Quantcast

2011 TLD Gear

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
"If you don’t wanna rock the new TLD stuff then don’t buy it, but don’t bitch and moan about how much you hate the new stuff, and how super cool you are cause you ride in jeans and a flannel."

what did I bitch and moan about genious? It was about people's attitudes. I would never ride in cotton, let alone jeans and a flannel. The point was that this guy didn't need to look like a fast rider to be one. In terms of practicallity, I would take TLD gear over jeans and flannels any day. But how many people instantly wrote that guy off because of his gear? And on the other hand, how many beginners rock the Sam Hillish TLD gear just so they can look fast? I own TLD gear, just not the neon look-at-me sh!t that most people will wear to make up for their lack of skills. I take it your one of the flashy sh!t-talkers I was talking about.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
And on the other hand, how many beginners rock the Sam Hillish TLD gear just so they can look fast? I own TLD gear, just not the neon look-at-me sh!t that most people will wear to make up for their lack of skills. I take it your one of the flashy sh!t-talkers I was talking about.
On the third hand, everyone at the bike park who actually IS slow will get intimidated and let you go in front of them if you're all pimped out.
I've been doing testing on this since I don't usually wear my troy lee pajamas unless it's race day, so I have the day before with "normal" clothes to compare it to.

There's actually a possibility that mirrored lenses will have the same effect, unfortunately I scratch my junk more than a crack whore with crabs so mirrored lenses never last long enough for proper testing.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
*rant on*

i f-ing wished TLD would make pants for tall people. i'm 6'2" and when i tried on their pants, it looked like i was wearing knickers.

:think:
The reason they only have one pair of "DH" shorts and they make pants that don't fit right is b/c they aren't a bike company. i.e their apparel isn't made for us.
They will never make long pants b/c they will bunch inside the leg of a moto boot and until MX riders start wearing shorts, they won't make shorts to match the jerseys.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Isn't there an mtb specific line that includes britches? (which should match my jersey, gloves, goggles, cassette and cable housing of course)
I don't think so... if there was, I'd have already ran out and bought it immediately. ...unless of course it clashed with my cassette.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
they must know that they have a healthy market/following in DH. look at the development of the D3 for example. i mean, all they have to do is make their motocross pants 3-4 inches longer...and BAM! dh race pant!
Yeah, but what kind of crazy fool would wear pants for riding bikes??? It'd be way too hot. :rofl:

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
There's actually a possibility that mirrored lenses will have the same effect, unfortunately I scratch my junk more than a crack whore with crabs so mirrored lenses never last long enough for proper testing.
:rofl:

The only time I wear my mirrors is when I'm riding the barren treeless mountains here in Nevada, they also are scratched to sh!t. I don't have a hilarious analogy like you though so I won't even try.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
What's always amazing is that they pump out kit after kit and then one single pair of Black shorts to go with them all. Why no shorts to match the tops, just poofy pants.
damn good question!!! I've always wondered that!!

reckon they improved on the D3? cant wait to see the new helmets

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Damn, now i can't even wear my snowboard goggles that are mirrored because they are getting a negative rep. Crap. Guess I should just start riding in solid color tee's and my khaki shorts.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
:rofl:ahhh ha ha ha, ahhh ha ha, ohh, god, ahhh ha ha ha:rofl:
It's Moto gear, some people like wearing it because it is comfortable to ride in and doesn’t tear when you crash. People complaining about others wearing moto stuff is so played out. It has kinda been going on since the early days of Palmer give it a rest already people wear whatever the hell they wanna wear when they go riding. If you don’t wanna rock the new TLD stuff then don’t buy it, but don’t bitch and moan about how much you hate the new stuff, and how super cool you are cause you ride in jeans and a flannel.
Oh:confused:
oh well, ahhhh ha ha ha :weee:
It looks stupid, I don't care how many "cool" or "fast" dudes wear it, it looks gay and stupid. Consume and die. It does nothing to help you ride faster, NOTHING.
If you don't feal like an idiot wearing it, unless your in your clown possy, then I salute you. I would rock the sponge bob kit though, just to take the piss, and cause it actually looks cooler.
Hey, it's just my opinion, cut loose in your plastic clown clothes if you like, I'd rather spend my coin on my bike, or clothes that may impress women, not boys.

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
It's Moto gear, some people like wearing it because it is comfortable to ride in and doesn’t tear when you crash. People complaining about others wearing moto stuff is so played out. It has kinda been going on since the early days of Palmer give it a rest already people wear whatever the hell they wanna wear when they go riding. If you don’t wanna rock the new TLD stuff then don’t buy it, but don’t bitch and moan about how much you hate the new stuff, and how super cool you are cause you ride in jeans and a flannel.
I hear what you are saying, but on the other hand, there are people (which I may include myself in) who would like to have Troy Lee stuff as an option to wear for the reasons you mentioned (breathability, fit, tear resistance) but can't bring themselves to buy it because of the designs. Unfortunately, instead of people voting with their feet and making TLD have a rethink, a load of 14 year olds have their parents buy them a couple of new kits and a helmet every year and they continue to pump this sh*t out. At the end of the day, the colour of clothes you ride your bicycle in is so trivial it's laughable, but if you want to spend a decent wedge of money on it, I suppose it's legit to question what substances the designers are taking.

Fortunately, like all fashion, this is cyclic, so expect to see monochrome/solid colour schemes in the next year or two, you heard it here first. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I hear what you are saying, but on the other hand, there are people (which I may include myself in) who would like to have Troy Lee stuff as an option to wear for the reasons you mentioned (breathability, fit, tear resistance) but can't bring themselves to buy it because of the designs. Unfortunately, instead of people voting with their feet and making TLD have a rethink, a load of 14 year olds have their parents buy them a couple of new kits and a helmet every year and they continue to pump this sh*t out. At the end of the day, the colour of clothes you ride your bicycle in is so trivial it's laughable, but if you want to spend a decent wedge of money on it, I suppose it's legit to question what substances the designers are taking.

Fortunately, like all fashion, this is cyclic, so expect to see monochrome/solid colour schemes in the next year or two, you heard it here first. :thumb:
I got a buddy who works for one of the moto companies designing kit and he's busting out 2012 designs right now. You want to know the real truth about color schemes from all the bigs? I can tell you right now. You're not even close.:D Garish would be a good word.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I got a buddy who works for one of the moto companies designing kit and he's busting out 2012 designs right now. You want to know the real truth about color schemes from all the bigs? I can tell you right now. You're not even close.:D Garish would be a good word.
Motherfu....:disgust1: OK, maybe not a year or two, but some time in the not so distant future there will be a backlash, vive la revolution!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm a muppet on a moto, so when I go ride one I wear the brightest damn stuff I can find so that other riders will at least have a fighting chance of seeing and avoiding me as I go flailing by.

When I ride dh, I couldn't give a crap what I'm wearing as long as it doesn't rip. Right now that's a lot of tld stuff that's left over from team jerseys and stuff from years before.

All you anti pajama guys can go ahead and spend the extra time in the morning making sure you don't look like a poser, more room in the lift line in the for me.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering