Quantcast

24 inches of love

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Amazingly the Profile Mid-BB's don't come with instructions.

I have some instructions specific to the Mid-BB's that I thought I e-mailed to the people who didn't get the instuctions in their Fall Guy box. The file is PDF, so if anyone wants one, e-mail me.

Basically, you should have recieved 2 types of spacers. One type are those supplied by Profile. These are 3mm wide, and have a rough finish because they are stamped. We put a few of those in the box. The other are 2 5mm spacers that you may or may not have to use. These are spacers we supply. Some longer cranks sit very closely to the Fall Guy Chainstays. These spacers go inbetween the crank arm and the sprocket to enable you to maintain chainline and space the crank out a little. That said, I ride 175 Profiles and an Imperial sprocket, and I don't use any spacers at all. Your sprocket should be against the narrower cone spacer supplied with the bikes. This arrangment results in the proper BMX chainline which off the top of my head is 41mm. If you are running a thin sprocket (like Ti), and longer cranks you may want to/need to run the 5mm spacers we supply. If anyone doesn't understand this arrangement, please e-mail me. The Fall Guy uses 1" tubing for the chainstays and is therefore tight for crank arm clearance. However, using the spacers we supply, you shouldn't have to compromise your chainline to achieve crank arm clearance, no matter what crank you choose to run.

Also, I really don't understand why evil4bc mentioned that 175's "aren't good for mountain bikes?" That makes no sense to me. It's like handle bar width. I've tried narrower bars, and they just don't feel very good to me; but so what? Short cranks are the same; just don't feel right to me. I ride 175 cranks and 28" bars , but I'm not going to imagine it's everyone's perfect set-up. In fact if I changed anything about my bike, it would probably be switching to 180s...

Anyway, Scurban mentioned he was looking at a Heckler. I think they are excellent bikes. I've had one for 3 years. Because of my injury, I've been riding a lot of XC recently, which includes dorking around on some of the free-ride stuff on the way down. The Heckler seems like the perfect bike for this.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
^agree, been runnin' 175s for years with no problems on 99% of the frames I've had. Although, I got a set of 170s for my trail bike recently and I kinda like it for the extra tad of clearance over the rocks...

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
evil4bc mentioned that 175's "aren't good for mountain bikes?" That makes no sense to me. It's like handle bar width. I've tried narrower bars, and they just don't feel very good to me; but so what? Short cranks are the same; just don't feel right to me. I ride 175 cranks and 28" bars , but I'm not going to imagine it's everyone's perfect set-up. In fact if I changed anything about my bike, it would probably be switching to 180s...
Landon ... from my personal exsperince 170mm - 172.5mm cranks work best for URBAN MTB's clearence from end of the crank arm to the front of the tire , as well as end of crank arm to ground .

Even after riding BMX for well over 10+ years from about 86-87 on
180's always felt really long to me for some reason , 175's felt better but not great .

The current set of 170mm cranks I have on my bike feel better to me , of corse your welcom to your own opinion it's a free country .

Longer cranks might feel better to you Landon as you have much longer legs then me so given what I know about bike fit it makes sense .

BTW : HOLY CRAP you look like a lawn dart going off that kicker ... that's HUGE Landon MAD SKILLLLLZZZZZZ YO :biggrin:

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Or jsut buy a one piece TREE sprocket which wont have high and low spots and is machined with GEAR drive profiled teeth not bicycle chain profile , I jsut got my TREE sprockets in yesterday and they run smoother than anyother sprocket I have ever had :happydance: :banana:

Tree does make a very nice Chainwheel; however the high and low spots in my experience arise from loose tolerance fitting of the spindle and chainwheel adapter which reduces the 22mm hole bore to 7/8".

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Tree does make a very nice Chainwheel; however the high and low spots in my experience arise from loose tolerance fitting of the spindle and chainwheel adapter which reduces the 22mm hole bore to 7/8".
Good point ... the one I mounted up was to a set of Primo cranks with a 22mm I.D.

I will have to see if the ones for the new SA with the adaptor have a high and low spot but I guess with a rear derailer it doesnt matter as much as single speed .

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
It's the presentation of personal opinion as fact that's bothered me about these forums since being intoduced to them 2 years ago. I'm not bent about it, and it's important for me to remember that these forums are essentially a form of guys siting around BS'ing about gear.

Here's the BB spacer arrangement that people should have gotten with their Fall Guys.

That jump is pretty easy Evel Knevel ramp to ramp stuff. The toughest part for me is going off something soo narrow.

I really don't have anything approaching "Madd Skills", but it's a nice thought. Thanks.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Just a side note here, those spacers work well on euro BBs also. You need to run a spacer on the spindle between the tapered spacer and BB so they dont rub on the outer cups. I got mine so close you can barely see they dont actually touch. Cleans up the look especially on the non drive side.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
It's the presentation of personal opinion as fact that's bothered me about these forums since being intoduced to them 2 years ago. I'm not bent about it, and it's important for me to remember that these forums are essentially a form of guys siting around BS'ing about gear.

Here's the BB spacer arrangement that people should have gotten with their Fall Guys.

That jump is pretty easy Evel Knevel ramp to ramp stuff. The toughest part for me is going off something soo narrow.

I really don't have anything approaching "Madd Skills", but it's a nice thought. Thanks.
Point well made :bonk:
Ok not maddskills Landon but you could tell you had it pinned when you hit the take off and the way your front tire was super piked just made it look really rad !!!:biggrin:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Landon - that pic is of you dorking around with an injury?!?! I would hate to see what happens when things are more dialed :eek: At any rate, that is one super stylish photo over a pretty scary looking jump.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, i was going to say the same thing. how long ago was that photo taken? last week? was it before or after you found out you had to have a knee surgery? :) i'm still waiting for my MRI appointment - next week.

cant wait to get my fully.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
That photo is from last week, so post MRI and pre-surgery. All I'm doing is riding XC, but there happens to be quite a lot of built-up freeride stuff where I usually ride. I haven't been riding my Fall Guy at all, and was kinda jonesing for some air-time.

I've seen some of the most hack riders on this earth ride that line and live, so I figured it would be OK to try. Not very satisfying compared to riding steep BMX style stuff, but it certainly fit the bill for an old, injured guy riding an XC bike. I'm really convinced there's very little that can't be done on a good 5-6" bike. Including pedaling up to whatever you want to ride. Imagine that?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
yeah, I hear you - I feel more comfy on the steep BMX style stuff - with reasonable gaps of course. I guess the actual amount of time in the air might be the same between lippy "trail" jumps and long and shallow jumps. You're just going at different speeds.

The Heckler is an amazing all around bike w/ the shock options available now you can get them pretty light but still strong. I rode Diablo a while back on a 5" Sinister Splinter w/ a Fox 36 Van and was amazed at how well the thing worked on east coast DH conditions. Although it's a little on the porky side and I wouldn't want to pedal that thing up to much.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
You know when you really try to lay into something and you get a little sketched out in the process? This is one of those times, but for some reason it made me laugh... nice bow-legger jackass.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Trust and Stoked - those are some nice looking pics and trails! And Stoked that's a mighty big set of dubs you are jumping - damn!

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Trust, your photos make me want to say "damn."

Is that a hip? Too bad your warranty is now void.

Great photo of Doc riding too. Docs's one of the coolest people I've met, period.

Here's a good street shot

L

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
That curved wall ride looks to be worth hours of fun.

Oh, and thanks for the complements fella's.

Landon, the pic of the bow-legger table is indeed a hip. "Thunder Hip" to be specific. That's the set of doubles just before the set that Mullville boosted in the pic a few pages back.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Billy and Guy are amazing, and they ride dirt equally as well. Look for them in the new Atom Lab video.

I'm really stoked on our little team.

New Fall Guy front page, if anyone cares.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
In an unfortunate turn of events for me, it looks like I may be parting out my fall guy. If anyone here needs wheels, a nemesis tuned fork, seat tube, handlebars, or seat clamp for their fall guy (or similar bike), shoot me a pm.
Aw man, that's too bad! :(

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Since I discovered Tonic Fab on this forum, I thought I'd share some spy photos of my custom Fall Guy #47.

Details:
I ordered it unfinished, fabbed an ISCG 05 mount for the BB (I'll be running a Profile 3 speed hub), ran the rear der. internally through the seat stay, and created the 'fastback' drop out design (aesthetics only).
Finish is high luster silver powdercoat base w/translucent copper top powdercoat.

GM

Attachments