Quantcast

2011 World Championships: Champery

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
For the DH history buffs-- what is the closest that anyone has come to a perfect season? Did I hear right that Gwin was the first to go 5/7? Has anyone else gone approximately 70% WC and won Champs?

The closest in the men's competition would be Sam Hill with 3/5 and WCs in 2007.

Vouilloz won more races (but a lower percentage) with 4/8 and WCs (1998 & 1999)

If you look at the women's AC was 7/8 with WCs... (coincidentally ALSO 1998 & 1999)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
dude, there was nothing moto about val di sole....nothing...save the last 300-500 yards....and he crushed there too....the guy can ride everything, and he seems to be in complete control...
I watched Val di sol replay with some pro mxers, all were saying how gnarly it was, but also saying how each section reminded them of "unadilla, southwick, washougal".....not to mention Danny hart saying he rode the track like he was on his motocross bike.

Just sayin :p

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Elsinore is NOT like Champery, lets not kid ourselves.
Would E be worth the road trip over F or T? Bring Lewis, Lancaster and another throwback out. Or are we better off staying in town? THANKS

Gwin
Hart
Brosnan
Hill

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I watched Val di sol replay with some pro mxers, all were saying how gnarly it was, but also saying how each section reminded them of "unadilla, southwick, washougal".....not to mention Danny hart saying he rode the track like he was on his motocross bike.

Just sayin :p
yeah, i guess all those big holes between the rocks resemble whoops on a gnarly mx track....when i think mx style course on a DH bike, i think along the lines of south africa....more groomed, faster speeds, huge jumps etc....that many rocks don't really come to mind....either way, i can't wait to watch that race....it's gonna be intense

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not that it matters on a worlds scale, but gwin also won US open this year, not nearly as big of a title, but still had some key players

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
my point is that Gwin can ride a steep track like Champery with skill, the track is not over his head.
Oh I agree. Whatever idiot said that 'Gwin doesn't have the technical skill of my favorite rider, blah blah blah I'm gay' is pretty stupid.

He's by far the most talented technical rider. Maybe Hill can give him a run for his money. Just because other guys look out of control and crash more doesn't make them more technically skilled. Less so in fact.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Would E be worth the road trip over F or T? Bring Lewis, Lancaster and another throwback out. Or are we better off staying in town? THANKS
I've never actually ridden it, just everyone I know has. They say its fun and challenging, but not even close to F or T in terms of danger or challenge. IF you want a road trip from SLO you should bring your boys with us to this place:

302 Found

http://youtu.be/D1-y8I_56ao

The only stuff stepper than T that I've ever ridden. Not nearly as dangerous scary, or rocky, but only a notch or so below in technical challenge. Judging from the helmet cams, looks like the steepness might be similar to Champery. It's hard to tell. It certainly is nowhere near as fast/sketchy/rough/difficult as champery though.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
so aways from the bickering ^^

if i choose troy as my championshp rider for dirts fantasy league
will junior worlds count? :D

then on another note
i really would love to see sam come back with another title even though i never liked him in his super dominant days.

would love to see josh bryceland on the podium...

anybody got news on fabien? will he still ride worlds?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Here a couple quick pics before I get back to taping the track and nailing down rubber mats on wooden bridges. We are almost ready!

Here you can see the 3rd to last step down on the DH track where it crosses the 4X

Building the start straight for the 4X. I used the Cat to build up the piles and pack them down hard by running the digger over each layer added. Then I would carve out of those packed mounds with the walking digger.

4X - Here you can see we made a big outside berm with natural terrain all over he inside. There are a bunch of inside lines and all that zone will be flagged open.

Friends came out to see the track after work one day so we got them to foot pack as they were talking.

Making a bridge with a dirt surfacing.

Pierre taking 5 minutes off from digging to test the jumps with his work pants and boots.

It is supposed to start raining a little today and then be sunny. We might even have some good weather for the race. Would be sick if the track was dry because the level of riding is so much higher and more fun to watch.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
anybody got news on fabien? will he still ride worlds?
He looked like he was in pretty bad shape when they were carting him away. I would be surprised if he will be in good shape.

I heard the French Federation didn't take Fabien Pedemanaud for Worlds. Seems strange when he got 6th last year with 2 crashes...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Oh I agree. Whatever idiot said that 'Gwin doesn't have the technical skill of my favorite rider, blah blah blah I'm gay' is pretty stupid.

He's by far the most talented technical rider. Maybe Hill can give him a run for his money. Just because other guys look out of control and crash more doesn't make them more technically skilled. Less so in fact.
Wasnt me but i wouldnt call him the most talented(not to take away anything from him). His wins are also thanks to high ride iq (riding fluid instead of having fun and pinballing the course like the younger guys)

Ben - awesome track. Really wanted to go and spectate but the trip budget will have to go for hospital bills :( Sorry for not answering the email..

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Personally i hope Lehikonen will get a medal. But Hill for the win, anyone who thinks he is there for anything but gold is kidding themselves, he has a personal vendetta with that track.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Anyone who reckons Gwin doesn't have technical skill is retarded. He killed everyone on every kind of track this year. He will be on the podium, crash or no crash, I'd say it's his to lose. Hill, as much of a legend as he is especially on this track, is unfortunately going to struggle. If he was even remotely fit to ride, he would have raced VDS, but the fact that he hasn't says to me that he's really struggling. He might be up the front somewhere but a win really is extremely unlikely.

smithyM1

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
Anyone who reckons Gwin doesn't have technical skill is retarded. He killed everyone on every kind of track this year. He will be on the podium, crash or no crash, I'd say it's his to lose. Hill, as much of a legend as he is especially on this track, is unfortunately going to struggle. If he was even remotely fit to ride, he would have raced VDS, but the fact that he hasn't says to me that he's really struggling. He might be up the front somewhere but a win really is extremely unlikely.
I see what you're saying but i'm sure if he didnt think he could go there and win, he wouldnt! Especially with all the hype surrounding him and that particular track.

Either way, its going to be 1 helluva battle!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I think Gwin has far more skill than you're giving him credit, just because he hasn't been racing DH bikes for a long time doesn't mean he hasn't been riding them for quite a while.
I'm not taking anything away from him either, he has his strengths and as I stated he's obviously an amazing rider. It's an opinion, and while I didn't ask Geminiasshatgaylord for permission to have one, I still believe that there are better bike handlers on the circut and that's what's going to make the difference. I'm not here to argue. I'm giving my picks before the racing starts along with the others who chose to do so instead of bitch about other people's picks'.

Is that ok?

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I'm not taking anything away from him either, he has his strengths and as I stated he's obviously an amazing rider. It's an opinion, and while I didn't ask Geminiasshatgaylord for permission to have one, I still believe that there are better bike handlers on the circut and that's what's going to make the difference. I'm not here to argue. I'm giving my picks before the racing starts along with the others who chose to do so instead of bitch about other people's picks'.

Is that ok?
dont be butthurt, we are all just stating our opinion, just enjoy the retardation. :thumb:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Its going to be what it has been all season. Gwin (1), Gee (2), Minaar (3), Hart (4), and Hill (if he is truly healthy--I don't think he is) slash Brook Macdonald rounding up the podium.

sidenote... is brosnan even allowed to race seniors at worlds? people are putting him in their podium picks--but he wouldn't even be racing would he? is worlds divided into mens junior and senior heats or do they just run all the men and you have a overall placing and a class placing?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Its going to be what it has been all season. Gwin (1), Gee (2), Minaar (3), Hart (4), and Hill (if he is truly healthy--I don't think he is) slash Brook Macdonald rounding up the podium.

sidenote... is brosnan even allowed to race seniors at worlds? people are putting him in their podium picks--but he wouldn't even be racing would he? is worlds divided into mens junior and senior heats or do they just run all the men and you have a overall placing and a class placing?
He'll be in Jr's, but can still go for the overall time.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

there are only 3 podium spots at worlds, everyone needs to go back and revise their posts and remove the extraneous words.

junior and elite are two separate races run at different times. no overlap or ability for a jr to win the elite race. fastest time? sure, but it won't mean anything official.

official worlds program attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
why the hell would he race vds? his season was already shot, the overall didn't matter, he has enough golds that its not like he desperately needs another to show how good he is, and all he's focusing on is champery. All racing VDS does is show everybody that he's back on top and the guy to beat. As is, he's a wildcard and everybody has to worry, what's sam gonna do? I don't know if you've paid attention to racing for along time, but thats pretty much when he's at his best. He loves head games, and the more everybody is worrying about him and what he's gonna do, the faster he goes.

Again. Spacing will be
Sam Hill
Gwin +5seconds
Gee or Hart + 3 seconds

Blenkinsop will not do well, brook mcdonald and cam cole will be top 10, peat will be top 15, bryceland will do well, and make up for his sh1tty La Bresse. Brendog will continue to struggle, due to knee injury, which is a pity because this race was made for him to step up his game and finally show he has what it takes to race with the big dogs.

Minnaar will be in the top 5, because thats what he does at world champs, but he wont win.

Next year, he will fycking kill it, step up his game as he always does, and the points race will be between him and gwin, and he'll win.

And also, troy will fyckup juniors. You read it here first. Connar Fearon or lewis buchanan will pull it together and win. Neko will continue to have an off year and struggle, which is a bummer because he for sure has what it takes to race competitively with the big boys. Not his year though. We'll see if trek is ok with that. Troy is gonna crash, and follow in the footsteps of sam hill, his mentor at VDS. He'll be up like 20 seconds and go down. Even though he'll go on to be the only one of those three that actually race competitively in the seniors, he's not gonna win this race.

Also, smith is out, so stop predicting he'll do well.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I cant understand how anyone can seriously believe that the best rider of the season isn't the form pick for the Champs? If Gwin loses it will be an amazing 11/10ths race run from Blenki, Barel, Hill et al.
TB for the Jnrs, but in a close race from Loic Bruni. Connor Fearon to relax and have fun and look the wildest rider of any age in practice.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
edit: my mistake, its next weekend
Do you honestly think anybody is worrying about what "Sam (is) gonna do?"?

Do you think that WC riders approach a race thinking about other people's race?

Do people really think that Gwin has peaked and everybody else is now going to catch up as if he has no where else to improve in his short career?

It's a race and anything can certainly happen. Gwin is not a shoe in..not at this level, but I have to think that he has way more going for him at the moment than anybody else (confidence and skill included).

I am fairly certain that the head games, if there are any, only work on internet wankers.