Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Probably been answered somewhere else, but why did DW decide to go with a linkage SP rather than a floating pivot/4 bar/ whatever?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
i actually like the look of the frames with the added brace on the top tube better... cleaner looking line

i knew that was planned to be added to the frames in the fall, but it is cool to see they added it on this production run.
I think it looks like an afterthought. The whole TT should be hydroformed flared at the TT ST junction IMO. Glad the hose/cable mounts have moved down the DT though.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Probably been answered somewhere else, but why did DW decide to go with a linkage SP rather than a floating pivot/4 bar/ whatever?
Not speaking for dw here, but from what I know - he had 2 designs he was working on. One was the next generation of the dw-link and the other was an entirely new shock linkage system utilized via a SP. How it was decided what design went where I dunno, but the DELTA System feels awesome. To me - it doesn't feel like a SP like say a pre-dw DHR.

I think it looks like an afterthought. The whole TT should be hydroformed flared at the TT ST junction IMO. Glad the hose/cable mounts have moved down the DT though.
From what I understand, this was an intended running change to the Revolt. I'm pretty sure in the future, the execution of this area of the bike will be refined as will other fancy bits... ;)

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Viv92 said:
Not speaking for dw here, but from what I know - he had 2 designs he was working on. One was the next generation of the dw-link
Which is the dw-link Turner DHR

and the other was an entirely new shock linkage system utilized via a SP. How it was decided what design went where I dunno, but the DELTA System feels awesome. To me - it doesn't feel like a SP like say a pre-dw DHR.
And this is the Revolt.

Viv92 said:
So to answer the original question, (and this has been talked about in a few interviews and on Ridemonkey / MTBR / Dirt too) The DELTA system's design and patent applications were part of the deal that the guys negotiated when I sold the company Evil Bikes to them. dw-link was never available to Evil for license, and it was not needed because they already had the DELTA system planned from the beginning.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Actually, the brace was in the original industrial design concepts for the bike, and removed later on. So in actuality, the first generation without the brace was an afterthought. I personally like the look of the bike with the brace.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
So dave.....if i throw evil stickers everywhere, wear an evil jersey, and persuade hundreds of rich kids to buy an evil....

Can i get one cheapz?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So dave.....if i throw evil stickers everywhere, wear an evil jersey, and persuade hundreds of rich kids to buy an evil....

Can i get one cheapz?
It's not up to me, I just do the suspension development and help with geometry! I don't even officially work for Evil directly, I'm an independent consultant when it really comes down to it. My relationship with Evil is the same as it is with Turner, Pivot, Ibis, Independent Fabrication, etc..

Dave

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Thats what they all say.....

Haha.

My god, saw one of these in the flesh yesterday, made me want to throw me oil pissing, no braking, super denting session off the side of a cliff.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Actually, the brace was in the original industrial design concepts for the bike, and removed later on. So in actuality, the first generation without the brace was an afterthought. I personally like the look of the bike with the brace.
Fair enough. Was it left off for weight reasons I wonder ?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Fair enough. Was it left off for weight reasons I wonder ?
Nah, that little tube and some weld barely weighs anything. It was more of an aesthetics issue and different peoples' preferences.

-ska todd

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i actually like the look of the frames with the added brace on the top tube better... cleaner looking line
as a fan of straight tubes, i'd prefer the tt runs straight to the st, with a separate brace tube (in lieu of the bend). cleaner aesthetically, and (i'd assume) cheaper to manufacture. purely subjective of course.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Wow... 63 degree HT angle? Is that pretty much standard now? I've been away from the Mtnbike sites for a while b/c I was pretty much set on the bikes I currently own (or didn't have the funds needed for another one).

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
as a fan of straight tubes, i'd prefer the tt runs straight to the st, with a separate brace tube (in lieu of the bend). cleaner aesthetically, and (i'd assume) cheaper to manufacture. purely subjective of course.
Agreed.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Will you guys be coming to the San Francisco Bay Area for demo or do any demos? I really want to try one of these bad boys out.
PM me and I'll pass you someone's contact to arrange a test ride. We don't have a demo program (yet...)

Wow... 63 degree HT angle? Is that pretty much standard now? I've been away from the Mtnbike sites for a while b/c I was pretty much set on the bikes I currently own (or didn't have the funds needed for another one).
Yep, and to think that a couple people have already asked me if they can run the slackener HT cups that have been shown around on the board here. Mine is currently set with the slack FlipChips and the steep headangle. My HTA sits right about 64° with a BB of just under 14". I personally couldn't ask for a better geom set. I'm already riding the bike over my head and have had to say "you need to slow down so you can work tomorrow".

-ska todd

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Im going to ask you all to start slagging the revolt off seriously, infact, hit all yours with hammers so they break and put me off, its just killing me inside!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
A couple of finished pics. Played around on it yesterday and it feels really good so far. Heading to the mountains this weekend for the real test.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Was going to DIablo, maybe Im going to WIndham. I like my Free, but I use this bike for resorts only/DH and this looks like a sweet option (XL option, adjustable geo, Evil!)

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Today was my third rainy Whistler day in a row and I'm liking my Revolt more each day. The traction is confidence inspiring and I just keep riding lines faster and cleaner even though it's getting pretty slick up here. Now I get to complain about my flat white paint. All this rain and Canadian sand and grit is taking it's toll on my gear.