Quantcast

2010 NHL Playoffs Thread

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay the "real" season is about to begin!! Who's going to take a sip out of Lord Stanley's Cup this year? Sabres? Capitals - do they have the goaltending? Coyotes? Will the Sharks tank yet again this year? Red Wings? Will Toews and Kane lead the Blackhawks to the title? Or will Sid the Kid go for the double with Olympic Gold and the Stanley Cup in 2010, making it back to back Cups for the Penguins??

What say Ye Monkeys?

Cheers,

Mark

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Red wings are getting healthy and playing with a lot of momentum, don't count us out!!

They've been on a roll for the last 15+ years. Another cup would be great, but I will be satisfied with a very solid showing and a run deep into the playoffs.

In the east I predict that its the caps or the devils.

In the west I will be a homer and call for the wings, but the blackhawks look tough this year too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Do the Blackhawks have what it takes between the pipes to make the full run to the Cup? Niemi the go to guy?

I wonder about the Jose Theodore/Semyon Varlmove tandem in Washington. Are those cup worthy goaltenders?

Jimmy Howard in Detroit?

Can Martin Brodeur show the world that his craptastic game in the Olympics against Team USA was a fluke, and backstop the Devils to glory?

Or will the Sabres get timely scoring and ride Ryan Miller to the finals?

Or will Marc Andre Fleury state that he was the forgotten "third" on that Team Canada squad by backstopping the Pens to back to back cups?

Should be interesting!?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Jimmy Howard in Detroit?
I can't find the article I read yesterday, but since the olympic break he has something like a 2.23 GAA and was something like 22-3 over the last 25 games, it may not have been playoff pressure, but the wings were OUT of the playoffs pretty late into the season and with strong play up front and good goaltending they made a push to the 5 seed. They also have a veteran backup who has a LOT of play off experience, he hasn't played as well recently, but Chris Osgood has hall of fame numbers and can mentor Jimmy, as well as step in if Jimmy has problems.

So yes, I'm confident :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the flyers had no problem with the devils during the season......

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
The Caps have to be the scariest team hands down. Even when their goaltending is not there they just put up 6 goals.

The Pen's D is horrible this year and if they get past the second round I will be pleasantly surprised. Their scoring is going to have to jump big time with Fleury struggling and 4 forwards dressed as D. They better wake up.

Hawks stand no chance with Hossa on their team. End of story.

The Sharks will choke again this year.

How about the Vancouver? I think they are going to make it past the second round finally.

Phoenix and Wings is going to be a great series.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wings are healthy and on a roll...definitely hoping Phoenix rides their emotional high to an upset.

Caps have the offense, but goal is just as dodgy as the Hawks. That being said, I have faith in my guys. Strongest 4th line in the league...a few guys stepping up big at the right time...we have reason to be optimistic. JSG, watch out for Hossa...I think he is feeling the heat and will step up big.

Nucks will choke again, Lou will be out on his ass soon. Most over rated goalie in the league.

Glad to see no Rangers. Eastern teams will beat hell out of each other, then have no horses left for the Final. Could this be Martys last year?

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Will the Sharks tank yet again this year?
I sure hope so.

Predictions:

East
1 - Caps in 5
2 - Flyers in 6
3 - Sabres in 7
4 - Pens in 6

West:
1 - Sharks in 5 :(
2 - Hawks in 6
3 - Nucks in 7
4 - Wings in 5

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Anyone think that Ottawa can do damage? They seem to be flying under the radar a bit?

Goaltending too suspect for them to be for real?
I think Elliott will wake up and realize where he is.

Just think of how many goalies this year have not played a game in the playoffs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
East:

Washington in 6
Flyers in 7
Bruins in 6
Sens in 6

West

Sharks in 5
Hawks in 7
Kings in 7
Phoenix in 6

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sabres can't do it on Goaltending alone. They need to score goals and that would require the injured to get heal up fast and stay healthy, right now we have Connolly, Vanek, Kaleta, and Hecht questionable going into the playoffs. Our defense is kind of lacking against the big guns. I am rooting for the Sabres but we shall see....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sabres can't do it on Goaltending alone. They need to score goals and that would require the injured to get heal up fast and stay healthy, right now we have Connolly, Vanek, Kaleta, and Hecht questionable going into the playoffs. Our defense is kind of lacking against the big guns. I am rooting for the Sabres but we shall see....
Sounds like Conoly and Hecht will be good to go though - that'll help a bit.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Agreed...come at Miller in waves, shootshootshootreboundreboundrebound, clog the net, something will get by him. And he cant score...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Sabres should be able to beat the Bruins but if they m,ake it past round 2 it will be a lucky streak. Torres needs to start getting some goals!

Capitals will probably make it all the way unless some injuries pop up.

i'm going to game one tomorrow, can't wait! Also have tickets for game seven if there is one.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I'm pulling for the Pens, but I'm not holding my breath. Malkin & Gonchar need to get healthy. And Fleury hasn't been consistent all season.

My money is on the Caps going all the way.

Playoffs are the only time of the year Ill watch other random hockey games besides Pens games. I love playoff hockey.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Paging Marc Andre Fleury... Paging Marc Andre Fleury...

Neil and Ruutu just scored bad angle goals on you.