Quantcast

2007 Marzocchi Forks Are Out!!!

Sep 10, 2001
I know our graghic guys look outside the bike industry when it comes to colors and such... I would be willing to bet the graghics people with the other companies do the same thing..

Brian

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Now i wanna know how everyone seems to pick the same color to be the big color every year. Do all the designers get together and have tea and cookies while the pass color swatches around?
You should read up on Pantone and their influence on color in many industries. It's actually pretty interesting.

Every year, Pantone picks a "hot" color. They say that it's actually a prediction for the upcoming year, but when the industry leader in color picks one color as being The Color, it's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Pantone has a tremendous influence on colors in the fashion and real estate/home decorating markets. I don't know how much of that trickles into the bike industry.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay i understand color is a big deal, but i think i can overlook the color for a kickass, and well perfoming fork. i mean in my opinion you cant go wrong with marzocchi and i was extremely excited when they folowed the air trend. i will hopefully be putting one on the front end of my sunday when i end up getting one. good work brian yet another year that i can count on my marzocchi.:busted: :banana:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
You should read up on Pantone and their influence on color in many industries. It's actually pretty interesting.

Every year, Pantone picks a "hot" color. They say that it's actually a prediction for the upcoming year, but when the industry leader in color picks one color as being The Color, it's pretty much a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Pantone has a tremendous influence on colors in the fashion and real estate/home decorating markets. I don't know how much of that trickles into the bike industry.

I know in the auto industry PPG usually leads the trends, but that' usually known several years ahead of time, and it's usually a class of colors.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
Check out the International site - over here in Europe we get different colours again - the RC2X World Cup has white sliders and the RC2X VA has black and not the charcoal over there. Plus we get four 888 models to choose from not the 3 over there....the odd one out being the 888 RCV

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Really? On a digi scale? I find that hard to believe although you generally know what's up.
You guys crack me up, a digital scale is no more accurate than a standard scale. I've got a digital voltmeter that consistantly reads about .5 volts high, I've seen digital calipers read as much as .025 off, I've seen digital thermometers that read 10 deg off. Digital measurements are not any more accurate than mechanical measurements, in many cases they are worse if the electronics have not been calibrated or are of low quality. Honestly unless you are spending big bucks for digital equipment I put more confidence in mechanical instruments.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I want to know why the new retro Z1 comes w/ ETA and not ATA. Weak. Love my ETA but actually having active travel when it's lowered (a la TALAS) is such a nice feature...

edit: ohhh is ATA only on air forks? Hmmm

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It seems to me the Z1 is kinda obsolete between the new AM and 66. AM for trails, 66 for DH/FR. Where does the Z1 fit in, especially considering it's got less travel than the AM?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
^ None of the AM forks have RC2 damping. I wonder why the Z1 has the DJ lowers and bolt on crown (maybe a tad stronger than the AM / 4XWC? . . . but the super has the AM lowers?)

edit - the Z1 has the same steerer as the AM though, not the DJ one.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You guys crack me up, a digital scale is no more accurate than a standard scale. I've got a digital voltmeter that consistantly reads about .5 volts high, I've seen digital calipers read as much as .025 off, I've seen digital thermometers that read 10 deg off. Digital measurements are not any more accurate than mechanical measurements, in many cases they are worse if the electronics have not been calibrated or are of low quality. Honestly unless you are spending big bucks for digital equipment I put more confidence in mechanical instruments.
My digi was over $1500 and was used in a lab to weigh powders to the nearest .001g. It needs a lid so air movement doesnt affect the weight. Is that accurate enough? :) My 888 weighted 8lbs with axle, correct oil height, and Go-Ride crowns and stem.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i think its funny that i just got my new bike, the 66sl was blown from the factory and its now been over 3 weeks since i got my bike...and i can't ride it yet!!!! and now if i had just waited those 3 weeks to buy my bike i could have gotten an '07 fork!!! ****!!!!!

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
The WC is the flagship, however the SL (air) is by far the superior fork. Also notice that on the site the SL is listed as 6.5lbs, and the WC isn't give a weight.

Fact of the matter is, converting two springs that weigh a measly 139g each into Ti isn't going to save much weight at all.

The SL does the right thing by ditching the useless end stroke compression cartridge and doing something more useful with the leg - oh, and getting rid of the springs all together in the process. :)
Actually with Ti you would be able to replace both steel springs with one Ti and have it be lighter than one steel,But there are other issues why I won't run Ti fork springs.Shock spring allways

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My digi was over $1500 and was used in a lab to weigh powders to the nearest .001g. It needs a lid so air movement doesnt affect the weight. Is that accurate enough? :) My 888 weighted 8lbs with axle, correct oil height, and Go-Ride crowns and stem.
He didn't say that all digital scales are inaccurate. Did you read his last sentence? :)

He's just saying that cheap digital equipment is no better than cheap meachanical equipment... and it can be worse. I always thought that was pretty funny, too - people assume, just because they're getting a precise digital readout, that the measurement must be precise.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Whoever gets a set of 888WCs first please check the oil hight then weigh them with both crowns and axle on a decent set of scales.
Thanks in advance.
Oh yeah and the Air 888s also please.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DHRracer said:
Actually with Ti you would be able to replace both steel springs with one Ti and have it be lighter than one steel
Thank you, captain obvious.

The marzocchi 888WC (the fork in question here) does not run a single Ti spring, it runs two. Also, you missed my point - which was that the 888 steel springs aren't that heavy to begin with, and the opportunity to save weight is minimal given their original weight. Opting to keep running two springs was a poor execution of their plan too.

Also, care to dawn on the rest of the world why you wouldn't run Ti fork springs? Afterall you seem like a pretty bright guy. :)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I want to know why the new retro Z1 comes w/ ETA and not ATA. Weak. Love my ETA but actually having active travel when it's lowered (a la TALAS) is such a nice feature...

edit: ohhh is ATA only on air forks? Hmmm

ETA is a spring cartridge, ATA is an air cartridge, thats about sums it up.

the z1 always was a coil sprung fork.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

The marzocchi 888WC (the fork in question here) does not run a single Ti spring, it runs two. Also, you missed my point - which was that the 888 steel springs aren't that heavy to begin with, and the opportunity to save weight is minimal given their original weight. Opting to keep running two springs was a poor execution of their plan too.

Also, care to dawn on the rest of the world why you wouldn't run Ti fork springs? Afterall you seem like a pretty bright guy. :)
What he is saying is that the better way to do this would be to make a single, higher rate spring in ti to take the place of the two steel ones. It is the only way to save any real weight, because, like you said, the steel springs are not heavy. He is not disagreeing with you, but he does know a thing or two about ti springs, like whether there is room in the fork for the wire guage required for a single ti spring, and if that guage would allow 8+ inches of travel with out coil bind. He's the only one that I know that has the ability to design 1 off ti springs and then make them if so desired.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I wonder if Ti springs will be available for the older 888s?
I would imagine that the ti springs would fit the current RC2X. It is the same fork. Unless Marz decided to make some change specifically to prevent spring swaps. I suppose that they might not sell ti springs even for tuning, just buy the fork with the correct springs and that is it...

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004

On older 888 you could save about 1/3 of a pound using a single Ti spring.If that is what you want do a search on the 999(I believe that was a Mojo project)Do to cost,a slight weight savings and the fact that Ti is very abrasive.Springs at that length will have some buckeling and will rub the inside of the stantions.There are coatings but add significantly to the cost.I would rather save some weight and money by removing it from the mid section.I have not been into a 06/07 888 yet.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
but its not just weight the the Ti springs saves. its also the feel. Ti just feels a whole lot better used as a spring then steel

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The only real difference is ti's more progressive, so it "feels" softer at first. And it's apparently a bit more lively.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The only real difference is ti's more progressive, so it "feels" softer at first. And it's apparently a bit more lively.
Not true. I know it goes against the 'accepted' here, but there is nothing about titanium that makes it any different than steel as far as its use as a spring.
You could argue that it is less sprung weight, but that is very minimal, and varies with coil movement of said spring.
I think that a lot of what people are feeling is a 'true' spring rate. Most, if not all, steel bike springs have a huge tollerance. Meaning that a '500#' steel spring could test out to be 430# or 570#. Because of the nature of the ti spring biz, they hold much tighter tollerances, thus your 500# ti spring will be 490# to 510# for example.

Ti is used for one of two reasons mainly.
1 'it is lighter'
It is less dense that steel, and has a similar or higher tensile strength, allowing less material to be used.
2 see 1
because of the properties above, ti can be used to make a spring that will fit within certain physical paramaters (free length, diameter, pitch, travel, etc) that might be impossible with most steels.

It also has a different natural frequency than steel. So, in an application where a steel spring might resonate, a ti spring with the same phisical properties (length, rate, diameter) will not.

Dont get me wrong, I have ti springs on all my bikes, but in this application, the ONLY advantage is weight. (OK there might be a scenario where a very high rate spring is needed and only ti could fit the free length and travel needed for the shock)

If you want to know about ti springs listen to DHRracer, he knows....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well after using Steel springs for YEARS. this is pretty much exactly what i felt when i switched to Ti Springs.