Quantcast

2010 Schwalbe line up!

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Meh - when you dont have a tyre or rim issue now and then you haven't found the limits. Its downhill - if you dont find the limits of the tyres you aren't going to do very well.
I'm just gobsmacked that I've taken nearly 800gm off my tyres and not lost any performance. Hell - 2 years ago, 1250-1350gm tyres, 350gm tubes, now 840gm tyres, 25gm valve cut out of a schwalbe tube, rim tape still elctrical tape same as always. I've also gotten better rolling, better mud clearing and better performance 90% of the time. Maxxis make fine tyres but these suit me better.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Meh - when you dont have a tyre or rim issue now and then you haven't found the limits. Its downhill - if you dont find the limits of the tyres you aren't going to do very well.
I'm just gobsmacked that I've taken nearly 800gm off my tyres and not lost any performance. Hell - 2 years ago, 1250-1350gm tyres, 350gm tubes, now 840gm tyres, 25gm valve cut out of a schwalbe tube, rim tape still elctrical tape same as always. I've also gotten better rolling, better mud clearing and better performance 90% of the time. Maxxis make fine tyres but these suit me better.
Agread!
Aggressive riders do well on them as well as the typical guy its just a good tire for the manhandlers as well..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im running a 2.35 MM TN on back and a 2.5 MM GG on the front. I have them at 35/30 psi on Flow rims. Ill have to try a 2.35 on the front.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im running a 2.35 MM TN on back and a 2.5 MM GG on the front. I have them at 35/30 psi on Flow rims. Ill have to try a 2.35 on the front.
Thats alot of PSI Kntr, If your bikes chattering and not tracking a bit try and lower the PSI a few or back off the preload or comp on your suspension a tad... I run my suspension real supple as well as 28/26 psi and its for me what is the perfect PSI. I can deviate and not gain a thing... I will inflate a smidge on rear for jagged rocks and rock drops to more rocks but 90% of all is 28.
Congrats on the race BTW, cant wait to get back to Socal next week Ill finish out and do the winter series so race season isnt over...

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
hmmm.. Stevie riding some protos?

what the heck does the blue part say? 2'oclock on the front tire.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I recently fitted up some Big Betty TN 2.35 front and rear and am really liking them. They have a really reassuring transition across the tread and are excelling in the current dry and dusty conditions in the Pacific NW right now. I'm running them for the Enduro race at Crankworx tomorrow so we'll see how they fair on the roots and rocks.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I recently fitted up some Big Betty TN 2.35 front and rear and am really liking them. They have a really reassuring transition across the tread and are excelling in the current dry and dusty conditions in the Pacific NW right now. I'm running them for the Enduro race at Crankworx tomorrow so we'll see how they fair on the roots and rocks.
Good luck! :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Bully, don't know how or why you run such low pressure. I'm glad you like it, but 30-35 range has treated me just fine and ha plenty of traction.

Jon-boy, I ran a 2.35 tn Betty rear in whistler on a bottlerocket a few years back and it was a solid tire all over the hill.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bully, don't know how or why you run such low pressure. I'm glad you like it, but 30-35 range has treated me just fine and ha plenty of traction.

Jon-boy, I ran a 2.35 tn Betty rear in whistler on a bottlerocket a few years back and it was a solid tire all over the hill.
aside of putting a rock straight through the tread when e rode (hich ould have happend to any tire at that hit) it seemed to work fine I kept my lines fast and unorthadox in and out of ruts and cornering them at full speed . Dont know but 28 seems to be a sweet spot for sure. Any more and it feels a bit off less and ith my weight it rolls a little...

Either way go pump your rubber to perfect whistler PSI!!! Im a bit jealouse 2 times this season for ya!!! Congrats ...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
MM actually took a conscious change in riding style for me. Typically I guide my bike very lightly, ease it into a gentle slide and hold it at that. This didn't work that well for me with the MM's - I need to aggressively "force" the tyres, really push them into the ground. I know when I get it right because the make the most awesome roar as they rip chunks out of the ground and throw roost - something I could never do with Minions. Next time you go out, come in over the front, try REALLY countersteering on the way in, pushing on the inside bar and outside pedal, force your head and hips to point where you want to go and haul the bike around and out of the corner as your weight transfers onto the rear wheel. Even try and pop into a manual on the way out. If you dont love MM after one run of this then perhaps its not the tyre for you.
That is exactly what I love about those tires.

My favorite combo right now is a Dirty Dan front and a Muddy Mary rear, both 2.35 Goey Gluey.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Gonna give the 2.5 single ply ggc Mary front and 2.35 dual ply tn Mary rear combo their debut at Silverstar tomorrow, and will be rolling them by Whistler Friday, with a shot at the Shore next Wednesday. Life doesn't suck.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
Bullcrew

I noticed something in the latest Dirt mag with the Yeti team, Gwin and Schusler, hitting Dirt's test track. They were running Big Betty fronts and Muddy Mary rear. Does this seem like an odd combo to you? as I thought the MM would be the grippier tyre and BB faster rolling. care to comment

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew

I noticed something in the latest Dirt mag with the Yeti team, Gwin and Schusler, hitting Dirt's test track. They were running Big Betty fronts and Muddy Mary rear. Does this seem like an odd combo to you? as I thought the MM would be the grippier tyre and BB faster rolling. care to comment
Hell they are faster than I am by alot , so Im sure theres something to it but yeah it looks a bit off.
I ride a mid rise bar drop crowns and my stance on my bike unweights the front a bit so I prefer a nobbier tire up there. If it was hard pack and more bermed and groomed Id think it OK but yeah I heard that and with those boys killing it Im not keen as to why but preference I guess...

I know Kovarik is MM front and rear as is the other guy rocking Whistler right now.
Ill give it a shot on a harder pack set up and see what it handles like, now Im curious.

Ill take a look and give it a shot what the he!!...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I wasn't a fan of the Big Betty on the front when I ran it there, though it was dandy in the rear. I certainly wouldn't run it in the front with the Mary rear.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I wasn't a fan of the Big Betty on the front when I ran it there, though it was dandy in the rear. I certainly wouldn't run it in the front with the Mary rear.
Kind of the thoughts...
Usually the back being weighted you can get away with a skinnier tire with a less aggressive tread and the front a bit bigger for plowing through and more aggresive treaf to grab a little extra...

Adam when are you off to the great Noth

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Yo Bullcrew, Are you running MM's in the dry? I generally run my triple compound WW's when its nice and dry but they get a bit sketchy when things get wet, Ive got a set of GG BB's and a set of GG MM's so i think i may try running the MM's more often, any experience to share?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yo Bullcrew, Are you running MM's in the dry? I generally run my triple compound WW's when its nice and dry but they get a bit sketchy when things get wet, Ive got a set of GG BB's and a set of GG MM's so i think i may try running the MM's more often, any experience to share?
Muddy Marys GG 2.5 FR or DH 70% of the time I occasionally run a big betty rear for peddaling stuff (actually like it for a harder mid loam on the back) but alost exclusive MM. Winter time when its NASTY I get excited REAL excited, I get to break out my weapons "DIRTY DANS" Damn I love that tire... NASTY looking grabs small kids and animals on the side of the course as you pass by for extra traction and is a earth bound BUZZ saw.... I swear by that tire in any crud whatsoever!!!

-Snow - Mud - Semi Hard pack - water crossings (not that that counts :D) - and actually does good on wood ladders and wet roots... GG rocks.
I dont have a ton of time on the wills, been in the NW for 2 years with partial winters in Socal till this month where Ill be there permanently again and will pop several more hours on them.. Agerad they are a bit loose on any incliment weather or pebbley loose over hard. BUT if its dry and alot of hard pack they are fast...... Especially as a rear tire...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What I dont understand is Ive been beating the Muddy Marys and had no flats... while riding. I have had 2 flats, while the bike was sitting. The bike was in the car for 7 hours driving to Silver Star. I pull the bike out the van and the front is flat. Then at Whistler they pull the bike off the rack and the front tire is flat. I dont have any clue why. Any ideas?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What I dont understand is Ive been beating the Muddy Marys and had no flats... while riding. I have had 2 flats, while the bike was sitting. The bike was in the car for 7 hours driving to Silver Star. I pull the bike out the van and the front is flat. Then at Whistler they pull the bike off the rack and the front tire is flat. I dont have any clue why. Any ideas?
1- are you running stans
2- what rims and are you using rim strips
3- when you seat the tire try and use stans on the outside of the bead instead of soap it bonds it better

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
1- are you running stans
2- what rims and are you using rim strips
3- when you seat the tire try and use stans on the outside of the bead instead of soap it bonds it better
2 cups of stans
Flow rims
Stans yellow tape
soap when mounting

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ace yellow tape use a cut 20" ultra light tube and use stans instead of the soap and water...

Yellow tape can have a leak as well or a raised spot that allows to it leak a little over time just sitting,,
If I run a strip over the tape then there is no real weight savings. I might as well go back to tubes. I use to run Maxxis Ulta Lites and usually only had 1-2 flats a year. I can actually tell the difference in weight. My buddys are pedaling in areas that Im just coasting and Im gaining on them. Its crazy. They are running heavy tubes and rims, while Im running the light rims and tubeless. I noticed it today a ton.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
How accurate are the weights posted on Schwalbe's website?

Can someone provide me "actual" weights for

Muddy Mary 2.35 & 2.5 GG
BB 2.4 GG & TC?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
2.35 GG freeride casing, snakeskin - 840gm
2.35 gg DH casing - 1210gm
2.5 TC DH casing - 1270gm
Same scales Minion dhf 2.5ST - 1280gm
Thats some of them! So as far as I can tell they are pretty close, my (1) 2.35 is over, but 60 gm variation in dh tyres isn't uncommon.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Any word on 2011 Schwalbe stuff? It looks like rumors of a "tubeless ready" carcass are out there.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
bump up..

where is bullcrew's review of new 2011 tires? I tried to find the new thread.. I guess it was deleted..

bullcrew, can you post your review of the new tires..

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
I have been using a set of Dirty Dans with the centre knobs cut down a little, in conditions ranging from outright mud to soft/tacky. I have never experienced grip quite like it. In one particular right hander that I usually have to break really hard into, I just scrubbed a little speed and then leaned the bike over. The Dans dug in and spat me out of the corner faster than I have ever done in the dry. Maybe it's the little side knobs that jut out almost at 90 degrees to the rest of the tire. I will be sad to take these tires off when the trails dry up for the summer.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
So my Minions are nearly toast now, a depleted personal stock, and what with Maxxis tyre prices in the UK going through the roof, i'm looking for some replacements.

I've got the Wetscreams still going strong so for now i'm purely after some dry weather tyres. I've been looking on CRC for some replacements, but i'm confused as hell about the different types of model & the descriptions are junk as well.

I think the Wicked Will or Big Betty are probably the replacement, but which one??

The choices we have are:
Wicked Will DH Tyre - Gooey Gluey
Wicked Will DH Tyre - Triple
Wicked Will DH Tyre - VertStar

Big Betty DH Tyre - VertStar
Big Betty Evolution Heavy Duty - S-Skin

Predictably the Schwalbe site is also next to useless, offering even more contradictory information. At this rate i'm just going to buy some more Maxxis.

Can it really be that hard to provide a uniform spec across the range??