Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Looks like Norco's really putting up some cash, Jill and Bryn and now Hopkins on the freeride side.

Any word on the Athertons release?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
really putting up some cash? More like Norco is giving out three dh frames this season.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
In the press release Marc does not look pumped.. Maybe he's FURYous about all the RUCKUS doing on with the team. He's kind of been FORCEd into the family. Bit of a DISTORTION of the team in my eyes

Had to, im sorry for the avalanche of bad taste...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so does that mean that beaumont will be off blackbox and racing on fox, or the athertons will be off fox and racing rockshox, or something else entirely?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
so does that mean that beaumont will be off blackbox and racing on fox, or the athertons will be off fox and racing rockshox, or something else entirely?
Athertons on Fox for sure. Beaumont who knows as of now. I would guess he would be on Fox too since they are supplying the team and Beaumont is essentially an employee of the Atherton team.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Athertons on Fox for sure. Beaumont who knows as of now. I would guess he would be on Fox too since they are supplying the team and Beaumont is essentially an employee of the Atherton team.
Factory GT - Managed by Atherton Racing.

So, he'll be on whatever the Athertons give him.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I know I for one am upset by this is thrilling news. How dare they do something that I don't approve of! I'm outraged!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
maybe making a statement? Out with the old in with the new? Putting Commencal behind them?
Not really a statement so much as an unintended peek behind the scenes as it were.

Since the Fury has an unusually steep head angle (by today's current DH race machine standards) at around 65 degrees and is quite different from what the Athertons were riding for the past few years, the DH Supreme was probably there in the shop as a baseline measurement or point of reference. This is done for two main reasons: 1) It allows the techs and riders to recognize and evaluate the differences and similarities between the previous bike and the new bike, and 2) It permits direct comparison for reference on what needs to be changed, carried over, or modified from old bike to new bike.

As most know, Marc was running offset shock hardware last season to slack out the HA and drop the BB:

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/category/products/offset-shock-hardware/

Additionally Gee and Dan (although Dan will be racing Enduro events for 2012) were well known for preferring super long rear chainstays... and I mean REALLLLLLY long, like semi-truck long, so I'm sure that is another element that is being taken into consideration.

Given their level of riding, technical knowledge, invlovement with product R&D, and the Fury's current configuration, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the added benefits of bringing the Athertons on board was product development... if you get my meaning. ;)

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Not really a statement so much as an unintended peek behind the scenes as it were.

Since the Fury has an unusually steep head angle (by today's current DH race machine standards) at around 65 degrees and is quite different from what the Athertons were riding for the past few years, the DH Supreme was probably there in the shop as a baseline measurement or point of reference. This is done for two main reasons: 1) It allows the techs and riders to recognize and evaluate the differences and similarities between the previous bike and the new bike, and 2) It permits direct comparison for reference on what needs to be changed, carried over, or modified from old bike to new bike.

As most know, Marc was running offset shock hardware last season to slack out the HA and drop the BB:

http://www.burgtec.co.uk/category/products/offset-shock-hardware/

Additionally Gee and Dan (although Dan will be racing Enduro events for 2012) were well known for preferring super long rear chainstays... and I mean REALLLLLLY long, like semi-truck long, so I'm sure that is another element that is being taken into consideration.

Given their level of riding, technical knowledge, invlovement with product R&D, and the Fury's current configuration, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the added benefits of bringing the Athertons on board was product development... if you get my meaning. ;)
For reference, GT already made the alloy Fury lower and moar slack than the carbon version. HA on the alloy version is 63.5 degrees.

But, yeah, I would assume the geometry will get tweaked for the Athertons.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yes! This is true for the Alu version, BUT the carbon seems to be what they were looking at, sooo...

It will be interesting to see what (if any) changes they make to the carbon model.

Stoked to see what happens. :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasnt the carbon specced with an agleset or was that a rumor that never came true? Im still hyped for gt. Great looking bikes. If only there was a chance of test riding one before getting it but the local distro is so small and crappy at doing their job I'm suprised GT doesn't look for a new one.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
For reference, GT already made the alloy Fury lower and moar slack than the carbon version. HA on the alloy version is 63.5 degrees.

But, yeah, I would assume the geometry will get tweaked for the Athertons.
didn't gee already confirm that in one of the interviews?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Matt, I remember you having those issues at wisp and springs, did you ever get it sorted out or figure out the root of the prob??
Not really. I loved the bike when it worked but I spent more time wrenching than riding. The last race of the year I actually used my Morewood just so I wouldnt have any hiccups with the GT. It was a great bike but I'm a simpleton and I just want things to work.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Bromont, Canada

January 13, 2012

Fabien Pedemanaud Joins the Xprezo Family!!!

It is with great pride that we welcome Fabien Pedemanaud to the Xprezo Team for the next 3 seasons.

This world-class athlete shares the same values as our enterprise and will be a key player in product placement, research and development of new products and of a brand ambassador on the world scale.

Fabien’s season schedule hasn’t been 100% defined, but Fabien will fly the Xprezo colors in certain Enduro events, some French National and regional events as well as select World Cup races... depending on his farm obligations!!

In his new role of ambassador, Fabien will play a huge role in product development and be involved in photo and video shoots!

Fabien’s race schedule and partners will soon be released! Stay tuned!

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
Not really. I loved the bike when it worked but I spent more time wrenching than riding. The last race of the year I actually used my Morewood just so I wouldnt have any hiccups with the GT. It was a great bike but I'm a simpleton and I just want things to work.
Man that sucks...hope you get it figured our for next year...was definitely a sick bike in person