Quantcast

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have raced on this MTN many times in the past. Won a few too. After helping put on races and building course on it over the years, I can say I know this MTN very well. I think it is a great MTN to have the US Nationals Champs at… The MTN is a great mixture of both Snow Shoe and Diablo. It also has one of the biggest and longest rock gardens in the East to ever to be put in a race run. Now if that will make the new race course we will see. The MTN is one of the highest in NC and the Town sits right at the top next to the ski resort. It will be a great venue for this event. Plus this is just what the South needs to help boost DH racing. The South has had its ups and downs when it comes to DH racing and it’s time for a change. I sure welcome that change and thanks to those that made this happen!!!!:thumb:

Cecil

Last edited:

dirtboyracer

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
How is Timberline Resort? Apparently they're hosting collegiate nats there and I've never heard of it since I'm a west coaster

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Gutted. I hoped it might be somewhere on the West--preferably Northstar since they reportedly put a bid on it--so this is a disappointment.

Plus, it doesn't seem like the south is much of a hotbed for racing (forgive me if that's not the case, but I've scarcely heard a thing from that scene) and the date seems awful too--I'm guessing that the the picking of the Worlds team will likely be a nonsense affair since there will be no race to determine it.

Lastly, separating gravity for the other disciplines seems like a poke in the eye from USAC...if not an act of sabotage. Can someone reclaim gravity racing from them since it obviously means nothing to them? I really don't think they'd miss it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'm kinda psyched. I know nothing about the venue yet but I'm sure I'll learn. Have a lot of friends in NC (well, I hope they consider me a friend) so it'll be cool to be in their back yard. Been wanting to go there for a while and here's my excuse.

Can't believe it - -I checked the USAC site a couple of times earlier today expecting to see an announcement but just checked too early I guess.

on one hand it'll be nice to attend (if i qualify) a national champ closer to home.

on the other, 830 ft of vert is pretty small. the trail builders may be the best, and churn out a quality course, but you still only have that vertical to work with.

if it weren't for the boondocks location, Whiteface would have been an awesome venue for a National Champs. Not to be a fan boy, but I was thoroughly impressed and challenged by their 5K race. Riding/racing the course, and going up on the gondola, really gave it a World Cup quality feel.

It is what it is, and I'm sure Beech Mtn and all the Southern Atlantic locals will make this a super fun event.

I agree that US does lag in dh and cycling in general. but i don't blame USAC, it's the culture. This is a land where folks enjoying watching mindless steroid laden meatheads wearing spandex shorts pummel each other running preset routes "playing" a game where you actually play with your hands and not your foot.

cycling and soccer (football) are among top 5s in europe/rest of the world in terms of sports. in the US, it's just a tiny blip. there will never be the feeder system in place to bring up potential talent.

AND there is no "key" show-case resort/venue for downhill in the US. For example, GB has Ft William, CA has MSA, etc. The WC has been held at those places time and time again for a reason. It may be financial, may be political, but they do have the reputation behind them that dh racers/enthusiasts think, "World Cup Quality" when events are held there. There is NOTHING like that in the US. All the big name resorts, Diablo, Highland, Solvista, Northstar, are really only dominant in their respective local spheres. Ask an European dh racer about any of those places, and they'll look at you blankly.

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Plus, it doesn't seem like the south is much of a hotbed for racing (forgive me if that's not the case, but I've scarcely heard a thing from that scene) and the date seems awful too--I'm guessing that the the picking of the Worlds team will likely be a nonsense affair since there will be no race to determine it.
I have to disagree here, as I have put on many races here in the South. The 2 big problems with the South are; (The Ski Resorts having gotten behind the sport of gravity riding as much as the rest of the US and the race promoters here can’t seem to work together to create a good race series). In the Past we had the Cane Creek Cup. It was a mixture of DH, DS, and XC racing. About 6 to 7 races a year all over the South East. Boy were those fun days!!!! Then no more. Don’t know the big reasons behind that one. A season later a few of us DHers decided to start up MADRA. The Mid Atlantic Race Association. That is what it was supposes to be, a Association of Gravity Racers helping make decisions to help keep the sport growing in the South. Well it ended up being 7 of us racers putting on a Race series. It went really well for about 2 seasons and then another group came in trying to start another race series when another one didn’t need to be formed. Let’s just say Sponsors got divided up and there was a lot of fighting going on about who’s races series was the best to attend. Well, it ended series racing in the South and the chance for it to keep growing. About 3 years ago I decided to start a race up at Paris Mt here in Greenville with the help of the local SORBA Group. No easy race course by any means. I feel it help light a fire under a lot of people wanting better gravity racing back in the South. The next year we had the boys up at Hawks Nest put on some great races and have done this the past few years. Beech Mtn stepped up too and put on some fun races. Both were series races, but once again we had to groups fighting to get all the racers to their races. Along with that is some other great places to race in the South along with people stepping up to put on races there and doing great jobs. I feel the main reason the South hasn’t grown like the rest of the US in gravity racing isn’t because of our venues (some of the best I have raced in the US), but because the racers are not getting all together to meet the same command goal. (Few can accomplish great things, but many can accomplish even more!!!!)

Just my thoughts after being around racing and helping put on races here in the South East for the last 13 to 14 years.

Cecil

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I'm kinda psyched. I know nothing about the venue yet but I'm sure I'll learn. Have a lot of friends in NC (well, I hope they consider me a friend) so it'll be cool to be in their back yard. Been wanting to go there for a while and here's my excuse.

Can't believe it - -I checked the USAC site a couple of times earlier today expecting to see an announcement but just checked too early I guess.
Oh Hellz Yeah! I'm totally looking forward to hanging out!

I have no idea what the tracks for nationals will look like, but here are a few features from 2009...

one of mulestar rippin' it up.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
after worlds, and after interbike ?

also... props for scheduling it after the high school and college summer vacations.

anyone recall what a hit the sugar mtn nationals were in terms of the number of racers (think almost no one)... this one should be even smaller.

Go USA

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
on the other, 830 ft of vert is pretty small. the trail builders may be the best, and churn out a quality course, but you still only have that vertical to work with.
Diablo only has 880ft to work with and people seem to drop their panties over their tired-out US Open course

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's national champs. If the course is too easy. You're not going fast enough.

Get positive, contribute to progressing the sport and help insure gravity is successful. Then maybe you'll see Vail pick up a nats or world cup again.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Well, as a NC resident I'm of course somewhat biased, but I really do think Beech has the potential for being a solid venue for Nats. As some have already mentioned, if thoughtfully designed, the terrain can make for an exceptional track. Plenty of big rock features to use, and there are some steep sections throughout. The lift can run pretty quick, and if the scene/vibe has any semblence of what happened at Hawksnest this past season, it will be epic. Put it this way, my uncle who spends the whole riding season in Whistler and the PNW said the Hawksnest races offered the best scene he has ever experienced. Cannons, costumes, cowbells, fireworks, cheap bourbon, Schlitz, amateur DH rap songs, etc...It was pro.

My only concern is available lodging, but there are a ton of rental properties around Beech that could probably be had for a deal in September.

I for one am hoping for a grand experience.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
if it weren't for the boondocks location, Whiteface would have been an awesome venue for a National Champs. Not to be a fan boy, but I was thoroughly impressed and challenged by their 5K race. Riding/racing the course, and going up on the gondola, really gave it a World Cup quality feel.
Agree. The difference between the two is night and day.

I officially extend a open invitation to Windrock. Those of you driving east on I40 or South on I81 will drive right by. We have 2300ft of vert with some runs over 8 minutes at full race pace.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
but only has 830' of vert :rolleyes:
Look I'm pretty sure Bromont has less vert than this Beech MTN. It's not the vert, but how it is used. Did you think the Bromont course was not World Cup worthy because of the small vert?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
A couple videos from neighboring NC mountains-

The Dirty Bird DH, with complimentary Dirty Bird Rap

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/4415654" width="400" height="230" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/4415654">Dirty Bird Race Promo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1165979">Michael Thomas</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
( Dirty Bird Race Promo on Vimeo )

And a go pro video of sugar mountain, only 10-15 minutes from Beech that has a rowdy downhill track.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/162489/

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Look I'm pretty sure Bromont has less vert than this Beech MTN. It's not the vert, but how it is used. Did you think the Bromont course was not World Cup worthy because of the small vert?
i made that comment because he said its the highest ski mountain in the east.....but only has 830' of vert. just thought that is kinda funny. and like i said later, Diablow only has 880' of vert and people seem to love that US Open course

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
As some have already mentioned, if thoughtfully designed, the terrain can make for an exceptional track. Plenty of big rock features to use, and there are some steep sections throughout . . . .
Features and layout can overcome a lot. Little ol' Beacon Hill in Spokane has less than 400 feet of vertical and less-than-2-minute runs; not nationals caliber by any stretch. BUT - - it continues to be a favorite for people all over the Pacific Northwest because of how the builders have made the most of what is there.

robert716

Chimp
Feb 22, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I have to disagree here, as I have put on many races here in the South. The 2 big problems with the South are; (The Ski Resorts having gotten behind the sport of gravity riding as much as the rest of the US and the race promoters here can’t seem to work together to create a good race series). In the Past we had the Cane Creek Cup. It was a mixture of DH, DS, and XC racing. About 6 to 7 races a year all over the South East. Boy were those fun days!!!! Then no more. Don’t know the big reasons behind that one. A season later a few of us DHers decided to start up MADRA. The Mid Atlantic Race Association. That is what it was supposes to be, a Association of Gravity Racers helping make decisions to help keep the sport growing in the South. Well it ended up being 7 of us racers putting on a Race series. It went really well for about 2 seasons and then another group came in trying to start another race series when another one didn’t need to be formed. Let’s just say Sponsors got divided up and there was a lot of fighting going on about who’s races series was the best to attend. Well, it ended series racing in the South and the chance for it to keep growing. About 3 years ago I decided to start a race up at Paris Mt here in Greenville with the help of the local SORBA Group. No easy race course by any means. I feel it help light a fire under a lot of people wanting better gravity racing back in the South. The next year we had the boys up at Hawks Nest put on some great races and have done this the past few years. Beech Mtn stepped up too and put on some fun races. Both were series races, but once again we had to groups fighting to get all the racers to their races. Along with that is some other great places to race in the South along with people stepping up to put on races there and doing great jobs. I feel the main reason the South hasn’t grown like the rest of the US in gravity racing isn’t because of our venues (some of the best I have raced in the US), but because the racers are not getting all together to meet the same command goal. (Few can accomplish great things, but many can accomplish even more!!!!)

Just my thoughts after being around racing and helping put on races here in the South East for the last 13 to 14 years.

Cecil
Thanks for the clarification. Is it fair to say that most of the contenders are going to be coming from far away though? I tried to think of some names I know from the south but I couldn't really come up with any.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Beytagh and Herndon are two of the best in the South, but will say there are others that will step their game up for this event from the South. I would be willing to bet most of all the top contenders will be from the East Coast due to already riding and racing on conditions much like ours. If I had to put names out it would be between Beytagh, Herndon, Gwin, Neko, or Memmelaar.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
2008 DS National Champ - Herndon - Brevard, NC
2008 DH National Champ - Beytagh - Fletcher, NC
2008 DH Junior National Champ - Quehl - Georgia

Oh, and that second vid is what the National Champs course I laid out (with help from Herndon, Mulestar, Motomike, etc) at Sugar looks like now. It was too raw when we raced it as the mountain had actually shut me down on letting us ride it in and finish it out...until they were given go ahead to use it for Nats by USAC a week before the race.

It was not ready to be raced...but man is it awesome now.

We'll all chip in to do the same for Nationals. Just bring your smiles, your bikes...and a few extra days to hit up sick, demented places like Windrock or epic singletrack in Pisgah National Forest.

Last edited:

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
* I'm happy that the Nationals will be at Beech because, as a Floridian, I will be able to attend for sure.

* As for the 880 vert - Highland in New Hampshire has barely 500 vert but their solo Gravity East race was so popular and difficult that the crowd of attendees overwhelmed the small park.

* If USAC is trying to lessen the value of Gravity then it's up to us to make sure the event is awesome. Our participation is what makes the sport thrive or die.

* This is an opportunity for Beech to sink some money into its mountain and put it on the map. They have to make the kind of effort that we saw recently at Windham when it picked up its stature by hosting the World Cup Finals.

* One last thought - If you ask Euro racers what American mountains they most liked - many will say Mt. Snow, Vermont. Also not a very big mountain but a really fun one to race. :weee:

SCARY

Not long enough
Beytagh and Herndon are two of the best in the South, but will say there are others that will step their game up for this event from the South. I would be willing to bet most of all the top contenders will be from the East Coast due to already riding and racing on conditions much like ours. If I had to put names out it would be between Beytagh, Herndon, Gwin, Neko, or Memmelaar.

Cecil
Don't be too sure.We in the west are used to riding fast,loose and blown out.So when we show up to some place with actual traction,..watch yo'self......y'all.

Feb 9, 2010
Slow Cal
I would be willing to bet most of all the top contenders will be from the East Coast due to already riding and racing on conditions much like ours. If I had to put names out it would be between Beytagh, Herndon, Gwin, Neko, or Memmelaar.

Cecil
West Coast:

Gwin
Strobel
Strait
Riffle
Bingelli
Sternberg
Sylvestri
Immer
Warren
Swanguen
Turpen
Thomas
Keene
Jackson
Benedict
Buell
Aiello
Boice
Etc.

In the top 25 last year there were two riders that lived east of Colorado. I think the west will do just fine.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Can't wait to see what kind of course gets laid in. I know you guys love to hate (especially on places you've never heard of or been to) but that mountain has potential for some straight up retarded lines. Its a shame its not more vert but Beech has tons of crazy rocks and roots and extra special loam thats like 18 inches deep. The past courses weren't the best I've seen, but if the mountain commits to an experienced, PAID crew to build it, it could be epic.

I know the date isn't great and people are always suspect of a new venue. However, this place could be THE place to put southeast lift-accessed riding on the map, but not if they host a failed national championship, so suck it up and go support it!

Also, trying to please everyone is a surefire path to failure, so at least there is a date and venue confirmed now. Any date or location would piss SOMEONE off. This ensures that the event will have as much time for planning and course building as possible, although september weather could be very hit or miss.

Last edited:

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
In the top 25 last year there were two riders that lived east of Colorado. I think the west will do just fine.
and where was the race last year? hmmmm

lets not get an east vs west thing started again. Most of those guys will be fast no matter where the course is. Lets just be happy we have one to go to and I hope this helps establish a lift access trail system in the SE. We need it

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I predict somebody from california wins (because california produces the top american DH talents). I specifically predict gwin will win if he decides to race it and trek tells him its ok for him to wear a non trek jersey. But the california prediction holds either way.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you ask Euro racers what American mountains they most liked - many will say Mt. Snow, Vermont. Also not a very big mountain but a really fun one to race.
Total Acreage: 588
Vertical Drop: 1,700&#8217;
That's pretty big. I don't know if there's many DH race courses that drop more than that. Mt Snow's course goes from top to bottom.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
My thoughts,

-Fast riders will ride fast no matter where they are from.

-It will be hard for me to get out of school during that time to go and race.

-Nationals is a huge waste of time and money but for some reason i drove to Colorado to race on an over-sized ant hill last summer so what is going to change this year.