now these are the ones I really like !

the Lap whereJT and Westy were riding together

we were screaming for westy to Push JT!!!

but it really looked awesome , and it must have been load , there were bunches of us screaming here.

and then there is the Bell ringer himself !!! crasysweeper!

more later

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Crashby said:
Yup...

I did a bit of thinking over the past day or so about the course, who is responsible for what, liability, rescue infrastructure, etc.... but at the end of the day, we all signed a waiver, we know the sport, we pre-rode the course... we love being on two wheels....

-Crashby
Last year they had the local Dalton guys help w/the course, etc and this year they didnt - not sure why but I hope next year they go back to enlisting their help.

One of my (pre race) thoughts were they needed to throw some (slow) single track into the fast dh section (block the road, make you do a short tight st section, then back out, so instead of coming into the sketchy section at 30mph you'd be doing 5mph)

I really hate saying anything bad about people putting on a race but I do want to say IMO, Adrenaline needs to make a few improvements

Anyway, I did have a blast, but the combination of the heat, my 5th lap and my competitiveness pushed me past my limits

Bill's cooking ruled, my teammates all did a great job, and we worked damn good as a team with our next rider always being at the tent ready to go when the current rider came in.

It was great to see everyone, my one regret is I wish there was I had more time to socialize / goof off / hang out.

Greasymonkey, you are one sickly fast dude, I have been training my ass off and you smoked me, I do wish I saw you out on the course - I would have loved to try to hang on your wheel.

I want to see the results, last year me & sq-earl had the same fast lap time, and this year I think we did again!!

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
douglas said:
Greasymonkey, you are one sickly fast dude, I have been training my ass off and you smoked me, I do wish I saw you out on the course - I would have loved to try to hang on your wheel.

Doug, I have to admit I have been training my ass of also and I would have loved to have seen you on the corase I bet we both would have had faster lap time's pushing one another.

splat

Nam I am
Next Batch !

Echo leaving the transition area says I will oppress you !

echo starting up the climb that is in between the start and the Over/under

Echo coming into the Over/under , With Tree saw in the background taking a picture also.

This is a Section shortly before the end, that could be tricky, but it was fun. an My last lap I passed some one from humanities only hope on this.

oh and that is heather Mosley walking up the sied of the trail.

this section was soooooo much fun !! Just before you go down that rocky decent in the previous picture . JT would pass the guy from team zilla on that

Dalton Doug goes out for a 5th lap. It should have been me . But we sent him out to try and get 2 laps in , in stead of just one, But we would have needed a 2 1:50 laps for it to work and none of us had it in us at this point. so I probably should have gone out and did it , it was my turn in the rotation.

unfortunatly this got too much useage.

Westy waited till 11:00 to finish and for some reason he was behind the 2 Solo felmale riders

this was seen all too often, this though was not one of the questioanlbe sections, I guess it just goes to show you have to be careful on all parts of the trail.

OK Echo about to go into the chute ! you tell me what his plan is !

echo once again, Happy he is done !

Tweek is off on jakalopes last lap.

Alex , Stuntmatty and Greasy monkey coming back from his last lap.

Team Photo L to R
I Are Baboon, MMcG , Jolley Time , Douglas, Magsterrap, Just Bill and Splat.

our unofficial timing chart

Jacaklopes Timing chart

4MAAB did not feel right accepting the ridemonkey cup. so we presented it to Crashby ( not team Jackalope! )
for what Crachby Did he earned it !

and one final person on the over onder. My sopon peter was dying to ride it . so after every thing was done he went and had a good time

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
our unofficial timing chart

Our unofficial averages:

Splat: 1:15
Doug: 1:02 (0:57 over his first four laps)
IAB: 1:10
JT: 1:09
MMcG: 1:31

Nice job, fellas!! :thumb:

I am too lazy to work all those Jackalope averages.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
Dalton Doug goes out for a 5th lap. It should have been me . But we sent him out to try and get 2 laps in , in stead of just one, But we would have needed a 2 1:50 laps for it to work and none of us had it in us at this point. so I probably should have gone out and did it , it was my turn in the rotation.

]

My lap started at 10:38, so we would have needed to get two laps in before 1:00pm, that only gave us 2:22, on a cooler/less humid day it would have been done !!

(I am so glad the decision was made by the time I hit the under to not go for it, so I just needed to finish my lap - which was a chore in itself!)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
oh, one more thing - major thanks to the dude that stopped and asked if I was ok (I was laying next to the mud pit unable to stand or ride due to leg cramps, and with an empty water bottle)

He gave me some of his water, I told him I'd be ok, and he kept going.
Somehow I got up and was able to get going again - I sorta felt bad when I passed him a few minutes later

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
oh, one more thing - major thanks to the dude that stopped and asked if I was ok (I was laying next to the mud pit unable to stand or ride due to leg cramps, and with an empty water bottle)

He gave me some of his water, I told him I'd be ok, and he kept going.
Somehow I got up and was able to get going again - I sorta felt bad when I passed him a few minutes later
The sportsmanship in that event really impresses me. I had the same thing happen to me. On my first night lap, I was literally rolling around on the ground in pain at the beginning of the pipeline due to cramping. Three guys stopped and offered help, but I told them to keep going. One guy offered electrolyte pills so I took them. Then I passed the dude on the pipeline, and he says "Boy I guess the pills work, huh?" :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Our unofficial averages:

Splat: 1:15
Doug: 1:02 (0:57 over his first four laps)
IAB: 1:10
JT: 1:09
MMcG: 1:31

Nice job, fellas!! :thumb:

I am too lazy to work all those Jackalope averages.
Great job teammates. I need to work harder for next year. :o:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Great job teammates. I need to work harder for next year. :o:
Considering you are nursing a twice-sprained knee and have limited riding under your belt this year as a result, you did just fine! Three laps was about as much as we could ask out of you, hombre. That loop isn't exactly an easy eight miles.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the lack of trail time hurt me big time, as did the lack of riding the trails in any type of real heat and humidity. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest on my first lap on Saturday. Changing the flat actually helped get my heart rate down a little bit. I'm still totally impressed with how the 4 of you guys did under these conditions. I have awesome teammates! :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MMcG said:
the lack of trail time hurt me big time, as did the lack of riding the trails in any type of real heat and humidity. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest on my first lap on Saturday. Changing the flat actually helped get my heart rate down a little bit. I'm still totally impressed with how the 4 of you guys did under these conditions. I have awesome teammates! :thumb:
You did very well and have nothing to feel bad about! :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
everyone also needs to remember, the riders that have longer lap times were pushing themselves just as hard as anyone else, BUT were out there pushing that hard for 10 -30 minutes longer than the faster guys, and in that heat/humidity that is super impressive in my book!!

good job :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dalton Doug is wise!!

Hey, did anyone else find the night laps to be mentally exhausting? Maybe it's just my inexperience with night riding, but you have to concentrate and focus so freakin hard on the trail in front of you (especially on descents), you are mentally drained by the end of the lap. The pedaling itself isn't any harder than day laps, but I found the mental focus to be really draining.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Dalton Doug is wise!!

Hey, did anyone else find the night laps to be mentally exhausting? Maybe it's just my inexperience with night riding, but you have to concentrate and focus so freakin hard on the trail in front of you (especially on descents), you are mentally drained by the end of the lap. The pedaling itself isn't any harder than day laps, but I found the mental focus to be really draining.
My arms got a lot more tired on my night laps because I was riding like a sausage (barreling into things and then having to get myself out of them without crashing too many times ;) ) I personally like night riding...it's so peaceful and serene, but the new DH section really took a lot out of me.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I am not a fan of night laps - if you look at the lap times, you can see the people who do ride night didnt lose much time compared to their day laps, and people like me did

I think I should have went with a new bar mount light instead of helmet, the lights weight kept pushing the front of my helmet down blocking some of my view, I kept thinking about Westy saying he hooks a rubberband from the back of his helmet to his camel back (or shirt) which would have solved my problem

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I Are Baboon said:
Dalton Doug is wise!!

My night lap was probably my most fun lap of the race, I was just blasting along, totally focused on the trail. It rocked :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
I am not a fan of night laps - if you look at the lap times, you can see the people who do ride night didnt lose much time compared to their day laps, and people like me did

I think I should have went with a new bar mount light instead of helmet, the lights weight kept pushing the front of my helmet down blocking some of my view, I kept thinking about Westy saying he hooks a rubberband from the back of his helmet to his camel back (or shirt) which would have solved my problem
I had similar troubles with my new HID...it's heavy compared to my old light, but :thumb: on the brightness!!! I am looking at ways of modifying it to stay upright a bit more and not push my helmet down so much.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Dalton Doug is wise!!

I loved the night lap! I do so much night riding it is like 2nd nature to me. and because the heat wasn't an issue I felt really good.

as for keeping my Helmet up , I have 2 different solutiuns , sinceit is usually not as hot at night I use a BMX helmet for night/Winter riding, and 2nd ly when I use my XC/vented Helmet A sweat band helps hold it up. But I still had issues by the end of my lap when the Sweat band was so full of sweat that it moved to , right in front of my eyes :help:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I guess I just need to ride at night more. I enjoyed it, but I found it to be mentally draining. Still, I am pleased with my 1:14 and 1:11 night lap times. I made the mistake of using only my helmet light on the first lap, which started at 8:30. As soon as I hit the woods, I regretted not having the bar light.

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
I loved the night lap but just before I went out was when crashby was late and word was the guy he was with was hurt really bad so I took it slow and safe.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
I guess I just need to ride at night more.
Let's ride Huckleberry Hill at night every now and again. It's fun, not overly technical - okay for night riding, and not super long so we wouldn't be out there forever.