Quantcast

2019 9/27-30 Colorado Mini Monkey Gaggle?

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone ridden in State Forest State Park near Walden? Thinking of breaking up my trip, and it looks like there are a few trails there. It's in the middle of nowhere...

No beta there, but I Jimmy Deaned my bronco II outside Walden/Cowdry in the early 90s

A bit out of the way, but I've been wanting to explore the Snowies when stopping to soak at the Saratoga Hobo Hot Springs (which is actually on route) and quite nice considering it's FREE and open 24/7

Hobo-Hot-Springs-Saratoga.jpg

Of the few rides on Trailforks, this sounds promising

Often shuttled, but climbable by the gnarly rider who wants it From the top: a short climb into trees, then descending through sub-alpine meadow, following the North Fork of the Little Laramie river. Often drifted into July, and several stream crossings, be ready to be muddy!

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
No beta there, but I Jimmy Deaned my bronco II outside Walden/Cowdry in the early 90s

A bit out of the way, but I've been wanting to explore the Snowies when stopping to soak at the Saratoga Hobo Hot Springs (which is actually on route) and quite nice considering it's FREE and open 24/7

View attachment 137238

Of the few rides on Trailforks, this sounds promising

Often shuttled, but climbable by the gnarly rider who wants it From the top: a short climb into trees, then descending through sub-alpine meadow, following the North Fork of the Little Laramie river. Often drifted into July, and several stream crossings, be ready to be muddy!
I rode that trail this summer as an out n back. A++ The locals shuttle it. Saratoga is pretty nice too! The snowies arr my in-laws stompin grounds. Hidden gem stuff! Nothing to see... go check out the Curt Gowdy IMBA ride center instead. The NF clkmb isnt as bad as the quote says...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We camped near silver creek last night in the same spot the monkey hoard stayed at 3 years ago. I wish I'd got a photo of wifey bringing our truck down off the bluff, lots of articulation and steep going on. Definitely not trailer friendly.

Several of the camp spots along there were closed off since our last visit. Anything trailer worthy was taken.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Chatted with Teh Canadian again last night, his plan is riding Copper > Searle out and back on Friday with a friend, and then I will probably scoop him up from Copper in the afternoon and head down towards Salida area.

We've had good luck with finding spots in this general vicinity:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38°34'34.0"N+106°09'32.3"W/

Those spots are usually open, good access for a camper, and being a bit further to the north than some of the other spots mentioned would be a good staging spot to jump off towards CB on Sunday morning (or Saturday evening) depending on how the day shakes out. I say this because Cottonwood Pass is open for all traffic now, but I guess I don't know what route would be best to get over to CB if we're riding the Crest all day on Saturday.

General Ride Plans:

Saturday: I have another buddy WKD-RDR headed to the Salida area this weekend who's down to ride. It'd be rad if we could do a triple dorp off the Crest: thinking Greens, S. Fooses, and maybe a Starvation rip from Marshal Pass because it's easy and if it's easy you should do it twice or thrice. I also have a friend that lives in the area that we might be able to enlist for some shuttle action, but that's a long(er) shot.

Sunday: We're thinking 401 in the a.m. It's not my favorite, but it's a cool enough ride and it's real pretty and Teh Canadian hasn't ridden it in a while and wants to. If we have the people/vehicles, we could always shuttle the road climb, but that's also not super necessary. Then on the "way home" we're thinking a fully shuttled Doctor Park in the afternoon -- so long as a @rideit and/or a @6thElement fam are joining to make a full shuttle possible.

General thoughts:
  • Yeah @rideit you should definitely do a 'big' ride on Friday. For sure.
  • Colors should be getting towards peak, or at least more yellow-er than they were this past weekend.
  • @stoney do you think you're gonna try and make it for any of this? @SkaredShtles ?

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think The Canadian and I will be in one, and if @6thElement shows up they'll be in one.
Wife and I are finding our feet after being out in the wilds since Friday. Will update tomorrow/Thursday on plans versus what it sounds like your current plans are.

Need to find a replacement solution for the linch pins used as safety devices on our popup roof clamps. Was down to two out of four by the time we got home today. Carabiners might be a better solution...

Also might need to winterize the water system before heading out again, 20's 3 nights in a row was hassle to avoid freezing the water pipes and water heater.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What are the dates again? I still don't have a shock back from Fox yet and my rear wheel is... dodgy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m down for a loop of Mountain Lion Monday morning. Picking up car around 7:30 in south Denver so would be good for 8:15 in Golden, certainly. Can’t do anything longer as I need to be back by 11:30 or so.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I used to be able to sort of keep up when I could make up time on the climbs, but I think Leeloo has a hidden motor.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Don’t let that fool from Jackson fool ya, he can get down a damn hill. Super fun day with a stalwart crew. I had moar pictures but this’ll do for now, bottom of Starvation with @rideit and Teh Canadian:

3FBCD8F3-A336-4F5C-A049-0674FED7A947.jpeg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The fair maiden Dawn in the front, who was a chum and way dirtier than the rest of us. Then L-R in the back is My Own Damn Self™, @WKD-RDR, @rideit and Teh Canadian.

8E51B30F-DA05-45AC-9967-A25ADF2FBC90.jpeg

Will post riding pictures when I can view them on a large screen.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@rideit what are your plans for tomorrow? You could ride twice, with me on Mountain Lion in the morning and with the 6thElements in the afternoon for whatever 4k vert over 2 hours thing they have planned.