Quantcast

2024 racing thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
sniped!

he says in there he's going to continue testing all sorts of various ideas. including gear boxes! can't wait to see that!
And WD40 is the big sponsor for the team to fund the operations. Nice!

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I swear I saw a pic of Danny H with a Propain a couple of weeks ago, but did a quick dig a few days ago and couldn’t find anything. Hope I wasn’t imagining it as the photo is still clear in my head. No one has posted anything so guessing I am imagining things.

Isn’t Sam B on Crestline?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I swear I saw a pic of Danny H with a Propain a couple of weeks ago, but did a quick dig a few days ago and couldn’t find anything. Hope I wasn’t imagining it as the photo is still clear in my head. No one has posted anything so guessing I am imagining things.

Isn’t Sam B on Crestline?
Some people on PB claim he was on a Nukeproof on someone elses story but I doubt they have money for a team so he might be simply riding what's availabe.

Also Mondraker team is rumored to be Dunne, Dak, Pinkerton.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Some people on PB claim he was on a Nukeproof on someone elses story but I doubt they have money for a team so he might be simply riding what's availabe.

Also Mondraker team is rumored to be Dunne, Dak, Pinkerton.

I don't think Zerode have much of a budget either.... It's a pretty small company in the middle of a downturn.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dak and Pinkerton are USA, right?

Dunne - Irish?

Interesting the USA guys right before the move to US/Boulder. And heck, I'd take any Irishman that digs Colorado.
Those are rumors of simply people spotting them so take it with a grain of salt but maybe Mondraker wants to push for a bigger US presence? Their bikes sure do look nice but their ride never really geled with me. Though I only tried 2.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If Gwin owns his team or whatever, you'd think he'd want it to be USA USA USA. Get that going with Dak and Pinkerton.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I couldn’t dig up anything to back up my post, but watched Bernard’s latest vlog and Danny was in it. He seemed to be playing camera man before I tuned out, and it definitely felt like there was some deliberate bike avoidance and smelt fishy to me. Bernard made a sly comment early in the vid. Danny looked super relax and full of smiles, which doesn’t often come through in his usual content. Got me to thinking that Bernard’s team could be really awesome for Danny. The boys are a hoot and maybe a relaxed Danny could be a fast Danny?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Pinkerton was announced for Mondraker Factory, so likely Dunne and Dak will follow the next few days.

MS has switched to Intense frames, but the team is the same as MS Mondraker.

That leaves Danny, Brooke, Blenki and @Avy 's boy Gwinner.

Danny to Pivot Factory would be sweet, but I bet it's a low budget effort with Nukeproof frames and Hope (like Brayton).

As much as they are sick riders, Brooke and Blenki are in the twilight of their careers and maybe Crankworx on some Kiwi bikes is about all they have left.

Biggest question is Gwin. Is he going for a solo effort this year? Is he racing World Cups at all?
How is Avy able to sleep at night? :p

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Biggest question is Gwin. Is he going for a solo effort this year? Is he racing World Cups at all?
I'll call an audible where Rock Jeebers pulls off his own take on Elon Musk by not racing, but launching himself in orbit while never leaving the ground. Instead has all kinds of one-timers in their own orbit around him. Somehow realized much like his Demo 'suspension works so much better w/o a fucking chain', MTB works so much better w/o a fucking bike.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Pinkerton was announced for Mondraker Factory, so likely Dunne and Dak will follow the next few days.

MS has switched to Intense frames, but the team is the same as MS Mondraker.

That leaves Danny, Brooke, Blenki and @Avy 's boy Gwinner.

Danny to Pivot Factory would be sweet, but I bet it's a low budget effort with Nukeproof frames and Hope (like Brayton).

As much as they are sick riders, Brooke and Blenki are in the twilight of their careers and maybe Crankworx on some Kiwi bikes is about all they have left.

You are so right Brother,I am confused and worried. From his last tweet,he said he is looking forward to the upcoming year. Sooo,I have to believe he is racing. He is ready to ride,Dr. said so. All that watching and talking last year has him prime.

Mabye it will end,how it all started. On a Yeti?

Will my Boy be at the Worlds Snow Race?

Ride Ginger Ride,all I really want is,Ride Gwinny Ride!

Avy

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
With Yeti rumored to be starting up a DH program again, and Gwin being into team owning/managing these days, that could be a good fit.

Gwin racing the new Yeti DH bike this year and getting it completely dialed, then running the DH team next year with RR and some fast Jr rippers.

The circle of life is complete.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
With Yeti rumored to be starting up a DH program again, and Gwin being into team owning/managing these days, that could be a good fit.

Gwin racing the new Yeti DH bike this year and getting it completely dialed, then running the DH team next year with RR and some fast Jr rippers.

The circle of life is complete.
That would be entertaining. But as far as I recall, Yeti has a dude that is the "team manager" already. And has been since Gwin started racing for them waaaay back in the day. Did he retire/leave?

Can Yeti even afford Gwin nowadays? You'd think they could...considering the price of a Yeti :D

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Said dude may be busy managing the E Enduro team. :D
I hear that is the hot ticket these days.

Gwin was the owner of the Intense team last year, he probably still has the license and could buy into a Yeti DH Team like he did with Intense.

I don't know what the salary arrangement was with Intense since Gwin was racer/team owner/manager, but I'd assume Yeti has more money than Intense does for such things. I see waaaay more Yetis than Intense bikes, even outside of Colorado.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Said dude may be busy managing the E Enduro team. :D
I hear that is the hot ticket these days.

Gwin was the owner of the Intense team last year, he probably still has the license and could buy into a Yeti DH Team like he did with Intense.

I don't know what the salary arrangement was with Intense since Gwin was racer/team owner/manager, but I'd assume Yeti has more money than Intense does for such things. I see waaaay more Yetis than Intense bikes, even outside of Colorado.
There seems to be a huge disconnect or missing link, as clearly we can't judge what a company can afford vs how many of their bikes are seen in public.

For example GT. Granted they are owned by a huge conglomeration, but I've not ever seen a single one of their bikes on the trail or even one for sale in any shop. How'd they have such a big team going, if going by how many of their bikes are out in public.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
There seems to be a huge disconnect or missing link, as clearly we can't judge what a company can afford vs how many of their bikes are seen in public.

For example GT. Granted they are owned by a huge conglomeration, but I've not ever seen a single one of their bikes on the trail or even one for sale in any shop. How'd they have such a big team going, if going by how many of their bikes are out in public.
GT are doing numbers in hybrids and budget bikes. The numbers stack up pretty quick selling thousands of cheap bikes globally. Goes for Trek and Spec as well, with those two having an even bigger share of the road and kids markets.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

they sold a bunch of budget and low-end good bikes at Sportchek and the likes here... with big banners of the enduro and DH team up in the cycling Dept...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
they sold a bunch of budget and low-end good bikes at Sportchek and the likes here... with big banners of the enduro and DH team up in the cycling Dept...
I love seeing shopper bikes being sold under a giant poster of someone going through a rock garden.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've still never seen one then! I mean I don't go into Sportchek at all, but yeah..
I love seeing shopper bikes being sold under a giant poster of someone going through a rock garden.
I love seeing them out on the trails. Years ago we were riding a pretty rocky spot (pic below is from there). We were taking a breather when down the hill comes this wild man from New Zealand and his girlfriend, on stunning Crappy Tire bikes (think Walmart bike from 10 years ago) with vbrakes. They were having a blast and continued on their Sunday adventure after a short chat. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've still never seen one then! I mean I don't go into Sportchek at all, but yeah..

I love seeing them out on the trails. Years ago we were riding a pretty rocky spot (pic below is from there). We were taking a breather when down the hill comes this wild man from New Zealand and his girlfriend, on stunning Crappy Tire bikes (think Walmart bike from 10 years ago) with vbrakes. They were having a blast and continued on their Sunday adventure after a short chat. :rofl:

So you're a 95%er then?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
GT are doing numbers in hybrids and budget bikes. The numbers stack up pretty quick selling thousands of cheap bikes globally. Goes for Trek and Spec as well, with those two having an even bigger share of the road and kids markets.
True but it still baffles me they produce more expensive bikes and do so little to sell them. Especially outside US. They seem to run their distribution like it's 1995.

@6thElement who claims 100feet per mile descent is a normal trail? I mean MTBR was a shit show but wow.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Over here GT will outsell all your favourite niche pricing Derp and DH brands as they are found at entry level prices on every one of the big 4 UK high street bicycle retailers shop floors.
Seen a GT of some sort in every country I've ever ridden in too.
If you've ymtruely NEVER seen one maybe you just don't ride a lot outside your own bubble. AKA #MYTRAILZ!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I never see GTs on the trails here in Socal.

For some reason, I assumed that they were selling mid- and high-end bikes in EU or UK.... since the brand hasn't had credibility in the states since the 90s.