Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Did he call it the worst designed linkage in the word or something like that? I was reading distilled and they quoted someone saying that after crashing over bars in race run but wasnt clear exactly who. This bucking thing keeps cropping up and its doing my tits in, i build my revolt today so i will find out soon enough. Has any of you guys experianced this?

Last edited:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
No one on here will admit to the Evil bucking bronko phenomenon, these sheep are too concerned with licking DW's arse crack with their fingers in their ears labelling anyone who holds their hands up to it a troll. Maybe they just don't like to admit it after spending $$$$$$$$'s on an expensive ejector seat. Next they'll say Stevie Smith doesn't know what he's talking about...

I've been reliably informed that the Dirt guys testing the Revolt have also had 'issues'... But will anyone listen??.....

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
from distilledmag's Schladming race report.:
"Canada’s premier downiller qualified well, but riding a bike with “the worst
linkage design in the world” he went over the bars in his race run to finish way down the pack. Apparently the bike he rides has some odd moments where the suspension
rebounds so fast it throws the rider over the bars!"

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
linkage design in the world” he went over the bars in his race run to finish way down the pack. Apparently the bike he rides has some odd moments where the suspension
Quod Erat Demonstrandum :rofl:

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Hi guys,

I've not bothered getting involved in this debate as I originally wrote it off as total bull(!).

I had one of the first Revolts to come into the UK (had no support strut so must have been one of the first batches). I've never run the RC4 on it, having planned to sell it on and running my trusty CCDB in its place. Having said that for the first 4 weeks (6 full days of riding or so) I ran my old standard tune DHX5 on there while the CCDB was in the states for a rebuild.

I've never found myself being pushed out the front door on it and, being someone who used to like rebound on the slow side, have actually sped it up considerably as the bike reacts much better that way.

Granted I have high and low speed rebound adjustment on the CCDB so maybe this has stopped the bucking but in the first month of riding, I still never experienced it.

If people are having trouble with this bike, I can only suggest that it's down to the shock. I'd expect Stevie Smith to have that dialled so maybe it's something fundamental to the shock design...?

Meh, all I know is that I haven't enjoyed riding my bike this much for ages!

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
If he did say that (and by the way its written it seems he did) then I wouldn't have thought he'll be riding an evil next year.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Smiths crash was shown on on freecaster's live feed. he got loose in the steep woods section, blew his feet of the pedals, rode his nuts on the stem for a bit while putting his front wheel in a huge hole which stopped him dead in his tracks before he flipped over the front end.

distilled took some liberties with context on that one

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
No one on here will admit to the Evil bucking bronko phenomenon, these sheep are too concerned with licking DW's arse crack with
ill admit that you can get bucked on the bike. i did the first few runs i got the frame....but that was because the shock setup was completely outa whack when i got my frame. after dialing it in, i have never had the problem since

but im also thinking that any bike with a outa whack suspension setup, can buck you :rolleyes:

distilled took some liberties with context on that one
the media lies?!??!

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
One, I wouldnt trust anything anyone says that puts a huge keyline around a already ****ty font like in the distilled mag. Second that's their quote not steve's and third. Bucking bronco...Come on. Lastly that sound's like sarcasm to me. "Apparently the bike he rides has some odd moments where the suspension rebounds so fast it throws the rider over the bars!" its not a trampoline.

It has nothing to do with buyers remorse. The bikes solid, cakes **** and has never even come close to being a ejector seat.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You sure the Distilled article isn't them just taking a pot-shot all the armchair engineers/speculators on here? I wouldn't blame them at all...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
You sure the Distilled article isn't them just taking a pot-shot all the armchair engineers/speculators on here? I wouldn't blame them at all...

either tha article is a failed attempt and tongue-in-cheek sarcasm (like you said) or those guys have some sort of hidden agenda.

this topic has been covered and was discredited pages ago.

:popcorn:

some serious bucking issues going on here for sure... Bromont HD Long 10.03.09 on Vimeo

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
i can see Lee and you having serious issues staying on the bikes. these things are dangerous. im selling mine to but a trek. hopefully it comes with the aerodynamic duckbill spoiler.

Which is also why Steve just said its the best bike out now. Steve went down because it's racing and **** happens. Sorta like Sam last year at world Champs. No bike on the planet coulda held him through that turn.

Last edited:

Stevie

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
I woke up this morning pissed when a fellow rider showed me what had been written on the internet.

I just wanted to set everyone straight on what happened in my run at Schladming.
I was getting loose in my run in the wet roots where I know I can go fast.
I missed my line when my front wheel slipped off a root.
My front wheel ended up in a huge hole which caused me to bar **** the stem for a few seconds.
I managed to hold on for a while, but finally flipped over the bars when I couldn't hold on any longer.
It has nothing to do with any of my suspension front or back.
I was just trying to get too rad in my run, I was pushing it. It's racing.

Please stop putting words in my mouth and if you read the article it doesn't quote me as making that statement. It quotes a mystery source.
I think the distilled magazine guys are unprofessional writers that need to get a life.
Aren't writers supposed to fact check all their articles. This is just poor journalism.
That is a bold statement to make about me when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Dante i dont know what your getting at with the just joined first post thing you did. I actually bought a revolt, built her up today and will be on the hill tomorow. I said this bucking thing is doing my tits in ie im sick of hearing it. I should know better than to listen to internet chat but it does keep cropping up. I should say though i have never heard anyone who actually owns one that isnt happy with it.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I woke up this morning pissed when a fellow rider showed me what had been written on the internet.

I just wanted to set everyone straight on what happened in my run at Schladming.
I was getting loose in my run in the wet roots where I know I can go fast.
I missed my line when my front wheel slipped off a root.
My front wheel ended up in a huge hole which caused me to bar **** the stem for a few seconds.
I managed to hold on for a while, but finally flipped over the bars when I couldn't hold on any longer.
It has nothing to do with any of my suspension front or back.
I was just trying to get too rad in my run, I was pushing it. It's racing.

Please stop putting words in my mouth and if you read the article it doesn't quote me as making that statement. It quotes a mystery source.
I think the distilled magazine guys are unprofessional writers that need to get a life.
Aren't writers supposed to fact check all their articles. This is just poor journalism.
That is a bold statement to make about me when you have no idea what you are talking about.
Thats the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I guess you dont watch CNN, MSNBC or the other news channels except for FOX.:)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
isn't distilled just a couple dudes from nyc masquerading as legit mtb journalists anyway? i like the part of the Schladming article where he writes he couldn't figure out "what's so special about [the track]" until he got to the woods. i'm sorry, did he miss the part about the 50 some odd rough corners and the steep grade, the fact that you just pedal out of the gate and hang on? you know, the sort of thing riders have been quoted saying in real magazines for the past 5 years?

The writing has all the shine, polish, and flourish of a high school newspaper (and that's being generous).

"Walking down I was constantly
thinking, well what’s so special about this, there must
be something, everyone loves it. Then I stumbled upon
the forest section, and it hit me why every one loved it
- it had more roots than a gay brothel. Now roots are
fairly tricky, but when you combine them with spiked
tires you’re asking for trouble. To then make it a 48
second long section is insane. I finally arrived upon the
most publicized part of the track, which was the final
section. There it’s all about hanging it out, getting loose
and stayin’ on. Sounds fairly simple, I mean it was only
a field, but when the field is steep, with wet grass and a
whole load of turns, things start to get tricky. With a big
drop just before the finish it added something different
for the riders, and you guessed it, they were hucking it,
laying down some sick moto whips."

Last edited:

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Could any of you guys that weigh around 200lbs let me know what spring you are riding? My large came with 300 which feels a little soft. I know this has been covered before but this thread is massive and i cant read through again, cheers, Ryzo

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I weigh in at 190 without gear and I'm riding a 375# spring. If I were to buy another ti spring I'd go for 400 or 425. I wish I had played with cheaper steel springs for a bit before I bought the ti spring that I have. 300# is definately too soft for you. If you give me your email address I'll send you a pdf that I just got from Evil that is also somewhere in here with recommended spring weights and shock settings.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, I wanna see a yellow one, and I also want to know pricing/spec info for the completes. Get to it! :)

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
Could any of you guys that weigh around 200lbs let me know what spring you are riding? My large came with 300 which feels a little soft. I know this has been covered before but this thread is massive and i cant read through again, cheers, Ryzo
Silverfish UK has the shock setup charts on their website, including spring weights:
For RC4:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-files/resources/79-7406cdc6994b298307e1454415e49c45.pdf
For DHX5:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-files/resources/80-d78efe33bcd9a2f4569c50f9562acdc1.pdf
For Vivid 5.1:
http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-files/resources/81-60ff72bd9c1cd56f48f669c01d26e2ae.pdf

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
That distilled article is brutal to try and read - looks like it was written by elementary school kids who haven't learned what a paragraph is yet.

If anyone is having problems with their bucking revolt, I am willing to buy it off you for a very low price considering the massive suspension design flaw.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
That distilled article is brutal to try and read - looks like it was written by elementary school kids who haven't learned what a paragraph is yet.
I said that more or less right away. Typography and page layout is a art these hacks have obviously not understood yet. But anyone with a DSLR and photoshop can be a designer/magazine/photographer these days. I bet their copy writer wrote alot of poems to girls in high school and since then has fancied himself a writer.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I said that more or less right away. Typography and page layout is a art these hacks have obviously not understood yet. But anyone with a DSLR and photoshop can be a designer/magazine/photographer these days. I bet their copy writer wrote alot of poems to girls in high school and since then has fancied himself a writer.

the guy who wrote that article and snapped the pics for distilled is from the UK (land of the bucking evil's). he covers a some races over there for a few other sites from time to time.... Charles Robertson.

he had a whole blog going from the schladming updated on distilled each day. Having been there myself, I have to say he is a bit clueless. i guess they will give anyone with an expensive camera press credentials these days. unfortunately that does not mean they are actually qualified journalists.

distilled should be a bit more selective of who they choose to write content for them.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
the guy who wrote that article and snapped the pics for distilled is from the UK (land of the bucking evil's). he covers a some races over there for a few other sites from time to time.... Charles Robertson.

he had a whole blog going from the schladming updated on distilled each day. Having been there myself, I have to say he is a bit clueless. i guess they will give anyone with an expensive camera press credentials these days. unfortunately that does not mean they are actually qualified journalists.

distilled should be a bit more selective of who they choose to write content for them.
ultimately it's their pdf, they output the article. Im sure if they were at all respectable they'd have a copy writer there to re-write articles when chuckleheads write ****.

Nicoco

Chimp
Aug 24, 2009
Hi guys

I'm thinking of a Ti spring for the RC4... do have any advice? it is said that it's not easy to have a good Ti spring for a Fox... what do u have?

By the way, I saw that some of you are hesitating for size, spring rate... I'm 192cm et weight 85kg, the bike is a Medium and the spring is a 350 lbs, a bit too soft maybe but works great!! (even on jumps) I think I'll put a 375 or 400 for the Ti-spring!!

Cheers!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I have an Obtainium ti spring on my RC4 and it actually seems to fit better than the stock spring. The stock spring was rubbing on the shock body and the ti spring does not.

Last edited: