Quantcast

2010 Formula THE ONES! Whats with the new design!!!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got new brakes today, worked out a deal with a buddy, not too sure on the technology involved with the new master cylinder set up, not real big on no pad contact dial???

Called Formula any aside of it being a forged caliper now apparently it has better heat dissapation etc..... Said it has more power than the 09s and the resevoir body in impact tests was alot stronger, not that I ever broke!

Whats the deal is this the new style of set ups for master cyclinders, and is it really that much better????

They were actually 208g with out the little red pad spacer shown in pic and the codes I took off were 330g so it was over half pound shaved off in brakes...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Seriously, those are the best brakes going. You should be stoked. The radial master cylinder is lighter and stiffer, like radial caliper mounting. The trick is maintaining enough reservoir capacity. All brakes will go this route eventually.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So you never boke your 09s.
Now u got the got the 10s , called Formula and they confirmed more strength blah , blah , blah and your sweating it?
Its gonna be ok dude, enjoy...:blah:
People confirm there products all the time doesnt always mean its as they say IE Toyota etc... So I figured asking the users as well for input would be a good idea!

But hey because a box of cereal says its good for you means I better buy it!!!:thumb:

No Ill get the technology and what went into it from manufacturers and Ill let real world reviews and replys from riders speak for them.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Seriously, those are the best brakes going. You should be stoked. The radial master cylinder is lighter and stiffer, like radial caliper mounting. The trick is maintaining enough reservoir capacity. All brakes will go this route eventually.
This is the answers Im looking for, I loved the 08s and 09s best brakes Id ran thats why I was curious as to why they changed. I first thought it was a cost issues and maybe problems from the lever adjust and pad contact control.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Word from the field is barely heavier than the R1s (lightest brakes available), great power and feel, no heat issues. Some people have reported sticky pistons resulting in drag with R1s so this could happen. If it does remove the pads, push the pistons almost all the way out, drip some Tri-Flow on'em, push'em back in, and wipe away excess before putting pads back in.
I assume they ditched the pad contact for weight and simplicity reasons. Maybe most people didn't use it.

Last edited:

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Been riding them for many months. Super happy with them, good power, good feel. I have not had to bleed them at all, and have not run into any issues. The tiny aluminum hardware is a it weird with the torx head... but since you don't want to over tighten you can actually use a regular allen.

Great brakes and bonus that they are so lightweight.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I had the 08's and once I got them dialed in - GREAT set of brakes. Bleeding was a pain but since 08' FormulaUSA has updated their bleed procedures to make this process MUCH easier:

http://formulabrakeusa.com/07-collection/the-one/

...scroll down to the bottom to check out the pdf for bleed procedures.

The 08 Formula ONE's had tons of power and modulation. Because I have the bike handling skills of a 4 year old I drag my rear brake frequently due to getting off line or coming into a corner too hot. In spite of this, I haven't been able to get these things to fade at all.

The Pad Contact Adjusters on the 08/09 levers worked well as did the reach adjuster. There are limits to what these adjusters can do since like with most brakes - lever throw will increase as the pads wear. Eventually you have to throw a new set of pads in. The reach adjuster is still present on the 2010 levers via an allen screw located inside the lever pivot. As far as why the PCS (Pad Contact Adjuster) was deleted from the 2010's I'll ask Chris to see what the deal is.

Customer Service is absolutely the best I've ever experienced. Charlie and Chris are usually the guys who answer the phones and either one of them will take the time to sit down and help figure out any issues you may have. If you need them to bleed your brakes - they will come back to you working flawlessly every time. Turnaround is also excellent.

EDIT: Currently awaiting deilivery of my 2010 ONE's. :D

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
The tiny aluminum hardware is a it weird with the torx head but since you don't want to over tighten you can actually use a regular allen.
Don't do that. Just go to the hardware store and buy torx wrenches
If the Formula Ones are the best, how come they're so rare?
They're pretty new. I bet by summer I'll see a pair. The Euro XC guys are gaga for R1s and I've yet to see a set in person.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
customer Service is absolutely the best I've ever experienced. Charlie and Chris are usually the guys who answer the phones and either one of them will take the time to sit down and help figure out any issues you may have. If you need them to bleed your brakes - they will come back to you working flawlessly every time. Turnaround is also excellent.

EDIT: Currently awaiting deilivery of my 2010 ONE's. :D
I talked to Charlie today and hes the one who gave me the low down and yeah Formula has always been top notch on stuff asked or needed which aside of some general stuff wasnt much but still they were cool about it.

I really liked the pad contact adjuster so I was disapointed to see it not on there thats all so I was curious.
Havent rode them yet the front needs to be bled but the rear is spot on.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
how easy is the bleed process with them?
internet reguration at its best. :rofl:

It's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else. Re read for those that don't get it: It's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else.

They are rare because they are only offered in the US through a distributor and only offer discounts/sponsorships to those that deserve it.

Super powerful,light and EASY to maintain and bleed if only...................

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
it's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else. Re read for those that don't get it: It's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else.
lmao!
Im a picture guy, as most guys!
We dont ask for directions, we always say we are reading it for the articles, we stare at chicks @$$e$, we even give them visuals and sign language!

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So, actual question here.

If the Formula Ones are the best, how come they're so rare? Wouldn't they be everywhere?
They are very expensive. Price for lever and caliper only are on par (or more) with complete (caliper, lever, two piece rotor and adapter) top end Hopes...or about twice the price of your main stream (hayes, avid, shimano) brakes. Once you look at 'real' prices of a complete system, the Formulas get closer to 3X the price or good main stream brakes, and 25% or more than other 'boutique' brands with 'all the options'.

There are also the threads on the pad wear/lever pull problems however much weight you want to assign to that.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
So, actual question here.

If the Formula Ones are the best, how come they're so rare? Wouldn't they be everywhere?
Maybe you're not looking hard enough. They're pretty common on the North Shore and Whistler. Most all of the shops here carry them.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I've seen 3 pairs in my life. One owned by a guy that likes rare high end stuff, one set at a shop in a working display (they rub haha) and at the industry shows.

Are they really that much better then say, Hopes or Avids? What makes them better?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've seen 3 pairs in my life. One owned by a guy that likes rare high end stuff, one set at a shop in a working display (they rub haha) and at the industry shows.

Are they really that much better then say, Hopes or Avids? What makes them better?
On very long runs they heat up much less than Avids and Hopes. Most everyone I know that rides a lot of long runs around here have switched over to the Ones after getting sick of dealing with overheated brake issues. Tram laps in Champery are 3000 foot very technical and steep runs and very few brakes deal with it well. The Ones are great for that application but I am biased by the way.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, I've used them for the last 3 years for the same reasons as buckoW stated. I'll be looking at the new ones for my next bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Oh hell just ano it blue and call it a floating point piston dial! :thumb:
Either way I kind of liked the adjuster it was good for setting engagement for differnt rides. or adjusting for the pad wear to keep it feeling similair.
Oh well its all about stopping anywase so as long as they keep the bite thats cool.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I was told the new MC was to help alleviate the lever issue on the previous model.

Mainly it being utter pig to bleed properly, big lever throw inconsistency with pad wear and dodgy adjusters.

I got shot of mine about 8 months ago now. Utterly fed up with them. The UK importer just didn't seem to have the spares backup he needed from Formula. Months without any stock at a time, no spare pads available, etc.

Mine went back twice, new lever on one, new caliper on the other, rebleeds (with the tricks of overfilling the MC), still always felt the same. Gave up in the end.

Chucked some Hope Tech 4's on the bike instead. More powerfull, adjusters actually adjust, easily available spares and most importantly, they work. Also on the original set of pads still! I'd have gone through 4 or 5 sets with the Formulas.

I clearly had a bad set, as my Oro's on my little bike are great, and still going fine after 3 years. I've read quite a few similar stories with problems like mine, so they really were a bit of a hit or miss brake. Still maintain though, fresh bleed & fresh pads they felt awesome. Shame they didn't stay that way.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
But hey because a box of cereal says its good for you means I better buy it!!!:thumb:

The Lucky Charms on our counter that the wife bought for St. Patty's says "Whole Grain" with a big, fat green check mark on the front. That was comedy.;)

I had the 08's and once I got them dialed in - GREAT set of brakes. ....

Watching you miss boatloads of runs at the Open while bleeding was painful.:shocked:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I know a handful of people with them. They're legit. They're also a legit pain in the a** to bleed (first hand). One of the riders ended up going back to Avids, the rest have had good luck and love them. Personally, the brakes are too rich for my blood.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
Don't do that. Just go to the hardware store and buy torx wrenches.
I have the right size torx, but it lives somewhere at the bottom of my toolbox. But I am talking about the bar clamp screws, which I leave SUPER loose (for crashing and running into things). Sometimes out and about you just have to make it happen...

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
They are very expensive. Price for lever and caliper only are on par (or more) with complete (caliper, lever, two piece rotor and adapter) top end Hopes...or about twice the price of your main stream (hayes, avid, shimano) brakes. Once you look at 'real' prices of a complete system, the Formulas get closer to 3X the price or good main stream brakes, and 25% or more than other 'boutique' brands with 'all the options'.

There are also the threads on the pad wear/lever pull problems however much weight you want to assign to that.
The pads are also expensive and not as well stoked by dealers.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
internet reguration at its best. :rofl:

It's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else. Re read for those that don't get it: It's easy if you follow instructions like any thing else.

They are rare because they are only offered in the US through a distributor
funny, thats completely opposite from what i hear :think:

and plenty of online stores have them

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I think eliminating the contact adjuster gets them less sued by SRAM as well.
Actually Im pretty sure I remember reading somewhere when the Juicy came out, Sram had worked with Formula for the design, in other words, they were made by Formula...Can anyone confirm this?

It would explain why the Juicy were so good at that time and extremely reliable compare to the piece of junk the Elixirs are...or anything else Sram has release over the last couple of years for that matter.;)

I cant comment on the 09 The One but had a lap on the 2010 and could not believe how good they were and I highly doubt the company would have deliberately made them lesser good just to safe some cash...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I love my 09s. If I had the money right now I'd buy some 10s to put on my dh bike and relegate the 09s (even though they're still fine) to my xc bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thats good to hear, I ran the oro biancos and then the 0nes in 08 and been on them ever since but with the economy and such it made me a little eery as the pad contact was pretty damn slick and kind of threw me off that they changed it...
I bled the front it had a couple of air bubles in it (no big deal) and did the rears as I shortened the lines.
I never had a issue with bleeding the old ones at all I thought it was fast and simple PERIOD! But these bleed REALLY easy and its super easy the way hte mastercylinder closes off to keep the pistons out to fill a little more in there for faster engagement and then when pulling the lever in to release a bit of fluid so it doesnt lock up when it gets hot was super fast at the caliper.

Im impressed at the eas of use as of right now maintenance is SUPER simple and idiot proof...

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
I bought a set of the 08's when they were in their first few months of release. They were the worst brake I have ever used.

For starters, the install. There was very little pad clearance for the rotor to fit through. So with even the slightest warp would leave you with skimming or dragging. Then there was the next thing you notice, the lever pull and feel. The throw was huge, forcing me to put the lever much further from the bar than I'm happy with. And the contact point was spongy, no matter how long you spent on the bleed. There is of course the FCS dial (Feel control system), which a lot of you seem to be confusing with pad contact adjust. This feature did very little to the pad contact point, it's use was to give you either a spongy feel, or a slightly more spongy feel. There is a little spongy feel between these two too.

That over, I just ignored those negatives and went on to see how they rode. Bed in period was short. But there wasn't any real power that I could find. The lever just seemed to be spongy all the way through and not noticeably improve power as you pulled harder. I ended up using these as a two finger brake! Then of course the lever pull consistently became further as I went through the pads. Which also seemed too much of a regular occurrence.

They'd been back to Formula to fix the bleed, returned the same as before and soon after were sold along with all the spare pads I had. I then went to SLX brakes, and then Saint M810's for more power. Both the Saint and SLX were noticeably better, more powerful brakes.

Then, after a happy marriage to the Saints I became addicted to grams. Shaving every last bit of weight here and there. Yet holding on to my heavy brakes for the power and feel that I loved. In the end, after a few very good reviews from friends on the new The Ones and R1s I finally gave in and ordered a set.

The levers are fitted with a T-15 Torx key, I have one of these in my torque wrench box so that's not a problem. The T-5 used for the lever reach is another thing though. So I had to buy one of those. Small sacrifice there, though.

The lever pull is great, as is the contact feel. Solid, but not wooden. Then the pad spacing, a dramatic improvement! I can easily align my brakes now and have nearly enough space for a warped rotor to pass through. A warped, non Formula rotor too!

One the bike the power is very noticeable, even with a rotor with minimal surface area (Alligator Cirrus), the bed in is again super short and again at the sacrifice of pad life. However they just seem to live up to their hype now. Lever has yet to differ in travel. They've yet to overheat, they're still impressing me with more than Saint power, and they still feel great.

The downsides: The lever has some play in it due to the design. Which I'm sure will get worse. But I have a few ideas on how to remedy this. And the master cylinder also has a little flex at the clamp zone too. But that's not much of a problem really as the power is still much more than sufficient.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hmm never had an issue with the 08s did know a few posts of people that did and the same thing they couldnt get them to engage hard.
CZould be worse I did a 6k single track descent at slate creek lookout and lost my hayes brake (rear) right in the middle of the ride on a stupid steep technical chute that was alot of the run!
I retorted to the right foot on the rear tire to help keep it under control. Killed a set of 5:10s sold the brakes and went to Formulas and NEVER looked back.
I had only used mono 6tis before that and loved those brakes, only brake till the formulas Id found that could handle the weight of hte rider/bike and keep it under control on long steep descents.

Glad to hear you like the 2010s thats pretty cool especially considering the unfortunate issues you had on the 08s that made you swap to another!
Thats cool! :thumb:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Just picked up a set of 10s and there awesome everybit as powerfull as the saints i had before only better feel and less than half the weight. Only down side i can see is the price, at €250 an end they are pretty spendy. Glad i got a great deal on them also forumla uk have great customer service. So happy buying them as i know if i have a problem i can't solve myself they will be at the other end of the phone to help out. Can't wait to see how they hold up durability wise.